www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was searching on eBay for discs when I came across a bunch of them being sold about 10 minutes from my apartment. While looking at the auctions I noticed that two discs that were being sold look exactly like once I lost last year and this year in the pond at my home course of Mt. Pleasant, MI. I put my name and my phone number on the discs so I wrote the seller asking him if there was one. He replied with "Yes there is a name and number on both. Shawn Welling is the name." When I told him that those were my discs and I would pay him to end the auction plus some for his trouble of diving in the pond to find all of these discs he replied with "I would rather not end my auctions sorry." Should I be mad that he is selling my discs? He did go down in the pond to get them but I did have my name and number on them. I know I can always buy more but one of them has personal value along with it.

What is the legal dealings with that anyway? I am not going to take any action because well, it's a couple discs, but just pure curiosity because it is on CMU's campus which I believe would be state property, plus they were mine to begin with.

Anyway, what does everyone think. Is it ok to not contact the owner of a disc and sell it or should you always contact them?

Tags: auction, eBay, sell, sold

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So shawn the auction must have ended by now, did you buy them back? Leave the guy negative feedback? Don't get mad get even!
Well in Denmark, it is illegal to keep stuff you find, I know a lot of people do it anyway, myself included. I mean if I find a disc with no name or number I would tjeck with the club if anyone is missing a disc and if not, I would use it as my own. But legally it should be turned in to lost and found at the police station. So you are in your right to demand them back. at least if you are in denmark. Otherwise if he sells them or tries to sell them and you report it he could be charged as a handler of stolen goods.
I decided to not try and win the auction. I sent in a complaint to ebay, but when I found out all the legal issues I had to do I just decided to let him have his money if it was that important to him, and I would take the high ground. about a week ago I did get a disc returned to me which gave me better hope for others. I guess I should take the same advice I give my friend whenever she throws one of my discs into the pond. "discs are made to be lost, that's why they make more then one."

Side question: why don't people put their names on discs? I found one the other day in the pond. It was a pretty nice one but no name. It seems ridiculous not to, especially when 5 separate holes have water along the left side.
Legally its your property but depending on where you are its always handled differenty. Down here in Clearwater Florida we have a ton of water and the normal cost for a disc return is two dollars unless its C.E. then its 5 bucks for the return. Its a tradition here to pay a "Squid" when he swims for your disc, it also helps to stay on good terms with the Squids.

Sure it sucks to lose a disc like that, but then again you did toss it in the water and walk off.
to let people know I did swim for it, and offered to pay the guy who swam for it.
The dude sounds like a gonad
ha, ya. he is selling more now too.
We have a Army of alligators, snakes, leeches and bacteria to conteract most of the swimming. We still get a few greedy punks though that will go in and basicly steal disc and sell them or keep em. Its hard to stop it. Other then the few outsiders that decide to go swimming, the system here in Clearwater works. Its rare I dont get my disc returned for my 2 dollar Squid fee. Maybe if you guys had a simular system in place it would help?
shawn post his ebay user name!
bunkadunk

I am not condoning any rude behavior and if you want any cheap used discs, possibly ones with Shawn Welling written on the back, feel free.
I know how ya feel. I was playing just this past week with a few guys, when one put his disc in a pond off his drive. He went in the pond to get it, and was fully intending to find it on his own. A guy in his mid 20s jumped in, and said he'd help, when he had already told him we would find it on our own. The dude was going as fast as he could around the pond trying to find it. He found it first, and then told my buddy that he could have the disc back for $2. His name AND number were on the back. My buddy was just starting out, and could care less what disc he threw. We didn't want to give the butt hole the time of day and we didn't feel like punching his lights out either. WE proceeded to tell the butt hole what proper etiquette was, and he still wouldn't give it back. We just gave out buddy one of our discs that we don't throw anymore, and kept playing. Really made me unhappy, and that is a rather normal occurance at my home course. I'm ashamed to call it my home course and will be driving a little farther to find somewhere with fewer stupid people to call home.
Yes, you have every right to be mad! I've lost 3 discs at my local park, and I know for a FACT that every single one was recovered.

And I have not yet gotten a single phone call, it's been months. I returned a disc that I found in the creek because I am a good person. The guy even asked if I wanted money and I said no. So the person who found my discs should return them.

But, some people are jerks and refuse to be kind.

Shawn, the only thing you can really do is return any discs you find and just hope that you've planted a seed of kindness in the person so that they will return all discs. That jerk should not even need money to return a disc, he should do it out of kindness.

Best of luck for experience.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968