www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What discs do you think are best when turbo putting?

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am trying to get away from turbo putting due to the fact that I am horrible at it in winds.... But I think that drivers work good for long distance putts, Other than that the dart and avairs work great.
into headwinds the turbo is easy, real easy. nose up slightly and it flies on a laser. other winds are tough though and that is a downfall of the shot. not enough of one for me to stay away from it though.
I use a soft or flx challenger when i turbo. Just enough grip to get the spin.
Headwinds are my kyrponite on the turbo. I dont mind side winds. Sometime tailwinds can be weird too. I am playing in Kansas now. ALL winds are headwinds!
I seems the bigger the disc, the better turbo putting works. using my buzzz seems to work the best.
I think I will try my boss when I get home in about a month.
I used to use Challengers when I started but have found that I throw even better with a max weight Wizard. I started throwing them about 10 years ago just screwing around. So about 5 years ago I spent an entire summer strictly putting turbo. thats what it took. Now when I need it to get out of trouble I am money. In the meantime I have learned to curve it. I can curve left or right. I have played with the supposed originator of the turbo putt, Dave Greenwell. He has seen me curve the disc and can't believe I ever took the shot to that point. I always said it reminds me of throwing curve balls as a pitcher. It's pretty close. As far as headwinds go it can be done. Somebody mentioned nose up, which works good. Also the curve works well through the wind!
russell,
i'm learning the turbo and asked for info and help on this forum yesterday afternoon. if you have time could you describe how you throw your turbo, grip. stance, arm motion how to get the distance and action you mentioned.
i've been playing seriuosly for about six months and i really need to get better in my putting. so far i'm killer inside 25 feet and got a couple of good replies to my post yesterday. being old, slow, bald, and occasionally playing 18 baskets with my good friend "jose cuervo" i need all the help i can get. my putting in the port city open this past weekend cost me more than i care to count.
thanks.
j.c.
i'm a lefty so keep that in mind.
when i can, i put my right foot in front, pointing at the basket, left foot back. thumb on the dot in the middle of the disc, four fingertips on the outside rim and back of the disc (if the "front" is closest to the basket). Well first I hold it reverse, with my hand close to the basket then pull back slowly so my hand is behind the disc. Then I get my hand to about mid-head high, and PUSH the disc hard, with my arm and by twisting my body if necessary (for long ones). While i'm pushing the disc my hand goes from the back to the left and i get a smooth release off the left side, like throwing a football. Not overspinning and finishing crazy, but my arm looks like i did a karate chop and its pointing straight at the basket. For really long ones i'll even step into it a couple steps and jump a little. After practicing putting for a while my arm will be more sore than if i were practicing driving, because of that push that can make turbos dead accurate. when i'm missing putts its usually because i'm not putting my all into it in that last fraction of a second when you have to give it all the muscle you can just for that small point in time. you don't have to putt with that ooomph at the end to have a good turbo, but i find it makes me sickly accurate. don't give up on it man its a GREAT putt!
Not a big turbo putter only use it when im unable to put other ways. But there is a turbo putter made by quest A.T. called Turbo Putt, However mine says PDGA approved 06-05-07 but i heard its been disapproved so maybe some research is needed before any purchase if you play in tourny's
It's no longer PDGA approved..

I like my 172 Glow Aviar for turbo putts. I do pretty much all of my wide open close putts with a turbo because it has very little chance of left-right missing and it dives into the basket which is really optimal for close putting.

I really can't get enough distance to throw it 60 ft like Blaze is talking about, but I imagine it'd make for a helluva accurate putt.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968