www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 2180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i used too. bmade some crazy 80 to 120 footers over the years, but switched to backhand because was sick of potential 2 's becoming 4's. still do it from time to time, normally only in doubles, when my partner is close enough or there is obstructions. was working on a finger only flick putt, no arm movment, still very inconsistant. not givin up yet.

can still put a roc on a hell of a lazer line from anywhere within about 170. if nothing else its a crowd pleaser, normally smashes the chains, hits the pole and spits out. most baskets can't absorb the energy and spin.....time for a shameless plug...... thats why i designed the "kingpin" from discking to be able to absorb exponetially greater energy and spin.
:)

couldn't resist.

on the actual topic, do whatever you feel more comfortable doing 1st and most often, but always work on what your not good at. the well rounded game is always gonna give you the competitive edge over your opponent! no one can argue against that. ive seen almost every pro throw forehands once in a while, even climo, the best player this game has ever seen.
Jonny said:
Any PUTT forehand? That would be interesting to see.
When I first started playing I always threw backhand, mainly because I had never seen anyone throw any other way. Once I finally tried throwing forehand, I could throw much further and stuck with it a long time. A lot of local pro's told me to start working on my backhand more. I now throw about 75% backhand, with some occasional flick shots.

The hardest part of making the switch is sacrificing distance. It took a lot of practice to get my backhands even close to the distance of forehands. I see a lot of really new players throwing arrant forehands when a very easy backhand would put them much closer. I think it's great to have a good forehand, but more important to have a consistent backhand shot.
With all those that have responded I think everything has been covered as far as fact and personal preference. I, myself...play backhand dominant, but like others have said....the more shots you have the better the score card is for it. I've seen my game improve before my eyes just adding this shot and practicing it in an open field. The tips given saying that you should learn to throw flat and straight I believe have helped me tons. Learn the disc for what it was intended and and tweak from there. I come from a baseball and football background so a lot of these shots have come pretty natural without too much effort. Bottom line...rollers, backhand, forehand, tommies, thumbers, etc...get them all if you're not disabled in some way. You're guaranteed to be a much better competitor!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968