www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey guys, just sharing a tip I think I figured out this spring. Last fall I saw the need to improve my "stand and deliver" distance and accuracy. Since then, have been workign hard on throwing a lot of shots this way... Since then, I've really noticed that my driving has gotten longer as well, because of my focus on the rotation in my shots.

See Steve Brinster drive, and you'll see what I mean about quickness from reachback to release.

Work on this part of your game, and you'll see a big improvement in your game, and no need to run up on a LOT of shots...

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use the stand and deliver approach frequently; on any shot where I need dead accuracy, it eliminates factors that can lead to a shank. As you have discovered, practicing this technique really lengthens your shot. My best guess, as you've pointed out, is that it forces the fundamentals; proper pull through, quick snap, emphasis on unwinding the elbow. For me, it also slows down my shot. Many of my throwing errors come because I force the throw, feeling pressure from the situation; or that I force my throwing motion, making the common mistake that distance comes from pulling harder.

A full run up has many benefits, but one detraction is that it allows you to hide errors in your technique. A lot of players feel that full run up is key to having a "good" throw, good being defined as long. They never take the time to step back from their run up to see what the components of their throw are and how they fit together. The stand in throw allows you to eliminate half your throwing routine so you can focus on the most important part.

Dave Dunipace has commented on standing in saying that with proper technique, you should be able to get 350 feet. My experience is the same. I don't get the distance that Dave does (I limit out at 320 feet or so when standing in) but for most courses and especially on holes that require accuracy, this distance is more than sufficient. Interesting enough, despite Dave's recognition of throwing like this, there is great resistance by many players to even consider using a stand and deliver throw (see the Stand and Deliver thread on the PDGA MB).

For my game, S&D has meant two to four strokes per round depending on the course and a heightened confidence on the Tee that I will make my shot because I have a formidable tool in my arsenal. Even more so, I know that it is a tool that many other players don't want to embrace meaning that I have an advantage.
I agree. once worked on it adds accuracy and an equal distance to those shots I just dont really "need" to step-up or run-up to anymore.
and very true Lyle. it's something that takes confidence to do but once your good at it it does give an advantage. IMO anyways.
I use a similar technique on my opening drive. It's more of a small 2 step-up style. It is far more accurate for me than a run-up that might end up costing me a stroke or two when it sails wide. It might not go quite as far, but I have a pretty good idea where my shot will land. It also allows me to put a better snap in my throw giving me more distance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968