www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

#6 If you have the option go with the hyzer before the anhyzer …
#5 Disc golf is a game of risk and reward, star par usually does not WIN…
#4 On your up shot if your not ten feet past the basket, it never had a chance.
I’d rather putt coming back to the basket then a spot short of the basket…
#3 There all round. Don’t stair into the bag too long, You should know your
discs better then that. We all have that go to disc, use it…
#2 That one sec. before you release your putt if your not 100% positive that
you have got it, take a step back and rethink it. The only thing that should
be in your head is I GOT THIS,
#1 The three M’s Mechanics Mechanics Mechanics. I try to work on
this In the field in back of my house. I work on it till my back and legs hurt, and
I still don’t have it right...
#1* This is a bonus. Why is disc golf more fun when you are playing for a
monetary value, Even if only a Single dollar, maybe it’s the bragging
rights ???

What's your top six ? or what do you thing of mine?

Tags: disc, do's, golf

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

#6 Courtesy is contagious!!
#5 Someone has a good drive, shot or putt: Tell Them!
#4 Make a mistake? Let it go, "A Lot Of Golf Left"
#3 Hide Double G's golf bag
#2 Don't forget about icing down the beer for after.
#1 Enjoy the Game, We are so lucky!
#6 After a bad shot or hole do your best to find something positive around you. A flower, bird, kid on the playground, a cool stamp on a disc, something to get your mind moving towards a positive state b/c you're going to need that positive state of mind when you reach the next tee or your disc.

#5 Do one thing to make the course better than when you arrived.

#4 Thank a volunteer, TD, or city/park employee at the next event you play in. Without them we couldn't enjoy doing what we love to do!

#3 If you're an AM and you have all the plastic you're going to need for awhile then the next time you win more plastic take it in the form of lightweight, beginner discs. Throw one or two in your trunk and the next time you run into a youngster in the park that asks you what you're doing you'll have something to give him/her.

#2 Do your best not to swear at the top of your lungs after a bad shot.

#1 Do your drinking from a can or plastic bottle. Leave the glass at home.
#6 Let your body, not your mind, throw the disc. It knows how to do it.
#5 Leave all emotions for after the round.
#4 You don't need every disc ever made in your bag.
#3 Your disc is made to do whatever it is designed to do. Don't force it.
#2 Play the course not the competition
#1 Practice
This conversation intrigued me Terry so, since you asked, this is what I think of yours:
#6 I'll bet 90% of DGers would agree.
#5 OK for casual single-round challenges but over a 4 round event Mr. Par may not WIN
but will often cash, deuces will come. Were you Mr. risk-taker at your 3 events this year?
#4 Once again, OK when you're playin your buddy for $5 but were you Mr. go-for-every-up-shot
at the 4 events you played from "04 to '06.
#3 No doubt, get rid of those "specialty" discs.
#2 Right on, confidence is so important.
#1 Yep, especially if you're like me with no arm speed.
#1* Sounds like you're the local hustler. Think back to when the game was new to you
and you played for the sheer fun of it. Money challenges are great but I hope it's not
the only way you can enjoy the game any more.

Don't take any of these the wrong way, You're obviously a good golfer to have a 983 rating but I challenge you Terry, to play more sanctioned events, at courses you don't play often. You'll see that rating dance around and teach you the benefits of playin it safe. If aggressive is your game then you can't change it, I guess my point is to challenge your competitive game and you'll have a more well-rounded game. I'll try to think of my 6 now.
6. When you are off the fairway and have any doubt, play down the original fairway
5. Trust your first instinct
4. Play the hole in your mind without the basket
3. When learning a course, always look back down the fairway towards the tee from the basket
2. It only takes one good shot to make a par
1. The game is about fun. Once you stop having fun, stop. It's not about who can win the most tournaments or sell the most plastic or throw the furthest or ace the most or whatever, it's about having fun.
Being a Tournament Director for our club monthly (LDGA, Lumberton NC, 4th Saturday of each month), I thought about this post from a slightly different perspective. These are my Top six for TD's. I hope that you will endulge me for a moment.

#6 Since players are winning or purchasing your discs, ask players what discs they would like you to order when you need to restock. Don't order a bunch of discs that no one wants.

#5 CTP's are needed at all events. Be creative in obtaining them. Business will donate gift certificates if you ask. Plastic is always a good CTP. If players know that you will have CTP's, many times they will donate some.

#4 Always start on time after you have a players meeting that outlines hazards, local rules, and common rulings that occur at your course.

#3 Rules are meant to educate not to punish. Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that you not apply penalties, but you should use common sense and not look to stroke players.

#2 Skill level should be the only criteria to dictate a player's division. You should not punish players because no one from their skill level attended the tournament. If a player scores significantly better than his competiion, politely show them where they would have placed in the next division and incourage them to move up next tourney. Only force them to move up if they consistently score significantly better.

#1 Publish the results of your event. Email your local newspapers, even if they never print them. Post them on a website, put them on a message board at your course, or mention them at the next tourney. This sport would grow even more dramatically if TD's would do this.

This is just my two cents, but tell me what you think.
.I like your #3 I find myself doing that. In fact I did this today on a new course I played “Turkey Lake the T-2" in
Orlando FL. It can be a big help for the next round.
Maybe at the amateur level par will cash. Ask any pro player, there game has to be on the aggressive side of playing just par golf. And if any player decides to go for a bride instead of a par or tries to save par after a real nasty and ugly lie or coming out of the schoul that golfer is playing risk and reward.

I believe that you have exaggerated comments on your reply. You called me a“ local hustler” I said “Why is disc golf more fun when you are playing for a monetary value, Even if only a Single dollar, maybe it’s the bragging rights ???”. You called me “Mr. risk-taker” I said “I’d rather putt coming back to the basket then a spot short of the basket…” .

I stand by what I posted in My Top Six Do’s. I feel that you tried to call me out a few times in your reply. And yes I do not have a large number of sanctioned tournaments, but the information you did not get when you looked me up on P.D.G.A. web site is the eleven different courses I played last year and the five different courses I played this year. I believe if I had the extra time and money and was able to play more sanctioned tournaments my player rating would be moving up not dance around as you called it. So please don’t try to teach me the benefits of playing it safe. I play it safe when I need to other wise I evaluate my options, and then consider the level of risk and reward and then play the appropriate shot while keeping in mind star par usually does not WIN…
It’s a good thing to get the parks department to understand what your disc golf club is all about. with a little help from them golf clubs can do a world a good for the park.
#6 Beginners should not own a driver for the first year.
#5 Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
#4 When keeping score during a tournament always call out everybodies score.
#3 Try new courses.
#2 Ask the pros for tips on your game.
#1 Work to promote the sport in your communities.
Your number one is very important, especially with the city or park and recreation div.
#6 - If you find yourself becoming bored with your local course but other courses are not available to you, start working on the facets of your game you might be neglecting: forehands, thumbers, rollers, shots with your non-dominant arm. Voila! The course just became challenging again.

(This is also an effective way to balance the scales a bit when you're playing with someone less experienced or skilled than you are.)

#5 - For God's sake, avoid the juvenile temptation to destroy trees, limbs, shrubbery and any other obstacles on the course. Not only is it against the rules, it's also some of the rudest behavior you can possibly exhibit on a course.

(This extends to vandalism of any sort, including tees, baskets, scorecard boxes, trash cans, etc. If you just can't help yourself, stay home until you grow up.)

#4 - Arrive at a tournament early enough to stretch, acclimate yourself to the conditions, get some putting practice and check your bag to ensure you're ready to tee off when the horn sounds. This is good advice for any round of golf, even casual rounds with friends, but it's especially important if you've paid for the opportunity to play and want to do well in the event.

#3 - Know your playing partners well enough to know when you can offer them advice, and when you can't. Some players appreciate constructive criticism, and some don't. And in a tournament, keep your advice to yourself unless it's requested.

#2 - Introduce yourself to other golfers. The disc golf community is large, but it's not infinite; every one of them knows someone you know, or knows something you could stand to learn. The players you meet today are your playing partners tomorrow. Disc golfers are among the kindest, most generous people on earth. The more of them you know, the richer your experience will be.

#1 - Enjoy every facet of a round of golf, every time: the beauty of the course; the perfect (or less-than-perfect) weather; the cameraderie; the crazy bounces, deflections, skips, spit-outs, "tournament rolls" and even the occasional great shots. Few experiences in life can be as thoroughly rewarding as a walk in the open air with good friends and a few bags of plastic. Cherish them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968