www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have my first big tournament coming up called the Hotlanta Open, and it will live up to its name. Its a two day, 4 round tournament scheduled in the middle of August. Here in Atlanta today it reached 96 with humidity always in the 90% range if not 100%. I am from Cleveland Ohio and even though I have lived here for about 6 years I am by no way use to it. How do you deal with the heat and not let it affect your game? I know to take water, but are there any ideas on how to keep it cold? and how to take enough without giving yourself something heavy to carry extra? What can i do to keep it cool? LOL

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a great one:
If you don't live too far away from the course, get back home and take a fast shower, between rounds.
It is the best.
ROFL........I've been trying to buy the little house that is right next to my home course, for years now.
What I do with water is freeze two bottles and fill another one up full of ice and water. The ice and water bottle will be my immediate drinking water for the first holes of round 1. The frozen bottles are used for ice packs in my food. I'll take the one frozen bottle with me in round 1. Now I'll have ice cold water all round long and a frozen bottle to put on the back of my neck. The second bottle cmes out between rounds for round 2.

Also, this doesn't help beat the heat but beats the sticky sweat. Take a small bottle of baby powder and use it on the inside bend of your arm. This will prevent that stick between your bicep and tricep.

Snacks like trail mix and dried fruit also helps keep your body nourished with all that sweating.
I just drink water.
at my home courses there are bathrooms at two places on the course to fillup
at other courses during tournaments they have water jugs.

Of course I am born and raised in the south :P
Here are a couple of things I've not seen mentioned so far.

Get a golf cart, no really. Here in Houston, many of the older players have those pull carts converted to disc golf carts. This eliminates the burden of picking up and putting down that bag over and over. It is a huge advantage that many younger players spurn.

Get an umbrella. The sun directly on you is a killer! An umbrella is killer. Lest you think this is less than... masculine, I have pics of Barry Schultz carrying his umbrella around Texas States.

Someone commented on staying in the shade. In the Masters bracket here in Texas, a good throw that lands in the shade gets kudos. Any time you aren't throwing get in the shade. It really makes a difference.

Good luck.

p.s. I play in the heat every day and it does help, but the real secret to performing well in the heat is conserving your strength. Don't horse around, don't walk back and forth, horde your strength.
One of the best things i have learned (though it took a bit to sink in) is staying hydrated dose not just apply to during the round. Beer, though a great social lubricant, can be your best friend at night and your worst enemy the next day. It can make it very difficult to rehydrate and your muscles need all the water they can get to stay loose. No matter what your plans for the evening save room for water throughout the night.

I hope this finds you in time for your tourney or helps with your next one!
Oh its not till august. I appreciate all of the help guys.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968