www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

OK, how many of you are going to attend the 2008 Worlds in Lansing Michigan? How many of you have taken the time and looked at what the courses look like? Well I have looked and it looks like on most holes that they just took a big front end loader or a bulldozer and rode thru the woods. . The fairway are from 4 to 14 feet wide, very few field shots, and no down hill or off a cliff shots. Some of the courses do not have concrete or even rubber mats. If these are championship course, the people in Michigan should get out of state more often. Playing in the World's one would expect to play on real championship courses. These course are far from that. Now lets hear from the locals in Lansing.

Tags: Michigan

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For Victory, Oshtemo and Robert Morris the holes are all long enough that the basket will be tough to see from a photo. Coldbrook is a lot shorter compared to those other 3 courses.

Victory park is a new course in Albion and it can be a tough course with lots of OB from roads and water. The water comes into play on probably half of the holes. There aren't any blind shots here, but lots of big oak trees throughout the course and it can be technical because of the water.

Oshtemo is a tough, long course. The fairways are anywhere from 80 to 200 feet wide at most on pretty much every hole and staying in the fairway is key here. Throw straight and throw midranges at times instead of going for the long deuce. Definitely not poke and hope though.

Robert Morris has 3 holes that are poke and hope, holes 1, 2 and 8 but last I heard hole 8 may not be there come worlds. Get 3's on 1 and 2 and you are golden though. The rest of the course is mostly open with good usage of elevation. One hole is around 750-800 feet long but plays longer because the drive is uphill. The rest of the course has holes between 300 and 500.

Coldbrook will be a course that your group will like. Short and technical. From the courses you mention in Florida you may not like the pinball style trees at this course, but a player can go way under par there, or way over if they have a hard time hitting gaps.

I now understand where you are coming from and I apologize to jump so quickly on your comments. Running a tournament as big as this is a lose/lose situation most times so your comments struck me from a different angle. I am not local there, but I used to be and I am involved on a smaller level with the worlds process this year.

All of those courses have good teepads now as well. Coldbrook used to be bad and Oshtemo now has two sets of teepads on every hole as of last summer. I played Victory this winter when there weren't any teepads but I do believe they have since been added.
Thanks EZ$ GB #554
way shorter, more trees and a wind machine....that's what they need. and yes, he did out himself....912 rated, what up?
Mark Kruse, please explain your ramblings. I am 61 and have played the game of disc golf since the game was conceived. My players rating means what to you? At least I have played in 10 Worlds. Here in Florida I have won a few and lost a lot, but I still step up to the pad and give my best try.
MK, How many years have you been an am?
Ben, I believe that Coldbrook now has all brand new tees.
well, there is alot of info both positive and negative....I will be there for the worlds and bringing some of floridas finest juniors as well. We are excited to be going, tough courses or easy. I don't think it matters to the kids. As my 13 yr old, cameron , said "good thing we play on tight courses in sarasota". Looks like we are going to need the practice.
Does anyone know how the distance competition is handled, is it seperated dy division, such as jr , adv, pro?
and the putting as well. would appreciate some input.
thanks to all, hope to see everyone up there in aug.
A big shout out to Gary B.

p.s. Thanks to all of you in florida who have supported the juniors this year and all of your help. A special thanks to SUNKING DISCS SPORTS especially. The best disc golf dealer in florida!!!
The newest version of the schedule (8.8) lists lists a new course for my division (Pro GM): Fort Custer. The PDGA Course Directory doesn't list Fort Custer. Has Ft. Custer been installed? Could we get a basic rundown (location, course map, degree of completion, etc.) from someone involved with Worlds?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968