www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was practicing putting yesterday. By happenstance I had three apparently perfect putts spit out or bounce out in a row. So while picking up my putters out of the dirt I took a close look at the basket. This one happened to be a Mach III. I wondered if anything could be done to make it catch better. Especially if something could be done easily, quickly and at least semi-permanently.

Has anyone experimented with anything? I know at one time the single chain Discatchers were retrofitted with another set of chains. How well does this work and has anyone tried anything else?

I know that plastic tie-down straps exist. I don't know what they are called but they have ratcheted teeth that allow them to be tightened but not released. If these were used to connect the inner-most rings of the chain assembly the straps could create another layer to minimize bounce out and blow throughs. Has this been tried?

Has anyone tried a soft casing around the post?

It isn't my desire to make a basket that more effectively catches marginal putts. Rather, a basket that catches solid putts to the center of the chains.

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just need to go back to the cone baskets!

Anyway not much you can do to narrow the death gaps on a Mach but the two best baskets I have putted on (Spiderweb and Titan) both have two different types of chains with the heavier set used for the inner chains.

There are already some good baskets out there we just need to start employing the designs which actually catch and IMO the manufacturers should look into some new designs for their existing targets which may be less than perfect.

I wonder how much money I have seen lost off of bounce-outs and cutthroughs?
It has been a while since I have looked at a non-modified Mach III basket. The Mach III baskets around here have inner and outer chains that extend to the bottom of the basket and are held using an inner ring and a larger outer ring (both rest on the basket bottom). Some of the best baskets I have ever putted on. I'll try to find a picture or if someone wants to post a picture of a Mach III basket from Huntsville (UAH might be good) go ahead. Not an easy fix, though from what I can remember.
The question being.....is it approved. But a dense foam sleeve around the pole would work to lessen the chance of a direct bounce out, imo. It would have to be good quality 'high tech' to hold up in the elements, UV resistent, etc.

Determining that perfect thickness would need further research. I would start with 1/4 inch and go from there. It would also seem like it should slow the chains down from 'Snaping' back off the pole. All that would change the sound we love to hear, though.

I'm sure someone has tried it...there also might be a reason why it's not more commonly practiced. In theory, it sounds good.
Mark,

I have put pre-made pipe insulation foam (1/4 inch I think) around the entire length of the pole. I did this to decrease the noise of my Innova discatcher sport (one of the louder baskets).....it did reduce the noise significantly. I am sure my neighbors appreciate that.

I haven't seen any really changes to the way it catches though......perhaps the chains swing a little less freely, given the central ring which all the chains connect to doesn't move as much. perhaps it is holding in more of those centered putts, than would be the case without the foam.

bought the foam at Lowe's (approx 2-3$) but I had to cut them together and duct taped it tight to allow for the most freedom of movement. I think ideally the foam would be thinner( therefore acting more like the basket without the foam), originally I just used bubble wrap but eventually those bubble cells breakdown.
Mark-

Zip-ties is the "plastic tie-down strap" you are referring to.

Next to duct tape, I'd throw these in the number 2 slot on the list of "Man's best friend"
Mark, when we first put in the BRATS Course I painted the baskets most visible from the dirt road we live on barn red, using regular barn paint and a brush - to make them slightly less noticeable from the road. It worked.

Interestingly, it also (a) reduced the sound of the chains when a putt goes in and (b) eliminated spit-outs from straight-in putts. I think the paint provides just enough friction to slow the disc faster and help the chains grab, even though the paint is not on very thick at all.
was it really a solid putt if it didn't stick? Some basket types are tricky. Some don't catch higher putts well. Some just catch everything it seems. Could just have been a little to much mustard on those putts. I think a variety of types of baskets is fine. Considering all the improvements that have been made in recent years to the quality, durability, and overall speed of drivers and midranges. imperfect baskets is an equalizer to the precision drivers that are now produced. But that's just my take.
I have heard Chuck Kennedy say that DGA tried putting the foam sleeves on the baskets to reduce bounceouts but it actually made it worse so they junked the idea.
Um maybe we should try to advance basket design as well. Heck we have basically just added sliding links and inner chains so far.
Definitely what Matt said in the first post. Baskets need lighter chains on the outside to allow for greater penetration before re-bound. This would allow for more shots to be caught.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968