www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am interested to hear from the serious players out there with families. Is it even possible to be serious about disc golf with a family? Does anyone have some good advice or stories ? FYI -- my bio picture is my wife and child. Cute, aren't they? :)

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had to deal with this greatly over the past 6 months, luckily I have the best wife ever, she has never quite found the "bug" for disc golf but is understanding that it is my passion and #1 hobby, along with a very paying nice part-time job to help support the family. Especially with having our first child born a week before my first episode of PDGA Radio, she comes with me on some trips but it's difficult as I'm playing and she's left to sightsee or otherwise occupy a good part of the day by herself in a strange city, once my daughter gets older It's likely she'll be playing and we'll make it more of family event, but until then the only thing that is truly hurting me is my ability to find time and go out to simply practice my game as evidenced by my completely stagnant rating. However I do know that there are some people on the tour working to eventually provide an on-course childcare option to sort of help with some of these issues.
Great question. People are different so what works or what doesn't work out for one may be fine or not fine for another. From my experience, I found it very difficult to find a balance to continue to be a serious disc golfer and in the end gave up tournaments for 5 years and then all out playing for 5 more years.

The interest by the other half was just not there. The other half is no longer and I have started back playing again. Forgot how much I liked Disc Golf.

Involvement is the key at any level.

Bruce has some good suggestions.

Good Luck.
This weekend was a perfect example of balance. My wife was out of town visiting her mom and I thought I would be able to play Sinnissippi. However, my daughter had a soccer tournament. I bagged my tournament and watched hers. She was thrilled that I was there. I rode my bike to the tournament and got some exercise. Later in the day I went to a course and played with a frenzy for two hours and came home dripping in sweat after a vigorous practice session grinning ear to ear. Everybody won that day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968