www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Horrible news monday morning as San Diego disc golfers were awakened to the news that the world famous shoe tree on hole #2 had fallen in the previous night wind storm.

I have been playing at Morley for about 25 years and have brought many people with me to play just to show them the tree. It feels like losing a good friend. My son Jonathan wants to go see it one one time he said tonight. Hopefully Snapper or someone will come up with some type of tribute to our "friend"

Look At Video

Tags: diego, field, morley, san, shoe, tree

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sucks. Although I only got to play that course several times in one weekend that tree will live in my memory forever. I thought it was so funny. What is the story behind it how did it get started?
Terribly news. If you want the new clip here you go.
The famous shoe tree on hole #2 at Morely Field has fallen. Its a dark day for San Diego Disc Golf.

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=202203
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the story. It truly is a dark day for Morley Field.
Royal bummer. Morley has been my yearly summer pilgrimage destination from Seattle and that course and tree are poetry to my eyes. Fortunately I have several pictures of it.

I was planning on making a tombstone of sorts. I'll hopefully have it together by mid next week.

R.I.P. The Shoe Tree; our friend, our foe.

I can't believe it made the paper:
Read SD U-T article
Oh thats really too bad, it was a cool landmark. RIP shoe tree
That does suck. I played there for two years, and kinda took it for granted. But everytime I brought a newbie out, that's the first thing they noticed.

Snapper is crafty with downed trees, you never know, it could be cemented back into the ground tomorrow.
Howdy San Diego golfers,
I moved from SD in 1992. So you can get a time line on the age of the shoe tree, I have never seen that tree with shoes strung across it. So it has not been a shoe tree for 25 yrs! Maybe 15 yrs?
I am in my home area of NY state, installed a Disc Golf course in a nearby park, (someone had to), and still shank away when my noodle arm allows me to. Hope all is well at Morley Field.
GO CHARGERS!! THE DREAM IS STILL ALIVE!!
Being a SD native and playing at Morley since the late 70's, I can confirm it's exstience. It may have only had a few shoes then but it was there. I will post pictures soon of the quasi-shrine that is in it's place.

ps... thanks for the Charger love. Again as a San Diego native, God has to give us a championship in something soon (other than indoor soccor)!
RIP Shoe tree! I will always remember it fondly. I took a lengthy video of it the day I was there. It's a sad day for Morley Field and disc golfers everywhere that didn't get a chance to gaze upon it's surreal presence.
I too will miss the Shoe tree. I was just thinking about that tree this morning as the pieces of an old tree were being hauled away in a truck at a local disc golf course of mine. I am from PA and only played Morley Field about 5 times but felt I must say farewell to something cool.
RIP Shoe Tree. A new one has already been planted in its place.
Attachments:

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968