www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'd like to see a 5-7,000' ft hole, with one tee, one basket, as an entire tournament, for a special event. It could stretch across a huge park, bringing all sorts of land and water and roads into play. There could be mandos to keep people in check every 500' or so. This would be awesome if it worked.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok!!! What a challenge....may not be for everyone.
Score should be recorded once the mando or obstacle has been completed.

approx length of hole 8500'
With a hole this big, you could set it up so that there might be multiple ways to make it from Point A to Point B. I'd like to see it set up so the shooter could choose to go left or right at a particular spot, with each direction offering a different set of obstacles and mando routes.

The trick would be to figure out which direction might be the most efficient for your game on that day.
how'd it go! more details
exactly how it has to go..and thered have to be a spotter for each player to keep honesty and track of discs/score/location in reference to basket
could have map showing terrain and a compass, it's be so sick!
The scoring seem to be the biggest issue. The smaller the group the easier to score...so for a foursome I'd reccommend a seperate scorekeeper. The biggest question was where to score. we scored after the mando was completely negotiated....no longer in the picture.

We set the mando for each turn 2 to 3 holes ahead. Doing an event like this would require some time to go out and clearly mark each turn before hand. Missed mandos should goto a marked drop zone at the mando with a 1 stroke penalty...unwinding would be to much, I think.

Time wise, it took about as much time as to play 18 regular holes...maybe slightly longer 15 minutes or so. Ironically we didn't miss any mandos, but had to look for a disc or two. Since we were not playing to finish a hole with a completed shot into a basket...advantages were in distance...trying to get the biggest lead from the mando for the next shot, sorta like a race. Strategy with position was the key for this. We also played OB, if you landed in water or on pavement, not over.

I ended up with a 56, Big Jim 58. most fairways and mandos were made in 2 to 3 shots. The funniest thing was watching Jim come up short on a mando tree...he tired to reach out and throw a forehand roller to get around the tree... the disc smacked the tree then smacked him in the head, knocking his sunglasses off. ...way to funny.
What I was thinking....was to not only record score, but time as well. lowest score with fastest time wins. That way you could send 1...no more then 2 at a time with a scorer/timekeeper for each player. doing it that way would take all day with a fairly large group....but if the beer was cold...no problem.
Why not make it at 7000' of altitude? Some of the courses west of here (Denver) are 7k' and more.

You could do this on an existing course with the baskets being the mandos... seems like a lot of the courses that I've played over the years are over a mile long - 5280'.

BTW - count me in on that tourney - if it has some varied terrain it could be an awesome equalizer of a (would you still call it a?) round!!!
I used to play that course walking to and from work. I'd usually shoot in the mid 20s. I could never get permission to run that hole as a tournament, but once or twice I've played it with friends. Basically it is from the loading dock of the Courthouse west wing to the last tree in the cut grass along Telegraph.
Here is the post from 2005. There is an older thread but I cannot find it.

http://discontinuum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&...
ROFL! That reminds me of the time me and a friend threw our Frisbees all the way around Lake Merritt in Oakland (CA). Took a few hours, our "scores" were 200+, but we didn't lose any plastic!

Must have been around 1973 or so. (Dang, I'm older than dirt!)
Which basket would you choose?
We played from hole 1 A to basket 18....following the course direction. ...To the the long placement of a hole or nearest obstacle to act as a mando through to the 'A pad' of the next fairway, ...at least 20 mandos. Big Jim 58 myself 56...back and forth battle the whole way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968