www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have seen more and more people using a turbo putt technique (not with Quest turbo putter). Every person I have seen using it is deadly accurate. How do you do this putt and should it be used above other putting techniques?

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you are speaking of the disc, not the actual throwing motion. If the PDGA ever decides to make a throwing motion illegal they would be quite stupid. Besides I am very good at turbo putting and that stupid disc is just retarded. It doesn't help at all. maybe it would if you have no clue as to how to do this, otherwise it's useless!!!!!!

PoeticLogic said:
I wouldn't use it. Cause you'll never get to use it in a tourament due to it's PDGA illegal as of Dec.
I spent an entire summer using only this style. It is now incredibly useful. Like a few people have said it's great for going up and around bushes or any other object in your way. However I wouldn't use it as your only way to putt. This is simply because it's really only useful for going over things. If you need to putt low your screwed or if you have to hyzer or anhyzer your screwed unless you can learn to curve the disc like I have.. I have learned how to "curve" the disc both directions but it still isn't a big enough curve to use this as my main putting style. This is because I have always compared it to throwing a curveball in baseball. As far as how to do it, there are many different ways. I have my thumb on the nub in the center of the disc, the other four fingers are as follows, Index finger outside on rim of disc, middle and ring finger tucked under rim, Pinkie finger outside on rim. When you throw this use only your index finger. All of the other fingers are there only for balance. The Index finger is what makes this work it controls the spin of the disc. Move your Forearm forward and spin your index finger around the outside rim to get the disc rotating. You can also experiment with spinning the opposite direction which makes it curve the other direction, however this is incredibly hard to do since your arm wasn't meant to bend that way. If it wobbles you have either to much arm speed or not enough spin. Keep tinkering with it until it flies smoothly. Your arm speed and disc spin have to match up to make it fly correctly.
Also if you can figure out how to get a hold of him, contact David Greenwell. He is the HOF disc golfer who supposedly invented this throw. He is from Louisville Ky which the reason that 90% of all golfers from here can throw this shot. David McCormick of Gateway Discs made everyone putt this way at one of our local tournaments last year during the Ring of Fire as a Tribute to Dave Greenwell. Everyone knew how to do it except the out of town players from Gateway, it was quite comical!
I use this putting style because I would miss the basket really bad on the left and right sides. Since I started turbo putting I'm much more accurate. When I do miss I don't have fly bys, I usually hit the basket. The technique for this putting style is a baseball throw with a slight twist of the wrist at the end of your release. Put your index and pinky fingers on the rim of the disc with your thumb in the middle. I usuall y put my thumb nail on the plastic button on the bottom of the disc.
If you ever played baseball, it's a lot like throwing a curveball.
It's a great putt to have in your bag when you need it. I practice it along with all my other putting techniques. Never know, it could be the putt that wins it for you someday.
The turbo putt seems ideal because you are dropping the disc from above the top so it would seem to be easier to get it in the basket than a straight or 'lofted' putt. The only guy I knew who did it well was also very tall. So he was really dropping the disc in from above. He struggled if it was windy or too long a putt.
i turbo putt pretty much 95% of the time. i dont consider myself
to be tall at only 5'10".i can throw a turbo putt over 100'. and am
about 75-85% accurate from 30' and in. and 50-50 at 50' and
in.i wouldnt recommend it to a beginner.i would sooner see a
new player learn a standard putt or a straddle putt before learning
to turbo putt.

Yeddie VanHalen said:
The turbo putt seems ideal because you are dropping the disc from above the top so it would seem to be easier to get it in the basket than a straight or 'lofted' putt. The only guy I knew who did it well was also very tall. So he was really dropping the disc in from above. He struggled if it was windy or too long a putt.
And which disc is your favorite for this? I have tried using a standard putter but am beginning to feel the midrange Roc or Buzz has been getting better distance and is a little more cofortable.

Chris Perkins said:
i use the turbo putt above all other putting stances. it is deadly accurate when practiced.i put my thumb in the middle of the disc. i then set the rim in the first joint of the fingers.when comming forward with the disc be sure to spin it fast as you can. i can throw a turbo putt upwards of 100feet and more.i hit accuratly (7-9 out of 10) from 30 feet. the most important thing is practice.i wouldnt recomend this put for a new player.its a utility throw like a tomahawk or thumber.its good to have in case you need it but not for every putt.watch the pros and see how often the top flight players throw one.
i throw a max wieght DX Aviar.I have found it to be the most accurate
and easiest to throw of all putters. i know one gentleman here who
throw a Birdie and a ryno i belive for his Turbos but i put my trust in
the Aviar.

Rich Drawdy said:
And which disc is your favorite for this? I have tried using a standard putter but am beginning to feel the midrange Roc or Buzz has been getting better distance and is a little more cofortable
Just started turbo putting as my primary putt recently and I've been finding it far more accurate than my standard backhand. I was having a lot of left and right misses, even up close with backhand putting. Turbo putting seems to put me online almost every time, and if I miss it never goes far. I still run 25+ foot putts backhand but my range is improving. :)

Oh, I use a 172 Glow Aviar for it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968