www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Do we have a reason to be ashamed of who we are? Should we try to present ourselves as something we are not?

These questions are central to issues like the Collared Shirt Rule for major tournaments or the way that the new disc magazine (FDM) portrays the sport. It seems to me that we cannot disguise who we are and trying to do so will not work. Beyond that, why should we try?

Go to a disc golf course and watch who shows up. Most of those you see will be young, blue collar and counter-culture (let's call that Y, BC, CC). If a park or a potential sponsor or a player cannot embrace (or at least tolerate) Y, BC,CC then they will not like the sport of disc golf. Go to a disc golf tournament and watch who shows up. Mostly the same group. Somewhat older and more dedicated but still BC and CC.

We are not like ball golfers. We are not as wealthy or as conservative as they are. Nor will we be for the foreseeable future. We would look foolish trying to pass ourselves off as something we are not. And our foolish attempt would be immediately transparent to all involved. Hippies in collared shirts are still hippies. So too are Y, BC, CC in collared shirts.

If Flying Disc Magazine were to homogenize itself to the point where it hides the true character of our sport, it does us no favors with parks or sponsors. Sorry but that scam is going nowhere.

So why should we be ashamed of what we are? Some of us find the Frisbee Family to be pretty darn charming and lovable. Since joining the Frisbee Family is purely voluntary, anyone whose ego needs a status bump will go down the road to the country club.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To say that Pot smoking makes disc golf seem like less of a sport is crap. every professional sport at one time or another has had players getting busted for some kind of pot related crime, does that mean that basketball, football and baseball aren't really sports,(yes i know i left out hockey and thats because hockey players don't seem to get in trouble for drugs that often). yes i do agree that if you are going to smoke when you are out on the course it should be done very discretely so as to not bring about the involvement of the police as far as the littering you see on the course i don't believe that it is caused by stoners, yes they are lazy but most stoners are very evo. friendly and don't litter heck on the courses that i play the potheads are the ones that spend most of the time cleaning up after the young people(high school kids) that at least in my area has been more of the problem than anything giving disc golfers the bad rap.
What a nice experience! :)
Couldn't agree with this more, Mark.
Interesting Points of View !!
Mark Ellis wrote: "We are not like ball golfers. We are not as wealthy or as conservative as they are. Nor will we be for the foreseeable future. We would look foolish trying to pass ourselves off as something we are not. And our foolish attempt would be immediately transparent to all involved. Hippies in collared shirts are still hippies. So too are Y, BC, CC in collared shirts."

Agreed, to a degree. What has always made disc golf SO appealing as a sport, to me, is that the guy flipping burgers at Burger King for a living can be as good or BETTER at the sport than the CEO of Burger King...because it won't cost said burger-flipper thousands in equipment, green fees, driving range fees, private lessons, et al to get very good at the sport.

One of the few things that I dislike about the sport, however, is the bit of over-doing it that many people do related to the whole "counter culture," "fight the power," and/or "we all know who 'Tha Man' is." Players openly bragging about breaking laws and actually BREAKING laws...be it on the course or at home. Players assuming that folks with cash don't really belong or aren't really "one of them." Then not minutes later, complaining about how hard it is to get sponsors to help fund the sport...or why their local course or a hole or two is on the verge of being pulled and that they'll have to go to a City Council meeting and listen to some #$%^&%# neighbor(s) DARE to complain about public drunkeness, pot smoking on the course and in the park, vile/vulgar language, trespassing, public urination, etc, etc.

You (WE) can't have it both ways. We either collectively respect others around us, respect laws/rules or we don't. And if we don't, then who are we to complain about how little __________ (respect, funding, etc.) we receive from others outside the DG community? It's the same as with anything else in life. 90+ percent of us are super-nice...respectful....leave the land and the people around us better than how we found them, etc. It's that remaining 10 percent who are selfish tools who wreck it for everyone else.

Long story short then, our job as a DG community is to make sure that those TOOLS do not represent our sport in the media, to the general public, or to our civic leaders. Tools will be tools, but if they know that their actions are also pissing off most of the other players on the courses around them, they'll hopefully either change their ways or go away. OUR JOB, as league organizers, tournament directors, course contacts/liaisons, etc., is to show others within and outside our community that said tools represent the vast minority of our community...and that we don't like or won't tolerate their actions any more than they do. As soon as we convey (directly or indirectly) that those tools' actions are socially acceptable to us or are even encouraged, we've lost as a sport.
Long story short then, our job as a DG community is to make sure that those TOOLS do not represent our sport in the media, to the general public, or to our civic leaders. Tools will be tools, but if they know that their actions are also pissing off most of the other players on the courses around them, they'll hopefully either change their ways or go away. OUR JOB, as league organizers, tournament directors, course contacts/liaisons, etc., is to show others within and outside our community that said tools represent the vast minority of our community...and that we don't like or won't tolerate their actions any more than they do. As soon as we convey (directly or indirectly) that those tools' actions are socially acceptable to us or are even encouraged, we've lost as a sport.

Boy!! That sure hits the nail on the head!!!
Oh man , I know alot of players who will be bummed if they can't play hammered !! Just Kidding !!
Tools, fools its all the same.
They inhabit every disc golf course in the country.
We unfortunately come across people that do not care, and feel it is their God given right to act anyway they feel like.
You put a disc in their hand and instantly they are a 'disc golfer.'
You put a 'golf club' in someone's hand, does that make them a golfer?
Or just another drinking hacker on the course.

It's the events that need to be held up to a 'higher?" standard.
Of course there is no real solution, until those that participate act as a congenial group and police themselves.
Until then, we get what we get.
hypocrites

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968