www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just to have fun to here if any of the older molds are still flying anymore..here's a start for every one..any Scorpion's or Cyclone 2's or Vipers in bags any more...

Views: 54

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I think I still have some of those original XDs lying around..Can you post a pic of your '77' mold...Is it blue or Red stamp?...This past summer I gave my son my old set of midnight flyers to play in his first tournament...it was great to watch alot of the newer players oggle at his set and at 6 years old he thought he was the king of the course!!!

Still throw a Pheonix...WOW..I never could throw them even when I had an arm...LOL
The original 80 molds had lettering molded in on the bottom of the Frisbee. Freestylers couldn't do nail delays without shaving them of first. In the late '70s we started sending the shaved-off letters and numbers to Wham-o in order to pressure them into stopping, and they did!
I like what 1080 Discs are doing to help with the lack of mold markings on new golf discs. They put the run and batch #s on every disc. With their system in place, we won't have to guess if we are getting the same disc as the favorite that is being replaced. They put this info. on the disc in the hot-stamping process, rather than in the actual casting mold. It would make life easier for everybody if all manufacturers adopted this practice. I know alot of players looking for "old Beasts", but there is no designation on either the old one or new ones to make it easy to know which one is in their hand. I don't care for the desention, but the silver lining is obvious. We need to band TOGETHER to pressure the disc makers to do a better job of labeling the discs. I don't care if they use mold #s (although Wham-o might) or just change the name of the disc for each new mold. History has shown that the end users of any product have the final say in what is brought to market. Let's use our power to effect positive change.
Good points. As an old Wham-O player I know exactly what you mean. 40-molds were relatively stable, straight flyers, 41's were under-stable and 42's were over-stable, etc. I think one thing that makes the mold number obsolete for newer discs is that the tops and bottoms of molds get inter-changed in order to come up with slight modifications of discs (actually, this is just a hypothesis...).
Since I started playing I got very interested in collecting old glow pastic and have become quite attached to old school Night Flyers. Now I don't play with any of them except for one that is already kind of beat up. I take it on camping trips and tournaments when I know I have a chance of playing at night 'cause everyone knows these things glow like a sumbitch. I don't play with it in competition. It is a Midnight Flyer 2nd generation of golf discs no trademark rings 41 mold circa 1979. The disc hangs on my office wall at work. They are alot of fun to throw at night with friends.

And to back up Scott. Old skool players would relate calling a disc a mold to original disc golf Frisbees for the already afor mentioned reasons. I think new skool players would relate mold with the type of disc Beast Gazelle etc.
not a hypothesis bro "SL "TL" these are hybrid discs "SL"=Starfire x Leopard and the same with "TL" i cant remember if its teebird or tee rex but they are crossed with the leopard to make it a slightly different disc
can't post a pic but Discovering the world has some. The stamp is # 77 in silver on a light baby blue disc.Got it pretty cheap thru DCW

Here are some old molds for you. The only one missing is the one I throw it's back in my office at work. The #6 fastback is out of Ed's personal collection.

They glow better in person than on film.

Check out my profile to see a bigger picture.
Yeah, these are the discs that made the game a viable sport. really nice pre s4it ring discs on top.are those night flyers on the top?
Yes they are. I put them in order of production. The top three are Night Flyers and the next 2 are Midnight Flyers no s*it ring.
I putt with a super puppy. its a remake but its an old mold!

Check out the pic of my old DGA Putterdrive. This was my 1st disc back in 1986. Can't believe I never lost it.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968