www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I discovered today at Trophy Lakes that a person in our Club found one of my discs (at a different course), scratched off my name and had been playing with it. The only way I found this out was my disc was turned into the pro shop at Trophy Lakes after someone had dived for discs at the course. I do not know the person who wrote their name on my discs but someone told me the person recently joined our club. Any suggestions on how I should handle this so it does not happen to anyone else. I plan on talking to our President about it but I do not want any bad vibes or to isolate anyone.

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool, I left him a message about it. I told him he should bid on it...lol
A disc on found is a disc found, how is any one supposed to know the throwers intentions. The right thing to do is call if there is a number,if not new disc
gr8rocshot has made reference to "Squids". Probably many readers do not know what the heck a Squid is.

I learned about Squids when I visited Cliff Stevens Park in Clearwater, Florida for the Flying Eye Amateur World Championships (really just a cool tournament with a fancy name but Nick Sartori, TD, was bigger than life as well) somewhere in the 1990's. Squids are the local young kids who will jump in the gator infested waters to retreive your disc for a buck.

So I arrived at Cliff Stevens Park a few days early to learn the course. This was early in my playing days when I was a weak, backhand-throwing amateur (as opposed to my current exalted status as a weak, old, forehand-throwing Pro). I only had a few turnover drivers with me. I lost them all on these short turnover shots over the water. But there was a pack of Squids willing to jump in the water and search for discs. Well, I was desperate. All of my flip discs were in Davey Jones' locker (submerged). So the kids jumped in and searched and found discs. But not mine. With the tourney starting the next day, I told the Squids I would pay $10 for any disc with my name on it. The Squids loved this idea because they normally only got a buck for a disc pulled out of the water. They concluded I was either rich or stupid or both. So the word grew and for the next few days there was this small army of squids following me around the course, hoping I would shank yet another disc into the drink. So as not to disappoint them I did so regularly. Then they would all frantically dive in to try to find the prize. I don't think I ever got back any of my flip discs but the squids went deep into their stores to sell me all kinds of interesting finds.

Maybe that is where the San Marino Roc on ebay came from. Maybe not, too.

The other thing I learned on that trip was the term "Schuul" Schuul is the rough part of the rough. So the next time you throw your disc in a spot where you never want to go, welcome to the schuul.
Good times!!!! I was probably there. The original Lizard Lawyer Games. We...well I spell it Shule. The point is you want no part of it....Palmetto Shule, Deep Shule, Bloody Shule... I have defined them on the disctionary forum.
A few weeks ago I was throwing a very late glow round with some buddies. I was the first in my group to throw on a blind hole they curves to the right. I had a perfect toss and when we got near the basket my disc had vanished. We had flash lights and we still couldn't find it anywhere. When we started the round we heard some people out on the course ahead of us, I was pretty sure they had heard us coming behind them and stole my disc. Exactly a week later I found my disc on a different part of the course. They had drawn all over it and there was a new last name on it along with "est. 5/5/08", which was the same day I lost it. The chances that somehow my group of 6 buddies with flashlights couldn't find it and then a group behind us the same night finding it is slim to none. I then looked in the directory and found that there was only one person with this last name that was now on my disc, so I left them a message and told them I found their disc. Still waiting for the guy to get back to me, I sure hope he does so I can meet him at the course and yell at him for stealing my disc right off the fairway. What would you guys do in this situation?
Leave them another message, that kinda sounds like fun, if they call back. It may not be the same person...but could be a relative. I wouldn't call more then twice.
The good thing is you got it back, too bad they had to write all over it.

Maybe it is time to meet some of the new players, gather some intel. Let them know about club activities, rules of the game, not nice to steal, etc.
I agree with Mr. Ellis. When I lose a disc and give up looking for it I have given up any right to the disc.
good story mark. hers one for yeah.
I was at the Abilene Wild hair tournament last year and on one hole there is a creek that runs in front of the green. so this squid set up shop swimming in the creek just waiting for the chance to retrieve discs for a few bucks.
sure enough my shot landed in the creek and as we walked up he happily held up my disc and offered it to me for a few dollars. I wasnt exactly thrilled at this since I think I could have found the disc myself..I mean I didnt even get a chance to look for it. so I looked down and noticed the kids shoes and socks on the grass . I picked them up and offered to trade the squid his shoes for my disc. he got a little upset at this proposition,haha.
I ended up giving him one of my meal tickets though.

to the topic though. lately I've been catching some pick-up groups with newer players and for some reason I've found a few discs. unfortunately no names or anything on the discs I found. but I pointed out to the group that it's a good idea to write your name/# on your discs.

one time a kids dad called me from a baseball game to tell me his kid found my disc . I had been throwing some at that park earlier in the day. I was so happy because it was the first time anyone actually called me about a found disc. so I drove over and gave the kid $5 and a disc I didnt use.

I believe in Karma.
Yes I agree. If you lost it, you lost it. If you really want THAT disc back from somebody who found it then offer a trade or buy it back... or just buy a new one.
I think an attempt at least, should always be made. I know a disc is just a disc, but what if you're wallet fell out of your bag at dusk. You looked for a long time, and decided to wait for the light the next morning. Did you "abandone" your wallet, and donate it to anyone who found it?

I don't have a whole lot of cash, so I value every disc, and it sucks to lose them.
eric beich wrote: "good story mark. hers one for yeah.
I was at the Abilene Wild hair tournament last year and on one hole there is a creek that runs in front of the green. so this squid set up shop swimming in the creek just waiting for the chance to retrieve discs for a few bucks.
sure enough my shot landed in the creek and as we walked up he happily held up my disc and offered it to me for a few dollars. I wasnt exactly thrilled at this since I think I could have found the disc myself..I mean I didnt even get a chance to look for it. so I looked down and noticed the kids shoes and socks on the grass . I picked them up and offered to trade the squid his shoes for my disc. he got a little upset at this proposition,haha.""

That story is freakin hilarious.
Nice one, Mark!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968