www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was searching on eBay for discs when I came across a bunch of them being sold about 10 minutes from my apartment. While looking at the auctions I noticed that two discs that were being sold look exactly like once I lost last year and this year in the pond at my home course of Mt. Pleasant, MI. I put my name and my phone number on the discs so I wrote the seller asking him if there was one. He replied with "Yes there is a name and number on both. Shawn Welling is the name." When I told him that those were my discs and I would pay him to end the auction plus some for his trouble of diving in the pond to find all of these discs he replied with "I would rather not end my auctions sorry." Should I be mad that he is selling my discs? He did go down in the pond to get them but I did have my name and number on them. I know I can always buy more but one of them has personal value along with it.

What is the legal dealings with that anyway? I am not going to take any action because well, it's a couple discs, but just pure curiosity because it is on CMU's campus which I believe would be state property, plus they were mine to begin with.

Anyway, what does everyone think. Is it ok to not contact the owner of a disc and sell it or should you always contact them?

Tags: auction, eBay, sell, sold

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That guy is a douche!!
I have a pond (looks more like a swamp) at my house. I wouldn't even put my toe in that water! lol Hell, I bet "Swamp Thing" lives in there with the local muskrat family. No pond/lake diving for me. My advice to those who do; don't go pond diving when people are trying to play THAT hole. It's very distracting and I wouldn't wanna hit someone with my disc (unless they asked for it).

Last week I had a tee shot that landed in a small river. There was a lil kid playing in the water nearby and he saved my disc from certain death. He got it and set it on dry land for me and then went back playing. What a cool lil dude.
He should have returned them or at the very least let you buy them from him....
He made the effort to go into the water, you did not. Basically you abandoned your disc because you deemed the effort needed to retrieve your disc greater than the value of the disc. Yeah it would've been nice had he returned the disc to you but he didn't. He didn't steal it. Once he recovered your abandoned disc it became his disc to do as he pleased.
I did attempt to go in the water multiple times to go find it and didn't "abandon" it. legally it still is stealing, but it's so far past now, I just going to be the bigger man. The worst part was not that he went and got it, but had no sense to calling or even selling it back to me. He just wanted to biggest profit possible.
Roadkill said:
He made the effort to go into the water, you did not. Basically you abandoned your disc because you deemed the effort needed to retrieve your disc greater than the value of the disc. Yeah it would've been nice had he returned the disc to you but he didn't. He didn't steal it. Once he recovered your abandoned disc it became his disc to do as he pleased.
should've punched that guy in the face shawn
Idk tim, kids at our place get a fair amount

pull out like 10 a day, sell most of them for 3-4 each

they use a couple of discs for themselves..
I'm not saying the guy was morally right. But he legally did not steal your disc. You gave up on getting your disc back when you left the course. He did not trespass on your personal property and take your disc from your back porch or off your lawn. When you left the park you left your disc on public property (assuming it was a public course). Once you did that all bets were off. If someone picks up a disc while you're still on the hole that would be stealing. But you had your chance to wade in and try to get your disc. You were unsuccessful in retrieving it and left it for dead. Yeah he should've called you but he didn't steal.
If you really wanted your disc back you should have bid on the auction and bought it (won the auction) back. If you didn't even bother to bid on it, the disc had little value to you. Be mad if you choose to but you surely won't get much sympathy from me. The guy was a jerk not a criminal, there is a difference.
Where i'm from, this known as 'Theft by finding' and definately against the law as he needs to hand them to the police or make reasonable efforts to find an owner.
Having said that, i think that 2 discs are not worth it and would simply buy the discs and leave very negative feedback, explaning what happened.
I was told that it is your property for 30 days and after that it is abandoned. I guess lawyers are good for something... jk Mark
I strongly believe in my philosophy on finding discs. In my mind there are two groups of disc golfers: those who write their name and numbers on their discs and those who don't (I write my name but no number which puts me in the second group). If you write your name and number on your discs and you find a disc with someone's name and number you BETTER call that number and keep the disc available for that person for a reasonable amount of time. If you don't write your number on discs you are in the group of disc golfers who do not have to, and should not call the number on the back of a disc you find. Its kind of like an insurance policy, you share your lost discs with everyone else and you have the right to find discs and cross off the names. I find about the same amount as I lose and I give all the innovas i find to someone else. I hate when people in the first group don't call numbers, but I don't feel the least bit bad when I or someone else in the free-for-all group crosses some ink out. Anybody else go by this philosophy?
I go by this rule

I call people, I hope they call me

I'll buy a disc that has been found, but only if its nameless

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968