www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

how can i go about getting or making
a basket for me and my daughter

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unless you are extremely handy and/or have very limited funds, I recommend purchasing one. There are not only top of the line models that stick into the ground permanently, but those same models on a circular base with wheels for portability. As well, each has at least one portable model that is light-weight, sometimes one that folds up for carrying.

I don't want to suggest a manufacturer for you, but the ones that I know of which make baskets are Discraft, the Disc Golf Association (not really an association), and Innova. Best of all would be that you locate a bricks and mortar store near you and buy local. You may find one with a selection to compare to physically, especially of the portable ones.

If you let people know where you are located, I bet someone in here knows a good local store.
thanks Mr.Calhoun i am in mobile alabama
I agree completely with Terry. Buying one is the way to go!. I don't think that making a good basket is feasible for your average golfer.I did lots of research before buying my basket. I would recommend determining how exactly you plan on using the basket to determine which one to purchase. If portability is your primary concern there are several models. Search the net and there are reviews to be found about each.

I am paticularly fond of the instep basket. They are inexpensive and very portable. If you search on Ebay for instep and basket there are several vendors on there that will sell you one for between 80-9- dollars including shipping. I have two. I added inner chains to the chain hanger with materials I purchased from Home Depot for less than $20.00 each. That gave me a 21 chain basket for right at $100.00. If you got alot more money than 100 bucks then you can buy one from someone else! I downloaded the plans the guy is selling for $9.99 and found out it was going to take @ $65-70 for materials to build so you add the $9.99 and you've spent $80 for a basket that looks like it was made out of stuff from the junkyard.

Just my opinion!

Nibs
I just bought an Innova DisCatcher Pro which is portable. It is a very well put together basket that comes in five pieces. I also have a Ching Skillshot which folds up into two pieces that is pretty handy. I would recommend either, but if you have the cash go for the DisCatcher Pro. It costs about 180 plus shipping depending on where you go. I believe the Skillshot would be about 100 plus shipping, or somewhere around that.
I also have a Innova DisCatcher Pro basket and really like it. Great construction. It catches like the better $400 range baskets. However, I don't leave my basket outside and expose it to the elements overnight. I imagine with time if left outside all the time it would eventually rust since it isn't designed for permanent installation. I got it fairly cheap($159) at Disc Golf center. com with free shipping! Disc golf center is a great web site for disc purchases as well since you can pick weight and color with free shipping.
If you can afford it go ahead and buy a Mach III.
Top of the line.
If you live in Mobile, just look up Jim Orum. He probably has just what you need.
Why exactly do people think a Mach III is top of the line? I mean just because it is $400 doesn't mean it is the best. Discatchers and Titans are better and cheaper as well. Anyway I would Recommend the instep if you are just using it int he backyard but if you want a solid portable go with the REAL discatcher or a Titan Portable.
Although I also recommend you purchase one, if you are handy, and don't have the $ (economic times being what they are), you can build your own for practice using this design (for which you pay $10):

http://www.tourbeaufort.com/discgolfbasket.htm

or use this site design for free:

http://www.orsdiscgolf.com/02oregonseries/build_a_basket.htm

Enjoy, and best of luck for the New Year!
I pasted part of my earlier reply below. The instep baskets cost @ as much as the materials to build one from thos plans. If you have the money for a discraft or Innova or dga by all means get one of those. But If you only have 100 bucks or less by the instep and leave the hardware at the store.

"I downloaded the plans the guy is selling for $9.99 and found out it was going to take @ $65-70 for materials to build so you add the $9.99 and you've spent $80 for a basket that looks like it was made out of stuff from the junkyard."

Nibs
chainstar from discraft is best catching basket ive ever used...DGA machlite is best portazble basket around, bar none...innova discatcher has a huge yellow chastity belt and i detest them, though they do catch discs very well, i just hate the yellow disc magnet,, i mean metal band...never putted on a titan but i would like to see one...if you are super cheap hang a tire from a tree and go for the hole in the middle....i know a guy in town here that practiced his putting on a basketball pole in his driveway, and he is deadly accurate, since his normal sweet spot for practice is only 3 inches wide...he taped off the target area so the heigth would be correct...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968