www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

still feel that i am very new to this sport - i have been playing 6 yrs - but to be honest i didn't really play consistently until 2yrs ago - how do judge what disc is going to be the right throw - trying getting a more consistent throw - need more distance -

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well i found that slowing down in your search for "power" and working on improving your accuracy and release get you more distance than trying to throw as hard as you can.
As for choosing what discs to use, take em all with you out to a field and throw em over and over again till you get a feel for what each one does.
I have definitely done that a few times - today was playing just like that - sometimes the people you play with are the distraction - thank you - i guess putting time into learning my drive over and over in a field is the way to go, gotta get that side arm throw down too
I like the term "getting the most out of your discs". There are a lot of great throws in each of our discs. We just need to coax them out.

The more you throw a disc the more you learn about that disc. I have had a disc in my bag for the past few years that I throw at least a few times every round. Add all the practice shots between rounds and it has thousands of throws under its belt. Thank goodness it is candy plastic and so is little changed from its original condition. The value of that disc to me is not just what it can do but what I know it can do and the confidence I have in it.

So the value of fewer discs in the bag is that I throw each of them more often. But the value of more discs is that there are more choices and potential flight patterns. It is a never ending struggle for me to decide whether to add another disc to the bag. For tournaments I will carry "risk discs" or backup discs even though I hate the extra weight ( It seems like I can feel even an extra disc or two. Maybe I am imagining it but it seems like it. ) So many times those backup discs never get thrown but the security of having them there is almost worth their weight.

If I had a big, strong caddy I would carry twice as many discs as I do now. I find it entertaining to see some players who have huge bags and overstuff the heck out of them. It looks like some of them have 30 or more discs with them. My back would not be happy with that kind of weight.
i appreciate the insight - i think i need to narrow down my favorite drives - a couple dependable mid range - i one decent driver - had buddy with the soft magnet without endorsing an disc that is one fantastic putter - 10 - 12 disc appears the best choice.
The bare minimum I would be comfortable with would be 9 discs. One overstable, one undertstable and one straight in each of the three categories (driver, mid and putter). Not that is impossible to make a disc do the opposite of its natural flight path (anhyzer with an overstable disc) but the margin of error is much smaller.

With enough skill you can make a disc do darn near anything. I'm just not good at that skill thing.

One of my early teachers was Al Schack. I ioved his method for evaluating a new disc. He would just throw it with his natural form and power on three different lines (hyzer, straight and anhyzer) and see what the disc did. Then he would remember just what it did and use the disc for only those lines (or if it did nothing well then it never went into the bag). So Schack doesn't force a disc to do anyhting, he just uses it for what it naturally does.

The Schack method doesn't work as well for a developing player as it does for an established pro. Schack has been a top pro for 20 years. His form and power are consistent from year to year. A developing player should be gradually changing (improving) over time. So a disc which is too overstable today may be perfect for a year or two later. The key is to remember what a disc does and then remember what discs you have in your collection. The normal urge is to go buy new discs when you have a need to fill. It may be that you have discs in the basement which are exactly what you are looking for.
My advice is to watch the top Pro Women throw. They have great form and are super consistent. Due to the fact that most women are physically different from men, finesse and fluidity allows them to throw some of the most beautiful shots. I believe they are truly getting the most out of there discs.
Rick, are you sure that you aren't just looking for an excuse to ogle the chicks?
haha, always.

:)
well i wish there more women out playing disc golf - at least not my area - but either way - thank you for the ongoing advice - I know t people always say just get out a field and throw - I find tedious - if I am 2 hrs to kill i rather be on a course - but then i realize I really need to improve the accuracy of those 100 foot throw - i guess the approach range
some good advice here. I can't really add anything other than practice,practice,practice.

nothing worng with that IMO :) and jeez. my first tournament I played my group kept getting a starting tee behind the womans group. I cant complain.. but talk about distracting .haha.
personally i would take the 2hours and do some fields practice becuase if you go play at a course most of the time your going to play like you always do so when you go to a new course you wont know what your disc will do for that hole/shot.

there are many times when i go to play (excecally at a course i have never seen) i get in situations that i dont know how to get out of becuase i dont know what my disc do

lately iv been doing alot of field practice just working on my form and shots i dont normally take like thumbers rollers sidearm(mids and putters) and just by doing that i have helped myself when i get into those odd situtions
i've seen the pdf articles on throws and steps that need to be taken i just can't do it - but definitely practice on a field would help. for instance played today with a disc that i hardly know it has huge fade to the right it cost me a stroke

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968