www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Often it seems we attribute a 50ft putt to luck, or more often it seems a nice 100-200 ft shot to luck. and of course those Ace;s all of you seem to be getting..to luck.
But I always seem to think ..well, if you threw in the general direction of the basket and maybe closed your eyes it might be luck, but otherwise if you were aiming for the basket and it goes in in any situation ( ok..maybe unless it skips in or bounces off a tree..) then it was skill!! right?

Ok. so then what about all those missed shots? do we suck that bad? or is it not as easy as some make it look? haha..ok, maybe its just me!

Do you contribute a nice long shot or putt to skill or luck? I say skill.

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good tumble though...very entertaining!
if it happen at reed canal...
tumblereed
It all comes down to what you consider luck to be. take a 50' putt for example: skill is definitely involved but there are intangibles also. There are 2 players, a pro and a newbie. The pro player steps up and jump putts a mostly straight shot that slowly makes its way to the basket and drops right in. The new player doesn't quite have that control with the firebird he's putting with. He steps up and plays his extreme hyzer putt and it somehow manages to miss everything and have the exact line it takes to stay in the basket. Sure they both make the basket but was one luckier than the other? I think so. Disc golf comes down to consistency and odds. Choosing the highest percentage shot (ie. the right line and disc ) for a situation gives you a better chance to make the shot, hence decreasing the need for luck. The newbie was luckier in this situation because he had the smaller window for success yet was still triumphant.

Also in the same regard, and something that has bothered me in my small experience playing, is the "perfect" shot that goes wrong. its not a "perfect shot gone wrong" if your drive skips way into the woods after hitting the fairway or a putt slides right through the chains. the gods are not punishing you, it just wasn't perfect. Perfect shots end up good, thats why they are called such. If you hit the chains dead center you have a better chance of making it but not 100%.

As far as lucky charms are concerned: being superstitious is a strange habit. people like to take confidence from a certain token, so that if they do badly they can shift the blame to it instead of taking responsibility for themselves. its easy and many people do it. i'm not saying its wrong, but its kinda silly.

Whether luck exists is or not, it is an intangible just like being "clutch" in high pressure situations. its good to have but measuring it is tough. Mr. Ellis and Mr. Brakel (good shooting btw) do with this what you will...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968