www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Got Michael Jordan syndrome?
CTP for a buck? $kin$ $.50 a hole? $1 $5 Overall $5 Mystery $kin$ $Side Bet? Wolf?
Sound Familiar?
Are you unable to play disc golf unless there is money on the line?
This is not Disc Golf Gamblers Anonymous... just an opportunity to expand upon what goes on at the disc golf course.
Have any new games? Can you explain it?
A lot of these games push you to putt harder (run putts you normally don't. Helping you to understand you abilities that you would not normally would not find out about under 'normal' conditions..)

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We play Wolf with a big group regularly.....A few of us like to double and triple the skins on the line regularly.

Along with the Wolf we have the :
$1 dollar metal
$2 Leaner(disc end up leaning against the pin)
$3 Chains
$4 on top of basket (must remain there)
$5 ace (If you happen to not win Big $ from our local ace pot)

I love the way a side bet(game) can make you run at a putt you may normally lay up or just lay up at a putt you would usually go for.

Who could respond to this without bringing up BAG tags. These are the greatest of side bets IMO (kinda like bragging rights materialized.)
But, Non-player, if you make the bets you are supposed to pay up. Not tell the others that I will catch up with you later. Let a couple weeks go by and you hope that they will just forget that you owe them money. Part of betting is paying and you have a problem with that part. When money is owed it is not up to the winners to wait on their money or have to chase you to collect. That is why we now get the money up front on Wed. nite doubles and Sunday handicaps.
wow. some good ideas here. and not to take anything away from that, but I guess we all play for different reasons. Not that thats bad or anything. but lately there have been times when I go to play a "casual" round with friends and I dont have a dollar to my name. I'd feel bad if my group started gambling and I couldnt participate .
Is the game itself not fun enough ?
Now the times I've played mini's obviously I had enough cash, and I did enjoy the CTP for a buck thing, or any side bets. but I would be frustrated if that was a regular thing for me. just my two cents.
At my last tournament in the afternoon I was on the same card as my daughter because we had tied. Everybody on the card was within a stroke of each other. We had all sucked in the morning.

I suggested we play Lonely Birdie Lonely Bogie for funny money skins. This is the game where if you are the only person in the foursome to shoot under par on a hole, everybody pays you a skin, and if you are the only one to shoot over par on a hole, you pay everyone a skin. Kelsey was game. The other guys on the card did not want in. That was pretty disappointing.
The underlying factor in these games is not the money. Yeah it is nice to win.
But these games push you to play more effectively.
You run putts, and try shots you would normally not have tried in a 'normal' round.
Yes you can actual learn something....
I'm not a great fan of traditional skins. The luck factor is just too high. Someone can play like dirt all day, hit a lucky shot at the end when all the skins have carried over ( no thanks to him) and walk away the big winner. Good games diminish luck and emphasize skill. If I wanted to gamble based on luck then I don't need a frisbee.

If I wanted to increase the luck factor I would just play on poorly designed baskets that arbitrarily reject apparently good putts. Oh, wait, I already do that. (sorry for the thread drift)

But skins is a really good game for 3 players. The version I usually play is skins with no carry-overs. So each skin is worth 1 betting unit. It even makes the math much easier when each skin is worth 1 dollar. If the chance of losing $18 (18 holes times $1) is more risk than anyone in the group can handle, fine, just set a maximum burn (the most you can lose) at $5 or whatever.

Non-carry -over skins is just a version of match play. Match play is a great format.
I call this games Solo Birdies and Bogies. The great thing about this game is that it is a perfect complement to tournament play. That is, if you are in a tournament and playing in a later round where you are clearly out of cashing range, it gives you something to play for other than your handicap rating.

Here, skins doesn't work well. Since in a tourney your total score matters, there are times when for skins purposes you want to run a long risky putt but for score purposes you want to play much safer.

Another version of this game which I recently played in a tourney round was First Solo Birdie and First Solo Bogie. So the most you could win (in a 4 -some) for the Solo Birdie is $3 and the most you could lose for the Solo Bogie is $3. If you wanted a smaller bet then have the winner of the Solo Birdie collect a dollar from the loser of the Solo Bogie (unless they are the same person then the winner has to take a dollar out of his right pocket and put it in his left-since you always pay your bets).
Yeah,
Agree.
Played great round of golf (skins) carried over many a shots, to the next hole. Having no skins, but playing great! Only to lose to chance from a lucky shot, Same with wolf, paying out an uncomfortable cash amount to some lucky person.
Experimented: can't win the carryover if that player did not match the previous hole tie score. Example: if a birdie tied up the last hole, than only a player with a birdie can win the carryover and the hole. With the exception of an Ace.
Too complicated?! Sometimes, you'd be surprised.

Limiting the amount of cash is a better idea, in some cases.
And zero carry overs. Just end that run (wash the hole).
Organization what a great idea.....
Learning to play while under pressure is what a bet adds to the game. When your the last putt to push or win skins that have carried over for ten holes and all eyes are on you (not to mention south Louisiana chicken feet), and you can learn to still make that high pressure "clutch" putt. You have improved your game all around.
South Louisiana Chicken Feet? South Louisiana Chicken Feet???
in Syracuse, NY we play 315 (our area code)

$3 for chains
$1 for metal (pole, basket, top)
$5 for Ace

usually we can see most of the baskets and can tell if it hit the pole or basket, quiet woods help to hear that sweet sound too

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968