www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

There has always been much talk of this, I've seen it for ten years. Does anyone have proof of it being true or false? Does anyone know about it from manufacturing-experience?
It seems more likely factors such as temp., humidity, storage, sunlight exposure, etc affect the discs.

Tags: color

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Replying to make it go back to front page..
Definitely, color related, different plastics different stiffness/density equals diff aerodynamics. For instance, a stiffer plastic is used for a disc, resulting usually in a more domey disc which usually equals overstable, floppy plastic usually lends to understable, this is just my personal research and talking with Dave D. and friends, noone from D kraft will tell you anything(they think they are special). One day I was sitting in the lunch room at the dkraft factory and the door to the manufacture area was left open, sitting in there bs ing with stokely and stevie and harold, Kenner walks in and Freaks out! why is the door open scott, what the hell, these guys could have gone in and saw.....Saw what, what the hell am I going to see and divulge later when the torture commenced, sorry about the rant.
Oh I know, I have been to a Team D meeting (I'll take sponsorship!)
And to the factory, not allowed in.
I wonder if color matters beyond any one batch of disc? Say a red star beast and a red star teerex-are they both going to be overstable because they are red? Whats the difference in composition of the color pellets I wonder. For a FACT my new Excaliber's are more overstable in white and marble white/red than my blue or red full color..threw em all 10+ times.
If i remember right color can affect cooling time as can ambient temperature and humidity when the disc is produced. A disc that cools quickly will shrink along its diameter forcing the dome to pop up. I believe this has more to do with stability than the color does.

I don't know if the coloring agent has anything to do with the consistency of the plastic blend. If so that could also be a factor. I know back in the day we'd all go for the stiffest Rocs we could get our hands on because they would come out as the most overstable. Many of these were dark colored so it does seem to make a difference.

As far as red star Beasts go, I can say from personal experience that they are more overstable compared to other colors. I have heard dark blue is the same way but haven't gotten my hands on any yet. But I will.

Hope this helps.
I am a Plastics Eng. major at Ferris State University and the most common problem I have noticed in both Discraft and Innova plastic is Splay. Most thermoplastics absorb atmospheric moisture, which under normal processing conditions can cause degradation of the polymer. Some polymers more than others react when moisture is present at high (processing) temperatures and/or nozzle pressures. When this reaction occurs, polymer chains break, resulting in loss of properties.

Excessive moisture can manifest itself in splay, this looks like silver or white streaking (Especially in Discraft ESP, some Elite Z, and Innova Champion), blisters or degradation, which reduce the cosmetic and physical properties of molded parts. The removal of moisture is essential to ensure optimal performance of the final part.

I have not heard of the disc color affecting flight, but I will research that some now that you have brought this topic up. It may also have to do with if the virgin material is pre-colored or if colarant pellets are added at the hopper. Very interesting subject, Love this site!!
Yeah I'm thinking it's the pellets, it'd be great to catalogue what color does what to what disc..as a Buyer's Resource!
The myth I heard was that innova stacks their disc from bottom to top in ROYGBIV (rainbow) order. So that Red discs at the bottom of the stack get stable more stable and the Blue and Purple discs at the top get less stable, I suppose due to the weight flatting the disc more at the bottom. It sounds good but I'm not sure the myth is true.

I personally think it probably has more to do with the batch. Maybe the first run is green and is more stable then the second batch on a different day pressed under different conditions, humidity, temperature, etc... This would not hold true if the discs are died later in the process perhaps in a multitude of colors with the same batch. If that is the case, then perhaps the polymers or die weight is an issue.

All I know is that my green FLX buzzz is way more stable then my Blue FLX buzz even though it is two grams Lighter! My guess, different runs, different days different batch!
Stacking the discs will do nothing to the long-term flight characteristics, otherwise all you would have to do is stack some books on top of a disc to adjust the flight with that theory.

Different runs is probably the most accurate guess. Depending on what machine the mold was run in, who programmed the settings for fill, pack, and hold in the machine cycle. The material is also questionable depending how it is transported, storage conditions, how it is conveyed into the machine (auger, pneumatic, manual). There are many variables when it comes to anything outside of the first run editions.

Even the mold being used heavily could cause mold wear that would possibly add extra flash at parting lines of the mold and possibly distort the disc structure. Also make sure you have centered stamps on your discs, if they are not factory you never know what stability you are getting.
In my circle guys believe that white are the most stable of the colors. The big arms that I know require the more stable disc and only throw white Star Plastic.
Different runs of the same disc can be different depending on the consistency of managing the above mentioned factors. No scientific proof here but the color of the disc can affect how it wears over time. Now, I do know this from playing Table Tennis at the Collegiate level. Table Tennis paddles are required to have a red side and a black side. Traditionally, using the same type of surface for both red and black, the red side will be slightly faster.
I read the same thing as far as the color of the plastic equalling the cooling time and thus effecting the disc differently.
most recently in discussions about the star Xcalibers.

however, I dont think you would be able to go buy say..10 red innova monsters and throw them all consistantly the same way and have them all consistantly play the same. well, maybe at first.
good discussion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968