www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 2180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Give up on the forehand now. There is no future in it.
I think the forehand shot has it's uses, and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. but my backhand is my bread and butter.
i throw forehand myself but im gona agree with Mr.Ellis on this one.
backhand allows more body into the throw which equals more distance
and often seems to be more accurate.conitue the backhand.i would myself
but my shoulder will not allow it.grip it and rip it bro !
I have never been able to throw with my forearm. I have thrown forehand however. In fact, today. Avery Jenkins throws forehand pretty regularly.
forearm, sidearm, forehand. I came from Ultimate, so it's all just a flick to me. (and i've always thown hammers, never heard of a tomahawk till i started golfin').
wow im real surprised to see mike ellis saying give up on forehand, i thought that was your main throwing style do to your bad knees, i as well throw forehand a good bit on drives since i cannot quite get as much distance out of my backhand shot as i do my forehand shot, but i do pretty much use both equally, as a right hander, if a left hook shot is needed then its a backhand throw if its a right hooking shot then its a forehand, i have found for me the forehand is way more reliable for me than trying to backhand a drive that i need to have turn right and get any distance out of it let alone accuracy or any consistency, now i will say this, i see players all the time that will throw forehand shots on just about every shot they throw be it on drives, approach shots and even putting, i don't think this is a wise practice but hey if it works far ya thats all that matters, me personally if i can get to it comfortably with a backhand shot then thats the throw i am going to use, cause it is way more predictable, but until i learn to throw right and left handed like my idle carl cubbage, the forehand shot will remain in my arsenal and lets face it, anyone who can throw a nice forehand shot can relate that there is nothing more satisfying than being out playing with a group of guys that throw predominately or exclusively backhand and teeing off on a right turning hole and ripping a nice forehand shot that makes the turn while everyone else's shots are out in left field or in the woods before the turn I LOVE THAT !!
There is a reason why none of the top players throw forehand, that being you can't do as much with it long term as you can with the back hand. The strength of the backhand is that the natural motion of the pull through, if done correctly, puts a lot of snap, i.e. spin, on the disc while keeping the disc on the correct line.

The forehand does not do this. First, the forehand naturally plays to arm speed and not snap, therefore, to get a good throw, you have to work hard to get adequate snap to compensate for the arm speed (this is the reason you see so many off axis torque throws with the forehand). Getting the combination right is definitely possible, but not nearly as easy. All of that said, there is no way to mimic the motion that buts the same kind of snap on the disc that you can get with the backhand.

For the sport of disc golf this isn't absolutely necessary. Most holes are way shorter than can be mastered with a forehand. But you do play from a disadvantage on longer open holes. More importantly, the forehand is hard on your arm. This can't be sliced or diced any other way. The forehand works your shoulder joint like you're pitching a baseball. That wear and tear is going to add up long term. The backhand, if managed correctly, is a lot easier on your arm long term.

One other thing to consider, as many left hand players will tell you, those rotten right hand players design most of the courses. In general, courses favor right hand back hand players. If you are a forehand player, you are playing against a course that favors right hand back hand players. That means in a given round you're giving up a lot of bird opportunities if you're shot plays away from the basket. That's a tough row to hoe, but that's the way it is.
I'd have to agree. while I love to see my fellow golfers grow and get better, there is a nice feeling from being able to throw that forehand shot that just hits perfect while others dont even try it and end up with bad lies. is that wrong to feel that way sometimes? haha.
absolutely not !!! if others don't want to walk toward the light thats their prerogative LOL
can you say Geoff Bennett?
I've seen some of the "top players" throw a mean sidearm.. not sure where you gathered that intel?
Both, if you can.....IMO, having the ability to throw a variety of shots can only lead to a more rounded game.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968