www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was searching on eBay for discs when I came across a bunch of them being sold about 10 minutes from my apartment. While looking at the auctions I noticed that two discs that were being sold look exactly like once I lost last year and this year in the pond at my home course of Mt. Pleasant, MI. I put my name and my phone number on the discs so I wrote the seller asking him if there was one. He replied with "Yes there is a name and number on both. Shawn Welling is the name." When I told him that those were my discs and I would pay him to end the auction plus some for his trouble of diving in the pond to find all of these discs he replied with "I would rather not end my auctions sorry." Should I be mad that he is selling my discs? He did go down in the pond to get them but I did have my name and number on them. I know I can always buy more but one of them has personal value along with it.

What is the legal dealings with that anyway? I am not going to take any action because well, it's a couple discs, but just pure curiosity because it is on CMU's campus which I believe would be state property, plus they were mine to begin with.

Anyway, what does everyone think. Is it ok to not contact the owner of a disc and sell it or should you always contact them?

Tags: auction, eBay, sell, sold

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tarazarr said:
If I find a marked disc I return it. If I find an unmarked disc, I keep it (unless the course has a pro shop with a lost and found).

You left your disc behind. If this guy dives for disc to sell them, then that's how he makes money, he's not out there diving to be a good samaritan so no foul. You had the opprotunity to dive for your own disc and you didn't...you had the opprotunity to re-buy your disc...you didn't..obviously they were not that important to you

I don't think you have any reason to be mad at anyone but yourself for failing to take the 2 opportuities you had to get your disc back.

So if you miss place your wallet and someone finds it. They should not make an effert to get it back to you because if you wanted it, you would not have left it somewhere that someone else could find it. It the same thing, but you would be the loser. Someone can spend your money and sell you credit cards. Thevery is not right, and just because you found someone else's disc does not mean that it is yours.
I think if you find a disc with a name on it , please try to return it to the owner. Some put their PDGA # only and it's harder to track them down , even though possible. I no longer put my phone number on my disc ,as I have received to many crank calls. It's always Good Karma to return disc's to the owner.
Chain Gang;

Who did that...?

Ken Climo?
Gary Burdick said:
Tarazarr said:
If I find a marked disc I return it. If I find an unmarked disc, I keep it (unless the course has a pro shop with a lost and found).

You left your disc behind. If this guy dives for disc to sell them, then that's how he makes money, he's not out there diving to be a good samaritan so no foul. You had the opprotunity to dive for your own disc and you didn't...you had the opprotunity to re-buy your disc...you didn't..obviously they were not that important to you

I don't think you have any reason to be mad at anyone but yourself for failing to take the 2 opportuities you had to get your disc back.

So if you miss place your wallet and someone finds it. They should not make an effert to get it back to you because if you wanted it, you would not have left it somewhere that someone else could find it. It the same thing, but you would be the loser. Someone can spend your money and sell you credit cards. Thevery is not right, and just because you found someone else's disc does not mean that it is yours.

Gary,
If I found a wallet with identification...I'd return it it, just like I do with a disc...so I don't understand your comment...I don't mind explaining my viewpoint, but we have to keep the discusion to comparing apples to apples, not confuse it by comparing apples to oranges

I was just stating my opinion on the subject. which is this, when you walk away from your disc in the water, you have abandoned it, in essence you have said, "that disc is not worth me getting wet to retreive, it's gone, goodbye"

Now if the disc comes back to you, you are very fortunate and the person returning it will probably get some good karma from the deal. That's what I do, it's what I practice and I believe I've had disc come back to me because of it.

But if it doesn't come back to you...no foul, you left it there in the water. It's unfortunate, it sucks for sure to lose a disc, but you chose to walk away from it. You can't "expect" others to do for you, what you were unwilling to do for yourself.

Now there's a difference in stumbling upon a lost disc in the woods, that's why we have our names on them...or a course that does not allow golfers to dive for disc for insurance and safety reasons, but has a designated diver dive or drag their ponds, then yes all marked disc should be returned, as they are at my home course.
I think of this just like any other salvage operation.

Golf courses drag their ponds to sell water balls.
Salvage companies raise boats, ships and planes out of the oceans and lakes to sell as salvage.
Treasure hunters search the world on land and sea to find treasures.

this guy dives ponds and lakes for disc and probably golf balls to earn money, it his treasure. It's business for him, not personal against us.

when it's personal - DG'er to DG'er, it usually gets returned

when it's business - it usually doesn't, unless your willing to rebuy it.

If a disc is treasured....don't walk away from it and leave it behind for a treasure hunter to possibly find and profit from. If you do, don't get mad if someone else values them enough to "dive in the goose poop water" for them.
You know ... it's nice when someone takes the time to get discs out of the water. What they do with them is their choice. If they give it back to you for free ... great. There are still some people who are really nice in the world. However, it's not as nice a world as it once was ... and it seems everyone is out to make a buck now. Guess that's just the way it is eh?

Be happy when you get a disc back ... if you don't, well, that's the way it goes. Personally, I don't throw any discs over water that I'm not prepared to loose.

Last weekend at CO States, there were several daunting water hazards. A LOT of discs were fished and returned to their owners with no fee. Someone was fishing discs out of a drainage ditch that was pretty big using a wetsuit ... this guy was selling discs back to their owners for a fee. I heard a little grumbling ... but nobody was very upset about getting some of their best discs back. Winds were 40+ for a whole round ... many discs were lost. I threw two in water and was lucky to get them back with a golden retriever. Finished the weekend without loosing a single disc and that was nice. However, if I had lost a disc I just had to have back, I would have gladly paid the diver for getting them.
John; I wish I had a doggie to get discs for me

That'd be sweet!
Tarazarr said:
Gary Burdick said:
Was not referring to you. But to those who think it is ok to get another disc golfers disc and use it as their own. That is all. My reference to a wallet was jut an example. I too would and do return discs, but there are more out there that would keep them, along with your wallet. Take care. GB #554
Tarazarr said:

Gary,
If I found a wallet with identification...I'd return it it, just like I do with a disc...so I don't understand your comment...I don't mind explaining my viewpoint, but we have to keep the discusion to comparing apples to apples, not confuse it by comparing apples to oranges

I was just stating my opinion on the subject. which is this, when you walk away from your disc in the water, you have abandoned it, in essence you have said, "that disc is not worth me getting wet to retreive, it's gone, goodbye"

Now if the disc comes back to you, you are very fortunate and the person returning it will probably get some good karma from the deal. That's what I do, it's what I practice and I believe I've had disc come back to me because of it.

But if it doesn't come back to you...no foul, you left it there in the water. It's unfortunate, it sucks for sure to lose a disc, but you chose to walk away from it. You can't "expect" others to do for you, what you were unwilling to do for yourself.

Now there's a difference in stumbling upon a lost disc in the woods, that's why we have our names on them...or a course that does not allow golfers to dive for disc for insurance and safety reasons, but has a designated diver dive or drag their ponds, then yes all marked disc should be returned, as they are at my home course.
If the guy would have called you and offered to sell you your discs back, how would you respond? I don't agree with what the guy is doing but it happens all the time. I have friends that write "reward if returned", if you are willing to pay for what is all ready yours maybe try it. If you can let it go, pretend they are still lost. You will live a less frustrated life.
I had seen this girl with my disc. She had wrote her name on top of mine. I told her I lost it a couple of weeks ago and she said her boyfriend had given it to her as a gift. I said to her " that disc will turn over when you throw it " !!!!! She asked me how I could possibly know that and I once again said it was my disc. Sure enough when she threw it , it turned over. I let her keep it !!!!!
well, personally, If someone wanted to sell me a disc, i'd go and knock out their teeth and take it from them for free

idiots don't need to sell me my own things

its like ransom

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968