www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been stewing on this after talking to "Mr. Dark Side"(maybe he'll throw Innova again someday!lol!!) a while back. It was in regards to the Gator and how the Star version sucked. Since I was lucky enough to find some Champ Gators and that's all I've ever thrown. I thought, aside from the common diff. between Star and Champ. It should at least be the same disc/mold. So I checked some Star Gators I had stashed away to the Champ one's. Wow! What happen to the bead on the Star mold? (there is hardly a bead at all). I must say. The Star Gator is NOTHING like the Champ Gator after playing with them for several rounds!
Soo, my question is. Why do they change molds with diff. plastics? Why mess with a good thing, or Why does this happen? Is it because of the plastic and it's "molding" procedure?
Anybody have an idea WHY?

Thanks and Peace!

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can beat your complaint Rescue. I bought, at a considerable price, two CFR Star XDs. They are NOTHING close to an XD and I swear on my grave (although I'm leaning toward cremation) that they come from the Classic Roc mold! I have both Champion and Star Gators and the difference is nothing compared to the XD difference.
I'll take those lousy XDs off your hands. ;)
There is both a Gator X and a Gator L, you should first make sure that you know that you don't have one of each when making the comparisons most of them especially earlier runs may not be marked as such.

With Innova we know there is an SL and Starfire, an FL and Firebird because they are stamped as such. But there have also been Eagle X and L, Gator X and L, Monster X and L, those traditionally were not stamped as such, and in some cases not even markered on the bottom as such. They do have distinctly different molds If you know what you are looking for. Incidently the Monster X is a great disc, I never cared for the Monster L. Star Monsters I believe have always been Monster X, champ could be either and I have personally seem more L in champ.

In general Champ seems to produce more stable discs most of the time. Probably it has to do with how the materials cool that produce slightly more or less dome and in turn cause slight variations in the wing angle. Visual inspection comparing with something you have thrown and liked is probably the only foolproof way to get exactly what you want. Most of the time the response you will get is that the major companies like that a player can get a little bit of range in stability so that they can find exactly what they want. Granted you will have to figure out how to do that. Or buy from a retailer that will help you. I always do for my customers if they need something specific. and I certainly will mark those discs that have the normally unmarked L and X variations.
Yea but noramly they are still the same disc the gators arent even the same mold
I do! I carry a Champ Gator for close in shots and a Z Drone for longer shots. After all...Is there really a Dark Side in disc golf lol!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968