www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey, guys. In nearly 35 years in Michigan and 10 years of disc golf, I've never had a tick on me—that I knew about. So far this year: 3(!)—but I got all three before they dug in. And my dogs are coming in with ticks all over them. Two just tonight from Ozzie. Anyone else in SE Michigan noticing more ticks than usual this year?

It's gotta either be Republicans or global warming, maybe both? ;-)

Tags: insects, parasites, pests, ticks

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The tick population expands and contracts with the deer population. In areas where development is leading to less hunting, but there is still plenty of deer habitat, the tick population is going to increase. That probably describes where you live.
ticks are definitely worse in our area this year... i won't pretend to know the reason. i thought i saw a tick the other day at rolling hills, but it was just kunoff... and, yes, he had the jelly ears
I've noticed too, Terry!

Damn, they're everywhere! I've rarely come across any in my life-time, until this year. I found one on me a couple months ago. Where did he come from? How long was it attached to me? How did he get on me? I wish I knew.

I killed the little guy (it wasn't that easy) and flushed him down the toilet. Whoops! I didn't know I was supposed to bring him with me to the doctors when I got checked out. All they could do is look me over and give me a script for Amoxacilliun (or something like that). If problems arose in a couple weeks, they told me to come back for more tests for possible Lyme Disease.

Everything seems fine now, but I've come across more since. I haven't even been able to play disc for a while because of work, but I bet they are out on the course hiding in a bush just waiting for us to walk by. I'm bringing bug spray with DEET from now on.

Good luck everyone in the fight against these little bastards.
My daughter (6 years old) came home from founders park with one on her neck, we found out 15 hours later and safely removed it, Yeah ticks are out there.
I grew up in tick country in Washington and I do think they run in cycles. Given the booming deer population, I'm not surprised. When I was young, before they had grape jelly, we used rags dipped in fetid mud, you find that really stinky sulferous smelling pile - If you live in sheep country find a puddle that the sheep have used regularly - dip the rag in and tie it around your neck. It works for ticks and vampires! I'd advise combining it with the grape jelly thing, one can't be too cautious.
Ruthy was pissed, Ben.
Dude that's insane Nic, hope it clears up. I can't believe you played one day got one tick and I've gotten so many and been playing for months and didn't get it. Glad you have medical coverage.
Terry,
I cannot ever remember having a tick on my body parts, until I started volunteering for the building of the Fort Custer Disc Golf Course (open for play by end of June '08) in Augusta, Mi. at the Fort Custer Recreation Area. At first I wasn't getting any (on me) as my fellow volunteers were being atacked. Was I immune? Well hole 14 is a jungle to create. Chainsaws, trimmers, loppers etc are being used on hole 14. Well I got home and no ticks. Very cool. I WAS immune. Well..the next day..I was sitting in my car with my arm resting on the window frame (chatting to my neighbor) and lo and behold at TICK was enjoying himself on my foream. What the...!!!?? That evening (while showering) I found another TICK on my upper thigh. Totally not cool. And most recently I found yet another TICK crawling on my gut hairs. Geesh!! No tick free dude here. Yes it seems ticks are everywhere and poisen ivy as well. Got a bad case of that too.
As to Republicans or Global warming being the cause of the outbreak...the safe answer I feel is... both. Hope this helped answer your question.
Ken,
I havent seen any around Tampa Bay, maybe the alligators arent carrying them this year...
I just saw a snippet on the news that the Moose, Meese?, in New England are being ravaged by ticks and that biologists are concerned about the long term health affects.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968