www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 2153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When starting out, everything was backhand.
Then the unthinkable happened.
Had knee surgery on my right (plant knee).
Had to learn sidearm.
Got proficient at the sidearm, outdistancing my backhand. (Was scared to relearn the backhand). Pain sucks!
Generally played the backhand safe for years.
Then finally realizing what I was doing wrong (had insight from Greg Hosfeld, and a few other pros) I have worked on my backhand again. Reaching 350' and better (sometimes).
It is all about form. See the x-step. and use your arm. Go to u-tube and look for the x-step.
I can still ripp now and then 400' with a flick (use a destroyer). It is not all about age, I am 47 years old. Get in shape and it is mental, as well as physical.

The best sidearm (in my opinion would be C.R. Willey).
Go to discraft.com. He is listed there.

I really do enjoy throwing backhand more now. Figuring it out, helps.
It is to your advantage to throw both.
Remember the follow through on the backhand. I tell people to imagine a 'fastball' pitcher's follow through. It helps.
(Back in the day, I was clocked at 93-98 mph at a baseball pitch).
Follow through is very important and spin or snap at the end.
Good luck!
I gave up on the forehand early on because I struggled to throw with consistent accuracy. It took a couple of years, but now I can get almost any flight path I need with a backhnad. Forehands are now for emergency use only. Most players I know that throw a lot of forehands deal with elbow or shoulder pain at some point.
My sidearm is a situational shot really. I feel much better about a 200-250 foot sidearm shot than a BH anhyzer the same distance. I don't trust those annys. Too much can go wrong. For those shots, I just grab my Z Tracker and stick it. The only drawback is that I can't get it much past 250. If I try it just turns and burns.
the forehand rocks, its just science; with the backhand muscles used... lats , tricep, and back. forehand muscles used... pectoral, bicep, forearm. come on now, once distance throwers of any sort start throwing things behind them then maybe i will look into it, but for now i will "flick" a bag of discs as far as my backhand brothers. Make Love At War
geoff bennet throws mostly forehand i think.
I started off with sidearm for all drives and still get more distance than with a backhand and will always stand by the idea that its a very valuable shot to have in the bag. Unless, of course, you're ambidextrous . Mastering both would be ideal...
i throw about 90% of my drives forehand and most of my midrange shots backhand. ive been throwing mostly forehand since i started and i can throw any which way i need. if im not confident driving around a dog leg with my back hand, i just use a less stable disc and snap a turnover right down the middle. i can also drive alot further forehand, its easier for my to grab something overstable like a force or a flick and get a HUGE S curve out of it for max distance on open holes and on tight fairways i just grab a less overstable disc like a crush or a flash and angle the disc less so that the S is confined and persice.

if i ever gave up on my forehand, i'd might as well quit the sport.
Any PUTT forehand? That would be interesting to see.
For me, I throw rhbh, but when I throw forehand, I'm 10X more comfortable with lhfh, so to me, I can try really hard to learn rhfh, or just work on my lhfh for what I need (which is mostly worm burners)
as everyone says both are important to have. then again 2008 world champion david feldberg didn't use the forehand. i throw both, i'm really starting to like forehand buzzz approaches, its one of the most trustworthy shots i have. lhbh has always been my dominant drive though and will probably stay that way since i just can't get that distance with lhfh. I don't know how some of you guys do to be honest, but i can still throw about 250' to 275' lhfh which is good enough for the times i need to use it.
Johnny,
Here is a great example of someone putting with a forehand -from the land of Motodom.com- Used effectively, so far, only in doubles (and rarely in singles).

Also, in regards to one's question about other resources for beating the forehand learning curve, I believe the Heave H.O.E. DVD has proven to be a tool worth mentioning for improving one's forehand that needs improvement.. But it is especially worthwhile for the new player. It gives straightforward "do's and don'ts" in seperate sections for the forehand, and although it is formulated to teach throwing an original Frisbee disc straight and far, it seems to readily transfer over to disc golfers' stable discs too. Just so you know, it also covers a backhand (that is only applicable to original Frisbees), and the mechanics behind skipping a disc with accuracy.. which can also be handy for the new disc golfer that doesn't have a skip shot on command!

Plus, if you ask for it with the Heave H.O.E. DVD, you can get a free Discraft XL. Otherwise you automatically get an original Frisbee. :-)

BTW, if you haven't already seen this tribute below to the forehand, you might get a kick out of a Martial-art-style-board-break, using an original Frisbee! Again from the halls of Motodom.com.Kudos to the guy holding the board!

Find more videos like this on discgolfersR.us (Forehand) H.O.E. 2 U All !
I am a dominant forehand player and have been since I started. I have tried to throw backhand and at one point threw just backhands for about 3 months, under the guidance of a local "pro". I never could get real distance nor could I achieve great accurracy. I took a tip from Mark Ellis and it changed my game. He told me to throw everything flat and learn how the disc was made to fly, then to tinker with flight patterns only after I learned the discs. Well after about 20 throwing sessions I know what he means.

I used to throw overstable stuff with the wing up with the intention of throwing what I now call a "fake S curve". One day i realized that the discs werent coming back to the right like they used to. Upon more evaluating and some terrible rounds, I learned that I was just putting too much snap/spin on the disc, something I never thought possible. After some throwing sessions with Marks tip in mind I learned how the discs are supposed to fly and how to make them do what they do.

I must say that I am on my way. I am now throwing sidearm about 330 on average and adding D everyday. The one thing that I can add to the backhand/sidearm debate is this, I love the fact that I never have to look away from the target. I feel as if I have a built in advantage especially in tighter/woodsier courses.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968