www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw much farther and accurately with a flick, than backhand. My backhand is decent, I just prefer to drive forearm. I've been told however, that I will never realize my full potential as a disc golfer, because a flick will never be as good as a backhand. (though the people who said this agree that it is best to be able to do both). Supporting evidence given was that the world record backhand is farther then the world record forearm throw, and that absolutely no touring pro's throw predominantly forehand.

So, anyone know any pro's who throw mostly sidearm? Anyone want to back the forearm side?

Tags: flick, forearm, forehand, sidearm

Views: 2213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a disc golfer lands in a (bush, tree, that sort of thing) and needs to throw a backhand to get out of it,
and assuming that you're going to need a backhand shot that goes at least 250 feet or maybe even
300, you'll need to have a backhand shot.

Forehands are awesome, but so is flexibility. FOREHANDS rock!! :)
I would have to agree with the first part about using mostly backhand. That's how I learned to throw and stayed away from sidearm for quite a while. However, I'm sure glad I've learned how to throw sidearm shots also, it adds a whole new element to your game. Your body is the tool, so doing anything you can to make it more versatile pays dividends.
I seem more comfortable with forehand shots. I use them about 75% of the time. I use backhand when I need to burn 450+ feet, or need to drop left through a tunnel. My upshots are always flicks, and my putts always backhand.
Use both!!!! The forehand is great for precision shots but, like the saying goes, once you really learn and develop the backhand you will never beat it for most shots.
i just really started to develop my backhand. THEN i used forehand drives 98% of the time, NOW i use backhand drives 98% of the time! i like being very versitile now.
I've been a forehander for my entire disc golf career. In fact, learned it from Mark Ellis when I started playing because backhand felt so awkward to me. Probably from my years of playing racquetball, tennis and softball. However, now that I've won a couple of Worlds titles, I feel it's high time to learn a confident backhand. I've been practicing and it improves each time. Still feels strange, but my goal by next spring is to feel confident when I stand on the tee to say to myself, "Hmmm, forehand, backhand or roller" (which I also do pretty well).
BH except fh on a few trick shots
Hell yeah I'll back forhand!... But I have to say if you haven't developed the muscles (side arm baseball, skipping rocks, etc...) don't spend a lot of time on it. Distance drives for the majority are achieved backhand. I can confidently say that I am the few anomalies that can get a consistent 350+ drive. I just watched a few videos on how to drive forehand and they drive quite differently than I do. No that my friend has a camera look for some videos from me soon. :-)
Use as many different shots as you need to succeed, go with backhands to get more D.
I NOTICED CUBBY HAS ALOT OF VIDIOTAPED SHOTS .
IN GOLF AFTER YOU TAKE ONE SHOT OFF OF A TEE.
YOU MOVE TO THE NEXT HOLE OR YOU TAKE PENALTY STROKES
EVERY SHOT AFTER THE FIRST ONE IS NOT A HOLE IN ONE
IT IS A HOLE IN HOWEVER MANY SHOTS YOU TOOK FROM THAT TEE
MY 300+ HOLE IN ONES ON BASKETS WERE PLAYED FROM TEE TOO TEE WITH WITNESSES AND SCORECARDS. LOVE THE SHOTS THERE COOL BUT THERE NOT LEGITIMATE HOLE IN ONES.
PS THE MORE SHOTS YOU HAVE THE BETTER PHILLY
i drive backhand, but have developed a pretty mean sidearm approach and putt due to lots of doubles rounds with friends. i'm usually good for at least one 40' or more per 18 holes with a sidearm in doubles. i wouldn't dare try that shot in singles play!
you just about said it all , Ive gotta say I think back hand is the only way, even thow I would obviously love to be able to accuratly and consistantly crush a sidearm, I just can't see sidearm being flat out better then the fore hand, not for overall judging.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968