www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi everyone, I just wrote to ESPN having them cover some of the tournaments or championships. I think we can have a major effect on them if we all write and ask. Make sure to tell them how fast our sport is growing. Just go to espn.com and go to contact us. Thanks everyone. I don't know about you, but I would love to watch this great game on TV.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The way to getting more exposure is everyone getting behind our sport's governing body, which is the PDGA. If we put our money where our mouth is and join the PDGA, we give our association some monetary "bite" to go with our bark. As others in this post have mentioned, ESPN and Fox Sports won't look at us until the prize money and spectators increase. We get more money, we get more players. We get more players, we get a better quality competition. We get a better quality competition, we get more people coming to spectate. THEN the networks will be interested, its all about numbers and dollars.

But the key is to financially support the peak body that is working to better the sport, so if everyone joins up, we give our sport a far better chance to grow. People will have both positive and negative opinions about the PDGA and how they go about their business, but they are the governing body of our sport, and will ultimately have a major influence in how mainstream our sport becomes. If we support the PDGA by providing our cash and a strong membership base, doors will start to open which currently are slammed shut (as we all saw with the "200 to 300 years" email from ESPN earlier in this post).

DISClaimer: I'm not an expert in this sort of thing, just a guy with an opinion. I also live in Australia and have no ulterior motive for seeing the PDGA gain more membership (apart from seeing them lead the way in bringing our sport out of the "Novelty" section of the media and into the "Serious Sport" category). I'm interested in seeing what other people think of my ideas.
I think you're right on.
There's probably room for us here (obscure dodgeball movie joke):

USDGC at Torry Pinesss! on espn the ocho
Right now there are 10,000 current members... if the PDGA took 10.00 out of each persons dues thats 100,000 cash that could/should be added to the purse at the Worlds.... sounds feasable to me a 40,000 1st place prize might turn some heads.
Shouldn't a lot of the seed money that will help the sport grow be coming from the disc manufacturers, and to a degree from the basket manufacturers as well? Right now, they are getting a FREE benefit of all the promotion that the PDGA is doing for the sport.
And the PDGA gets promotion from the "PDGA Approved" on the back.

I would like to see a $1 fee from every entry in a PDGA event sent to Pro Worlds.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968