www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello all, I'm Jason and brand new to disc golf. Back in college I was sort of introduced to the game by a friend of mine from New York who was a fanatic. At the time, I didn't understand why. I went with him and "played around" a couple of times but never really got into it.

Things have changed now though. It was kind of like waking up one morning and knowing that I wanted to not only play but play well. I began reading and watching videos when I ran across this great community. The closest park to me is Tuscawilla in Datyona Beach (about 20 minutes away). I don't think learning to play there would be a good idea as I would quickly run out of discs with all the water hazards. I digress...

What I would really like to know is how you would recommend someone get stared at a local park/field/back yard. Should I start with putting and move toward driving? Anyone have thoughts on a "Learn to disc gold 101 bootcamp for the complete newbie"? (I should trademark that title)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tags: Beach, Daytona, learning, newbie

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

go out and get 4 discs. a driver (i reccommend a leopard in 165 grams) a mid range ( buzzz 175g) a putter (wizard 175) and a disc that will float. go to a field and start off slow throw them see how they fly, and learn the throw.

youtube has some great videos, look up disc golf. find one for the "x step" and see how others play on the videos. best of luck man main thing is have fun with it...

beatz
Dude, come on out. Right now the ponds are as dry as a bone. Plus we have Reed Canal which is a short course with one pond that doesn't come into play...unless your Norbert!...Just kidding. Really it's a great place to start with the longest hole at 356 and the average length...right over 200.

The best way to learn the game is to play with others who have been playing awhile.

Next weekend we have are 11th Annual Daytona Open...It's sold out but you should come and watch....even help out if you like...to get a feel for the sport.

We could always use spotters on some of our longer, tougher holes.
Oh yeah, We have a Disc Vendor at Tuscawilla just about every afternoon.
Beatz - I picked up a Drive, Mid-Range and Putter last week from DiscGolfCenter.com while I was in Orlando. I have been putting around the yard a little so far...

Gr8rocshot1 - I just found out about Reed Canal today. I will have to check it out this weekend. As for the Daytona Open, I will be there without a doubt. If a hand is needed, just let me know what time to show up. I'd be glad to help out and pick up pointers/techniques.

Thanks for the responses!
Jason,
If Tuscawilla is "scary" go down the street to Reed Canal Park.
There are 18 holes, a shorter course, friendly--no water hazards to worry about and great catching chainstar baskets. There also is an open field to practice your driving.
At the PDGA course directory page http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2586
See you around town.
Jason,

The above advice is all good. I'd say you're also on to something when you ask if you should focus on putting and then move to driving. YES! Focus on putting. Having a consistent 15-20 foot putt in your back pocket is going to benefit you on the course far more than being about to throw 300+ feet. I see too many new players focus on long, long, long and they suffer in the short game. The biggest difference I see locally between the amateurs and the pros is the short game. Some ams around here can chuck it 400 feet, but can't sink a 20-footer with any consistency. When they do however, look out. But it seems most would rather spend 30 minutes hurling every driver they own into the field rather than spend 15 minutes around the basket putting.

So when you hit the course, spend a good 20 minutes practicing your putting before you begin a round...and when you do that, don't venture more than 20-25 feet away from the basket. Keep it close and make a lot of putts. And like Beatz recommended, check out some of the instructional videos on YouTube. The putting confidence program vid pretty much echos exactly what I've been preaching to our local newbies for years...focus on the short stuff first.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968