www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What do you guys think about playing tournaments on 18 hole par 72 golf courses? Have you ever tried this style of golf before?

Tags: 72, disc, golf, par

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Byron Big D Doubles is Saturday July 12 this year. Golf carts. Par 72 golf. We might add two extra holes if we have a crowd and make it par 79! Cashless pre-reg is available on PDGA.com.

One thing cool about par 4 and par 5 holes is the local player does not have a birdie drive grooved off the tee, because the birdie drive is the second or third throw on the hole.
93 Worlds in Huntsville Alabama used a 10,000 ft plus course that was a par 72 from what I can remember. Course combined holes from the older UAH South location with the holes located in the present location. Really tested your complete game not just pitch and putt skills.
I think disc golf is starting to loose its identity as a pure natural game played in the woods and in and out of open fields. I am starting to get the feeling people are not happy unless they are playing 900' foot wide open holes on ball golf type grass. This is disc golf, not country club culture. I have played many fly 18 courses and have thought most to be quite boring. I will take an interesting 5400' wooded course with elevation and natural features over the Winthrop 11000' artifical OB courses of the world any day. Just one man's opinion.
A lot of Fly 18 type courses are boring. It takes a special course to make for good golf and good disc golf too.
I played a tournament in Amarillo where a 1000 rated round was 71/72 and I must say I wouldn't mind playing that klind of golf all of the time. The holes were a great variety with 5 or so duecable holes that were just really technical as well as some very long technical holes with a lot of OB.
I'm confused by the question, and the answers so far are mixed enough to not solve the confusion...are we talking about playing on full size par 72 ball golf courses or on par 72 disc golf courses?

If ball golf courses, no thank you. Not if you're just following the existing fairways and trying to navigate 400 yard holes three or four times over. That's more a distance contest for the most part than a golf round.

If par 72 disc golf, then heck yes. I love playing courses that don't require you to pile up as many twos as you can get. Having to sometimes make two or three very good shots for a chance at a birdie putt is what golf really is. Courses like Winthrop Gold and Idlewild (especially Idlewild) is where the sport needs to go in the future. Challenging ALL aspects of the game, not just who can drive the pin and hit their putts on every hole.

And on another note brought up by one of the posters...all OB is artificial...
Female perspective: I'd love to play a par 72 course. That said if it's on a ball golf course the holes would need to be set up to have some kind of obstacles....not just open fairway because that is boring and is more a distance/endurance competition than anything else. There should also be golf carts if on a ball golf course ;)

If we are talking about a wooded or at least semi wooded par 72 disc golf course than I'm in no questions asked.
I like the idea but I know there is no way in hell that we could convince any 18 hole course here to close down for a day for disc golf.
Since your golfing season is so short, golfers are probably using the course until the snow accumulates. Around here we've convinced golf courses to let us use the course in October. It just takes some per$uading.
I think it was 1990 when we played the ball golfers on a new 9 hole ball golf course in Athens Tx. I teamed with another masters player against the course pro and the guy he picked up at the bar. There were other pro's playing in three groups. Throwing rollers on the groomed fairways was a blast. My partner (Ziggy King) made one over a small lake into the hole from about 150 and we won by three strokes. The course pro threw a mini fit and was fired a month later. I've still got the newspaper article. I think this was the first ball vs. disc match ever played.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968