www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'd like to see a 5-7,000' ft hole, with one tee, one basket, as an entire tournament, for a special event. It could stretch across a huge park, bringing all sorts of land and water and roads into play. There could be mandos to keep people in check every 500' or so. This would be awesome if it worked.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could even do it on an established course, Ben. Imagine having to play each hole of Hudson Mills Original, with a Mando tunnel the width of the green or fairway forcing you to throw up the paths between pins and the next tee.
a 1 mile hole.... that would be rather interesting...the gorilla of all gorilla holes.
That would be one hell of an event, especially the Hudson Mills Original Idea. If you ever do it give me a couple months notice so I can take leave from the Airforce to play it. Thank you very much by the way for putting up this site. It is my new off the course out of the practice field, obsession.
I'd run it and plan it if there was enough serious interest, it could be done. I imagine sending people out every 10-15 minutes, having enough mandos to keep people in check, but not force shots. Spotters to track people and discs. Would have to be somewhere that it could work, with woods, rivers/lakes, fields, etc
This could work on my home course. We're going to try it. We have just the right disc nuts ...that would do this.
not without me!
We have done something similar in Lizard games, making up a hole over a mile in length. We have had holes where the winning score was 25 (or whatever).

It is hard to keep track of scores on ultra-long holes. We are used to small numbers and certainly single digits. It is easier to keep track of the score differential between two players or best shot teams than the actual numbers. For a tournament field you need the actual numbers. You would almost need walk along scorekeepers.

In the off-season, the huge parking lot for the disc golf course, beach and picnic areas at Kensington (Michigan) is empty. We play from the practice basket, around the parking lot ( as a mando, you cannot cut any corners) back to the practice basket. We once set the par for this hole at 18. It is very tough, sometimes, to make the call whether a disc cuts a corner or not. We just make the rule that if it isn't clear then you have to re-throw it (no penalty). In a tournament setting it would take an army of spotters to make calls on the mandos.

BTW, a hole which starts at a basket, goes around a series of mandos back to the basket we call a "Darren" hole; named after Darren Harper, who invented the first Darren hole at Kensington's practice area.

One way to play an ultra long hole is to play down a paved road in a park. We have done this after big snowfalls when we arrive and the parking lot is closed because it hasn't been plowed yet and the only area that is plowed is the road. We have done it in warmer weather when the traffic on the road is very light. The interesting thing about playing the road as the fairway is how difficult it is to keep your drive in the road. Roads are huge and wide. They look easy. They are not. If your drive lands on the pavement it skips like crazy and often hyzers into the deep, inpenetrable shoulder area. So the challenge is to get maximum distance while keeping your drive in the road.

Another challenge to Ben's one hole tournament is find the right location for it. You need a lot of space. You can't really do it in an unmowed, untamed area. Lost discs, brambles and swamps would make the process unduly slow and painful. You can't use most roads unless you can close them down (we often can't get parks to close disc golf courses for tournaments). You can't throw too close to buildings. You would need a huge park and would want to exclude walkers, picnicers, etc.
Ok, in the name of R & D, me and a buddy are going to try this on our course today. I think it will be best to record the score as you go...say after each hole's fairway is completed...and the mando has been made. Be back later to post the results and quirks.
For scoring purposes, maybe each competitor has to walk the course twice -- once to shoot his own "round" and one more time to act as "official scorer" for another competitor.

(The "scorer" could also be carrying the beer. A novelty "tournament" like this would almost make beer a prerequisite.)
scorer carries the cooler. Nice!!! I love it when a plan comes togather.
Can't wait to see how it goes. Could work at Hudson Mills: Tee off at park entrance, roads, paths, water is OB on/in, not over. Play to basket #12 Original..
"Islands" to narrow the fairways.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968