www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 2141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have thrown almost entirely backhand for the past 9 1/2 years. Up through last season, if I broke out any version of a forehand, it was because I was in serious trouble and throwing caution to the winds. (I can lean out from behind a tree and do okay with a 20-foot forehand putt, though, if pressed.)

Somehow, this spring, I have now developed a decent forehand throw. I still can't do a true forehand hyzer, or a soft 'touch' forehand throw, but I can thow a very nice and accurate 200- to 300-foot forehand. Actually, I suspect that I can throw forehand a little further than backhand right now, with some practice with understable discs for consistency, and my backhand tops out at about 325.

As an old guy, I have definitely noticed that it takes less effort and a lot less out of me to throw a 200- to 300-foot forehand than a similar backhand. I begin to suspect that as I get older I may be relying more and more on the forehand.
My Canadian friend calls sidearm, "Johnny". But he is Irish Canadian so he is usually drunk.
let me put it blunt lyle your a friggin idiot saying that a sidearm throw requires more arm speed and has no snap obviously you have NO FORM =D and mark your one of my heros and DC i want your body ;) (joke)

but i have been throwing sidearm for about a year and a half now im throwing about 300 or 350 on a good day and i have been throwing backhand for about a month now altho i did not have any shoulder or knee problems till i started throwing backhand so iv'e pretty much giving up on backhand drives unless there shorties i struggles with backhand off and on for about a year untill one of the local throws gave me the stink eye and told me to knock it off its not for me lol but yeah dude just do what feels right when i throw a backhand drive its like throwing left handed it jus dont feel right

there are alot of errors of throwing sidearm like not being consistant but all i can say is find a disc that works for you i mean no one can really tell you the best disc to use *cought* wraith * cough* =)
Like you, I started out primarily throwing flicks off the tee. At some point, I decided to commit to learning a really strong backhand so that I was able to do both. I figured it would be one more option that I have - another bullet in the gun, so to speak. I am so glad that I did.

I heartily recommend that you try it - commit to the backhand for a couple of months. Talk to guys who throw strong backhands and get their pointers. Nose down, follow through. I doubled the distance my backhand flew within a month of committing to it, and it has become my "tee shot of choice," if you will. Even if you don't have the success that I did, you undoubtedly have experienced moments where you would like to be able to throw a backhand (or else you wouldn't have started this discussion). When these times come you will, at the very least, feel more confident than you did before.
When I started playing the sport there was nobody who threw a forehand that I could learn from. The pros where I played almost looked down at forehands for some reason. I wished I had spent some time developing a forehand because there are many advantages in being able to throw both off the tee(tight wooded courses come to mind). One day, I'll develop a forehand, anyone got one for sale?Most forehand players I have seen switch to a backhand when they encounter a nasty dog leg that favors the backhand shot. I think the backhand is just another shot that can help you in the long run like learning a thumber or a roller. Also, I think backhands get more spin which helps them hold their line and cut through the wind better. I'm getting older and a forehand can be easier to toss than a backhand so I'm working on one, I just don't know where it is going to go after release.
i started with forehand also but gave it up for a backhand which i have been throwing for 3 years now and can hit the 425' mark on a good day ,i find backhand easier and much more controllable but if a forehand works than theres no reason to change it ,i also have been trying to throw a forehand to have the shot when i need it but it only works with really overstable disc and i dont have much control .
I know a number of Pros who throw almost exclusively 2 finger. Conrad Damon throws a fair amount, Scott Stokley was a former record holder (not sure if record was 2 finger?) J Michael Berry, all fabulous players.

I throw mostly all 2 finger of drives and over 120 feet.

But, after many years, playing with many Pro's , a number of distance contests I am convinced that the backhand is truly the further shot and I'll tell you why.

Rotation. You need to get a disc moving, but ultimately what keeps it in the air, what makes it fly is rotation.

You can start a forehand and a backhand and the exact same velocity, but by the nature of the grip you can reach back and get more rotation on the backhand, thereby extending the flight.

Don't believe me? Ask Christian Sojstrom
Forehand is for Communist! Only true Americans throw backhand.
Mr. Bennett is quickly proving the point that the forehand drive is a very viable option. Check out his world's performance!
Throwing forehand gives me versatility. Sometimes I want my "S" throw to go anhyzer from left to right instead of anhyzer from right to left. I think the forehad throw is definately a throw one should have in their game. Some shots require a great forehead on some courses and if you don't have one, that local-birdie will evade some.

I also throw a forehead roller as well as a backhand roller and both serve me well. :D
Tuffi said:
Throwing forehand gives me versatility. Sometimes I want my "S" throw to go anhyzer from left to right instead of anhyzer from right to left. I think the forehad throw is definately a throw one should have in their game. Some shots require a great forehead on some courses and if you don't have one, that local-birdie will evade some.

I also throw a forehead roller as well as a backhand roller and both serve me well. :D
Look at it this way: I have seen a lot of people JUST FOREHAND and it is ridiculously sloppy. You will never be a great frolfer using just Forehand. There is even more people out there that only use Backhand... and I feel like you can live with that and you can still be a decent player that way.

I only sidearm when I am hanging out of shrubbery (when there is no backhand feasible). I can hyzer, anhyzer, and helix with a backhand and there is no way I will ever outdrive my backhand with a sidearm.

In all honesty... I hate the "flick." ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968