www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 1857

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a reason why none of the top players throw forehand, that being you can't do as much with it long term as you can with the back hand. The strength of the backhand is that the natural motion of the pull through, if done correctly, puts a lot of snap, i.e. spin, on the disc while keeping the disc on the correct line.

The forehand does not do this. First, the forehand naturally plays to arm speed and not snap, therefore, to get a good throw, you have to work hard to get adequate snap to compensate for the arm speed (this is the reason you see so many off axis torque throws with the forehand). Getting the combination right is definitely possible, but not nearly as easy. All of that said, there is no way to mimic the motion that buts the same kind of snap on the disc that you can get with the backhand.

For the sport of disc golf this isn't absolutely necessary. Most holes are way shorter than can be mastered with a forehand. But you do play from a disadvantage on longer open holes. More importantly, the forehand is hard on your arm. This can't be sliced or diced any other way. The forehand works your shoulder joint like you're pitching a baseball. That wear and tear is going to add up long term. The backhand, if managed correctly, is a lot easier on your arm long term.

One other thing to consider, as many left hand players will tell you, those rotten right hand players design most of the courses. In general, courses favor right hand back hand players. If you are a forehand player, you are playing against a course that favors right hand back hand players. That means in a given round you're giving up a lot of bird opportunities if you're shot plays away from the basket. That's a tough row to hoe, but that's the way it is.
I've seen some of the "top players" throw a mean sidearm.. not sure where you gathered that intel?
O.K., so I overstated the case :).

Let me restate, there are very few top Pros that play side arm, and the top players who do use the sidearm as their primary drive are not in the elite players of our sport.

Everything else I wrote holds true at some level, it is harder on your arm and it isn't as long.

BTW - I'd never say not to use a forehand, I use one frequently, several times a round, but I'd have to say that making it your primary, places you at a disadvantage.
That should be disc-advantage!!! ...lol.
can you say Geoff Bennett?
Both, if you can.....IMO, having the ability to throw a variety of shots can only lead to a more rounded game.
Mark Ellis is one FUNNY guy....

There's ONE touring pro who throws forehands, and throws them incredibly well... After seeing Geoff Bennett @ the River Cities RUmble, I was IMPRESSED! Check out discgolftv.com, and search for Bennett. Search for the rumble, or "final nine". You'll find a solid 9 holes of play w/ Geoff.

I'm not totally sure about the two from personal experience, as I don't use forehands as much as I used to try to. Does thowing a forehand require a lot more room in order to get that kind of distance? That could be one possibility.

I believe another reason is that beacause of the major muscle groups used in backhand eventualy become stronger, you get your hips into a hackhand more....

It IS good to have both throws, for versatility's sake. A backhand anny flies different than a forehand, and can be useful to have both in your repertoir... At least try workign on your backhand. It takes a LOT of time to master, but here a couple years after I just barely could to a slow X-step walkthrough approach - I'm hucking 400+ no problem. It's very possible - I coached & converted a friend to abckhand this year, and he's throwing 300 already this summer.
Geoff Bennett throws predominately forehand. There are a couple others, but not many. I throw LHBH, and RHFH. I play almost all sports right handed. The only sports I play(ed) left handed are Ping Pong, and Frisbee. My right hand/arm are stronger than my left. I will never have the power in my left hand/arm that I have in my right. I would have never reached my full potential if not for the Side Arm throw. I have heard the same thing you have from the top local pro etc, and I completely disagree. I would have stopped playing competitively if I only had a Back hand.

I have some friends who are casual players they were frustrated with the lack of distance they were getting with backhand drives, they switched to Sidearm, and are very happy with the results.

I LOVE the Sidearm-
amen brother !! and glad to see mark ellis clairify his earlier statement as being sarcastic, i was worried maybe i had missread about mark being pro forehand as well as avery,geoff and cubby, these guys are my heros, the wind beneith my discs so to speak LOL sorry, i had to thro that in, i couldnt resist.

peace and may the forehand be with ya - dc
I have been playing for roughly 2 years now and the flick, sidearm, forehand, whatever you want to call it, is my main drive. Of course this varies depending on the needed shot, but I was told to throw, my first inclination would be to throw flick!! The backhand just does not feel right in the body but I will use it when needed. My advice, throw what works for you!!!! Learn everthing or every type of throw cause you never know when they may be needed, but know what you like to do most and what works best for you. Keep throwin"!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard a local refer to the backhand as "the hippy" the other day. As in, "wait, you're gonna throw that "hippy?" Funny too, cuz he kinda was a hippy. Word.
Do what works for you........Your score will be better for it.

I've been working on turnover shots with my backhand and they are improving, but when it counts I still use the forehand for the same shot.
I'm not saying you shouldn't work on a backhand drive. I'm just saying that it doesn't make you any less of a competitor to predominantly throw forehand.

Throw what you know....know what you throw....(this is someone's signature on another discussion board......i thought it was fitting ;)

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968