www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Horrible news monday morning as San Diego disc golfers were awakened to the news that the world famous shoe tree on hole #2 had fallen in the previous night wind storm.

I have been playing at Morley for about 25 years and have brought many people with me to play just to show them the tree. It feels like losing a good friend. My son Jonathan wants to go see it one one time he said tonight. Hopefully Snapper or someone will come up with some type of tribute to our "friend"

Look At Video

Tags: diego, field, morley, san, shoe, tree

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a camera phone pic from today of the Morley Shoe Tree Memorial / newly planted tree.

Hey Mark !!!!

There is a New Tree planted in that spot now.
Did anybody count how many shoes were on the tree after it fell?
I just played Morley for the first time about 2 1/2 months ago, and got to see the tree. Suddenly I am glad to have made it there when I did. We have a shoe tree on the way from Bend, Oregon up to Mt Bachelor Ski Area. It doesn't have as many shoes though, nor has it been there 30 years. Well, the tree has been there longer than that, but the tradition hasn't.
I rememberplaying Morley Field < that was in 1987, before Snapper started charging to play, having looked at the present condition of Morley Field I would say that Snapper has done a wonderful job of improving the course. As for the shoe tree, Im sorry that the tree blew down, however I think that Snapper would hopefully I hope all of you SanDiegans are doing well
Darrell Prunty #2659
It almost looks like another shoe tree at Morley has been started. By the Bench on Hole # 11.
do you think that the 800 pair of shoes weighing down on this tree had anything to do with it toppling over? Or was it dead when the first pair were hucked up into the tree? Who threw the 1st shoe??
Yes !!!!! The shoes were the culprit !!!!! They had filled with water and the root system just could not hold all that weight !!!
The legend of the shoe tree claims that the first shoes were thrown up there by a man on a bet. He and his friends made a bet that the loser of the round would throw their shoes in the tree. Apparently many more followed. I don't think anyone counted the shoes, but they did fill their truck bed something like 6 times on the way to the dump.

The tree was dead when the ritual began (I think), and they were definitely the reason for its falling. It rained a lot that night (especially by San Diego standards). The weight of thew wet shoes and the force from the wind did it in.
Sorry for the typos on my first reply. I aced #1 at Morley that is one ace that I will never forget. Im glad that the tree has been replanted , also I think its cool oh is Mirkwood still there?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968