www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have battled with this for 30 years. What are the best gloves to throw with and when are they necessary? I use them in cooler to cold weather and sometimes in rain but I have never been satisfied with the grip. Baseball batting gloves work best for the most part but the good ones are expensive. i've seen diving gloves,tennis etc. but nothing really stands out. Any thoughts?

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From PDGA Rulebook...
802.04 Artificial Devices
A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player’s hand or artificially lengthens any of the player’s throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters, such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

Thus, the only advice I can offer is regarding the gloves is find one the minimizes cuts to your hand. In terms of finding one that is stickier would be in contrast to the rules. I have never seen anyone throw with gloves (even in -20 degrees F).
racketball. dirty 'em up real good to remove stickum.
You could use them in a casual round, but I would never run the risk in a tournament.
thanks ED I'll give 'em a try.
YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED ONE, JUST WEAR ONE ON THE NON THROWING HAND AND CARRY A HAND WARMER IN YOUR POCKET. IT WILL PROBABLY GIVE YOU A BETTER GRIP, MY HAND DOES NOT GET COLD, EVEN HERE IN MICHIGAN.
Been playing winter leagues for six years in Lincoln, NE. Try a wool mitten on the throwing hand. When it comes time to throw, take off the mitten, grip, and rip.

Some of the guys wear glove/mittens that fold back and let the fingers come out. Interesting idea, but always seems like too much of a hassle for me.

Something like this
I was experimenting with gloves this winter. I found three types that work well. Batting Gloves, wide receiver gloves, and if you can afford them Seal Skin Gloves. The seal skin gloves are seamless and work great. I've found that driving backhand or forhand with gloves just bother me at all but putting feels funny so I usually take them off. Gloves are really nice for thumber or tomahawk shots, you can really squeeze the disc hard wityhout fear of ripping the skin off your fingers :)
I wear a glove to protect my fingers, which are suspectable to breaking blood vessles. The biggest problem is RAIN. I usually carry a spare, and if the rain is heavy, I will need several back-ups. I cruise the sport stores looking for sales. A batting glove is the best, but very expensive.
Why not wear appropriate winter gloves and take the glove off the throwing hand when needed??? I have found this to work great in the winter in Michigan. If needed cheap disposable hand warmers help.
I am new to the game, but i haved worked out side for 20 years. The gloves i found that keep your hands warm are contracrors gloves. thay have great grip.
i would advise mechanics gloves there grippy and fit tight

i also hear rubber cloves work great for grippy in wet weather
What I found works best is to go to a sporting goods store and buy an item called a muff. It straps around your waist and rides in the front. When you throw simply slide it around to your backside. Put two large hand warmers inside and your hands will stay very warm. If anything my hands get too warm and start to sweat.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968