www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Do we have a reason to be ashamed of who we are? Should we try to present ourselves as something we are not?

These questions are central to issues like the Collared Shirt Rule for major tournaments or the way that the new disc magazine (FDM) portrays the sport. It seems to me that we cannot disguise who we are and trying to do so will not work. Beyond that, why should we try?

Go to a disc golf course and watch who shows up. Most of those you see will be young, blue collar and counter-culture (let's call that Y, BC, CC). If a park or a potential sponsor or a player cannot embrace (or at least tolerate) Y, BC,CC then they will not like the sport of disc golf. Go to a disc golf tournament and watch who shows up. Mostly the same group. Somewhat older and more dedicated but still BC and CC.

We are not like ball golfers. We are not as wealthy or as conservative as they are. Nor will we be for the foreseeable future. We would look foolish trying to pass ourselves off as something we are not. And our foolish attempt would be immediately transparent to all involved. Hippies in collared shirts are still hippies. So too are Y, BC, CC in collared shirts.

If Flying Disc Magazine were to homogenize itself to the point where it hides the true character of our sport, it does us no favors with parks or sponsors. Sorry but that scam is going nowhere.

So why should we be ashamed of what we are? Some of us find the Frisbee Family to be pretty darn charming and lovable. Since joining the Frisbee Family is purely voluntary, anyone whose ego needs a status bump will go down the road to the country club.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cent inquired: Can I buy some weed from you Mark?

If I ever change professions I'll give you a call. In the meantime I could hook up with a great Buzzz.
I could not agree with you more mark. I have felt this way for several years about this great sport.

I have felt that any gains that we make by trying to look the part of a country club crowd would be small compared to the gains that we would make by being potraying ourselves authentically and honestly.

People can tell when someone is being "real" and when discgolfers passion and love for their game shine, that is what will almost always be the best for our sport.
What exactly about Flying Disc Magazine is homogenizing? All I know about it is the preview on their website, which has only one interesting element - your putting video.

Given that your video is posted there, maybe you have some inside knowledge you can share about how FDM is the Best Buy of disc golf publications. Perhaps they had a run in with a bad "branding" consultant. I don't know, I always like stories, especially in the privacy of cyberspace.

Given your observations about disc golfers, namely that they are Y, BC, and CC, wouldn't that bode poorly for selling lots of magazines? I don't know, but I think that magazines are sort of like fax machines. . . not quite obsolete, but almost. Except for Adbusters, there's a magazine worth buying.
Blue collar does not make you a derelict.
It is a person's choice how they present themselves.

I have plenty of friends who are "blue collar" are very intelligent and well spoken.
Their 'momma' taught them how to dress right.

If disc golf were not in hidden parks, there would not be any problems...
Discretion.

Would you smoke weed in Walmart?
Maybe the stock guys do in the back?
Ever been in a "Walmart" lately?
No offense to "Walmart" and its employees. (associates)
I knew it!!!!......... That's why I can't ever find any help in Wally World....they're in the back doing bong hits....or hanging with the Ho Ho's????????
Not sure, exactly what goes on.
But from what they get paid, a 2nd job would have to pay for the drug habit.
Or maybe they still live at home.....
Did you ever notice in some of them (Walmarts) the candy & cookie sections are always being restocked every day.
Many would argue the ball golfers are just a bunch of drunks with sticks in thier hands.....

Its not about being ashamed of who you are, its about whats important. At a golf event with the public involved you have to be willing to allow everyone to enjoy whats going on, the other golfers, the public, kids, adults, media..... golf isnt about interjecting your lifestyle onto all those around, its about everyone coming together to enjoy the spirt of the game.
some people take longer to grow up and others never do... i guess, you could argue that your costume is somewhat related to where you're at with that, but i stand by stance i took on a similar thread previous. it's a gentlemen's game... gentlemen show and expect respect. the rule book and general understandings of etiquette are just long winded ways of saying it. regardless of how you chose to dress, act, and behave while you play, it's just another day in the park... but, for most of us, it's not our park and we're not the only one's using it. how wonderful would it be if everyone figured that out before they figured out how to throw rollers? later on, mr. frisbee...
Wise words one and all so far. I agree with Mark we should be ourselves and not wear a mask to the world, just to try and glorify our sport.
Exactly.
I am not ashamed of who I am. I love disc golf and I love the *most* of the people I meet playing disc golf. We don't need to mask who we are (which will always be a generalization) to glorify our sport. Snowboarding, skateboarding, bmx, and surfing fall into the alternative category. These sports attract all kinds of different people and are not looked down on due to the surrounding culture in general. No matter how we present ourselves someone out there won't like it. We should glorify what we have because we know disc golf rocks, we are proud of our sport, and we think other people will like it just as much as we do.

Paw Dawg and Glane have the issue nailed. During public events we need to put our best face forward.

I am Young, White Collar, Slightly Counter Culture, and 100% Proud Disc Golfer.
On the flip side... I'm a hippie at heart who became a teacher (looking more like a teacher these days). I go out disc golfing with other teachers from time to time and feel slightly out of place with a bunch of conservative looking middle aged dudes among the typical disc golf crowd. It's really funny when a kid looks at us and recognizes one of their former teachers.

More to the point, this is a sport that welcomes everyone and anyone. No membership required, no greens fees, no tee times, no motorized carts, friendly talk with strangers is allowed and encouraged, and it's even fun for people with no experience. Mark is exactly right. I can't imagine disc golf with a conservative look or feel, and collaring players would look like a ridiculous facade.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968