www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

is it a concious thing?

How do I know im doing it?

Does everyone have it?

How do you get it?

All i hear about is snap this and snap that. I never can figure this out.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Donnie, I would suggest getting a couple of good disc golf DVD's [or videos] and watching some pro's throw. Might help you understand the motion.

Like I said, it's hard to describe in words.
HERE IS A GOOD PHOTO THAT MAY HAVE HAD SOME SNAP ASSOCIATED WITH IT!
Attachments:
This was very helpful...

steve said:
snap is the last monent your disc releases from your hand, the disc snaps off of your fingertips and makes a distinct "snap" sound. the snap generates spin- which allows your disc to fly the way it is supposed to. its somewhat concious- i think it will just come with smooth, proper mechanics. youll know youre doing it when you hear the snap and you feel the disc kinda rip outta your hand. not everyone has good form thus not everyone has (some) snap. when you throw a drive its about accelerating your swing as you come through with it, the faster this last movement is the more energy your putting into the disc. you dont need a sprinting run up, just walk up smooth and explode at the end of the swing. ive read if you chase your disc w your off hand as you follow through, itll help you bring your body around faster and accelerate your swing. when i throw im not thinking about snap or power. im focused on smootheness and accuracy and timing.. i sometimes find my self throwing errant shots when im trying to over power, ill slow myself down and try to control it a little better, and whatdyaknow? im throwing further.
hope this helps
-steve
that face is like OHH SNAP lol

Jamie said:
HERE IS A GOOD PHOTO THAT MAY HAVE HAD SOME SNAP ASSOCIATED WITH IT!
snap is nothing anyone can describe to you
and not all times you hear it
you know when you rip a disc and it just feels great your release was awesome it had power and its just zoomin i think thats got some snap on it lol
personally im a sidearm thrower and my fingers snap about every time i throw
it took me along time to learn it and idk how i even did i think its just something that comes to you
all i really know about it is when you hear someone or even yourself throw and it sounds like there hand just poped off its gunna be a great drive but personally i dont think its somthing you can learn from anyone i think the only advise that would help you get snap is advise on your form
cuz great for = great snap =great power = great success = great claps from the guys around you =)

gripit,flickit,stickit
DJ who hates bill forever :)
To begin,

Go to discgolfreview.com and read Dave Dunipace's articles on throwing long and with... snap.

Remember back to high school when you snapped that football player an the backside with a towel (you know, just before he beat the crud out of you). The snap here has much in common with a towel snap. No matter how fast you move that towel, you can't snap the end unless right before contact, you pull the towel back sharply. What that does is to accelerate the very tip of the towel

In disc flight, that acceleration results in torque or spin. Think about putting torque on the disc and what kind of motion would best do that? Well that motion is referred to as snap. Imagine if you will, a pull through that puts no spin on the disc. Inherently, the motion of unwinding your elbow tends to make the disc spin out of your hand. To eliminate that, you'd have to keep your wrist fixed and release the disc before it had a chance to "roll" out of your hand. How then would you increase the spin. Well, if your hand, at the wrist, were to come in (towards your body) and then flick out right at the release, well, that would increase the spin (this of course is the equivalent to the flick that occurs at the tip of the towel.

That wag in and flick out are the key elements and how they happen is critical. Dave Dunipace writes that they are spontaneous, that they can't be controlled. That can't be completely true since some people can do it and some can't. That is, there are things you can do to put your hand on a track for snap to occur. What's more, once you figure it out, you can do things during the throw to tighten up your snap and make it more powerful.

The wag in. I disagree with Dave's premis that this occurs because of the weight of the disc pulling your hand in against your tendons (Dave calls it tendon bounce). I can throw up to 440 feet (but average more like 390 - this would be on open field shots for distance) and yet I well control that wag in. As I pull in to a bent elbow, I wag the disc in. Then I unbend or throw by unbending at the elbow and I flick it out. The flick is not directed, that is, like the end of the towel, it is too fast for you to control, but proper arm positioning and that wag in, sets you up so that when you unbend your elbow, your wrist flicks out putting a ton of spin on your disc.

Back to Dave. Go read his stuff. It's a long read, but it's very good. Read it, then read it again. When you convince yourself he's wrong, don't worry, in the end you'll realize he's right.
Steve,
I agree with you and Mr. McMullen about the snap. Not Mr. Sink. I have heard it upon my release from the tee pad. . If I did hear a snap in my wrist according to Mr Sink...I'd probably be heading for the hospital. Thus ending my short disc golf career. But if you are a forehand player I think the word "snap" as in snapping the wrist, is just a figure of speech.

steve said:
snap is the last monent your disc releases from your hand, the disc snaps off of your fingertips and makes a distinct "snap" sound. the snap generates spin- which allows your disc to fly the way it is supposed to. its somewhat concious- i think it will just come with smooth, proper mechanics. youll know youre doing it when you hear the snap and you feel the disc kinda rip outta your hand. not everyone has good form thus not everyone has (some) snap. when you throw a drive its about accelerating your swing as you come through with it, the faster this last movement is the more energy your putting into the disc. you dont need a sprinting run up, just walk up smooth and explode at the end of the swing. ive read if you chase your disc w your off hand as you follow through, itll help you bring your body around faster and accelerate your swing. when i throw im not thinking about snap or power. im focused on smootheness and accuracy and timing.. i sometimes find my self throwing errant shots when im trying to over power, ill slow myself down and try to control it a little better, and whatdyaknow? im throwing further.
hope this helps
-steve
some one sounds pretentious.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968