www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Trying to bring disc golf to my local area (which is a tiny island in the British channel called Alderney) where most people have never heard of disc golf. There is an upcoming event where they have told me I can have a game with disc golf, with only 1-2 baskets (that's all they'll pay for) they'd like it to be a family type event. If this goes well will help get public response to get a course here

Tags: disc, event, expanding, family, golf

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Pipper,

Next Saturday, I'll make a disc golf challenge for 12 to 14 years old people.
It takes place in a public parc and it is a part of a multisport challenge (20 different sports)
I'll organise a 2 baskets (my own) course (short distance) and people will have putters only.

Easy and funny .

Have nice flights

Jean
What type of game are you using the 2 baskets for? What's the objective. Need details please :)
Put the baskets 25'-30' apart and play a putting game. Play and score exactly as you do horseshoes.
ah yeah that makes sense, actually that's what my dad already told me doh! :)
Dependent on space, I wouldn't start with the idea of horseshoes. Putting is the least interesting of golf shots to watch or play. The most fun and interesting is blasting long drives. To engender the most interest I would give people the chance to see what a real hole looks and plays like.

I would try to design one hole going out and the second coming back (a two hole loop) with as much of the holes visible from the start as possible. Spectators watching others throw should be lured into trying it themselves.

If space doesn't permit the two hole loop but does allow for one hole then I would use one basket as a practice putting basket and make a "Darren hole" out of the other basket. A Darren hole tees off from close to a basket, goes out to a mando and plays back to the same basket. So you could place a basket in a visible location, put a bright ribbon around a tree and have players wrap the tree then come back to the basket. You could use different colored ribbons on trees of varying distance away from the basket to make holes of different difficulty. If you use a Darren hole concept you should only let one group play at a time for safety reasons.

The fact that you are only using putters doesn't matter. Beginners of that age probably don't know that drivers exist and won't throw them much better than putters (and maybe worse).

Your encouragement, ability to teach and sell the game is probably more important than the quality of the design of your mini course. Try to make sure the set up is safe for players and spectators.
Hi Pipper,

As it will take place in a nice and wooded/open space, I'll organise the 2 holes like this :
Fisrt basket around 50 m from start, second hole starting close to the fisrt basket and comming back to the start area with a mando .

Have nice flights !

Jean.
Try www.minidiscgolf.com. The beauty of this smaller target and game is that you do not need the large spaces that are required for big Disc Golf. The smaller discs and targets are great for persons of all ages and fit well into the public recreation setting. Also, check out my Discgolfersrus page for losts of mini disc golf pictures and info. Hope to see you there. Donnie Brooks MDGF#.00001 PDA#15252 Mini Disc Golf Federation
You're like a disc golf Yoda, want to come to Alderney in like 69 days? The game will take place in a very open area with no trees, not too sure about the amount of participation we'll get perhaps we could have 2 events, one horse shoe style one with your suggestions. I'm also trying to get someone from the british disc golf ass. to come over as I'm a bit of a novice and not the best person to demonstrate. My dad still makes me us a putter
:)
A disc golf Yoda? You are too kind. A disc golf Jabba the Hutt is more like it.

My current travel schedule doesn't include Alderney. Maybe we can get the Discraft helicopter to make a special trip.

You may be a novice but you will know more about the sport than the newbies you will be teaching. You don't have to be an expert to teach someone what you have learned. If they can figure out a better way to make a disc fly than you know then all the better. The truth is there is no one perfect way to play the game. Let them try your way then let them experiment. Be helpful. Be enthusiastic. Have fun. Don't worry about the rest.

Your last comment intrigued me. Your Dad still makes you use a putter? Your bio says you are 24 years old. Now your photo makes you look younger. But, not to contradict your Dad but maybe you should really be bold and one of these days try a midrange disc. (Don't tell Dad I said so.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968