www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I never have been able to get the tomahawk down. I was wondering if any body has any tips about throwing a tomahawk.

Tags: tomahawk

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watch the Discraft clinic video!
Use your thumb instead of your index finger. THe disc flips to opposite way but at least for me, I seem to get more flick out of it. I switch up depending on which way I would rather it flip, but if I had to choose one, I always use my thumb.
hold the disc just like your throwing a forhand. give it a little
tilt to the left and put lots of wrist flick into it. i would recomend
using a Valk or Orc for the throw as they both turn over
faster and more reliably then other discs.
ah yes. start with a very understable disc. You want it to turn over a quarter way, glide upside down and then drop. Understable ones will flip easier, but as you get better you want to have more overstable discs because the disc will flip over completely and just drop down without gliding. Now I Use either a Discraft Flick or Innova Max.
If he puts his thumb in the rim then he is throwing a Thumber not a TomaHawk...Come on Shawn. Two totally different shots. I personally can throw a Thumber better than a TomaHawk. I have alos developed a shot I call the DomaHawk. I use the most over-stable disc I can find then I throw the disc RH inbetween sidearm and overhand. The disc is thrown Anhyzer and wide right. It is basically a FH flex shot.
Shawn Welling said:
Use your thumb instead of your index finger. THe disc flips to opposite way but at least for me, I seem to get more flick out of it. I switch up depending on which way I would rather it flip, but if I had to choose one, I always use my thumb.
Maybe start off learning with the thumber (I call it tomahawk too) and slowly work in the Tommy with your finger. At least you'll get a feel of the throwing style and way it will flip. Just remember it'll hook to the right with the thumber, left with the finger (assuming you throw RH).

example of thumber: 1. Grip disc with thumb on inner rim. 2. Line-up your shot(I start low with disc). 3. Use an appropriate walk-up/run-up (depending on distance needed). 4. Release at an angle (try 45 degrees) with a QB type of release point (kinda eye level). 5. Follow-thru with your shot.

Remember, those tommy's/thumbers can get away from ya if you throw'em too high! Practice in a big, open field first. Windy days affect them a lot. They also get caught up in trees easier.

Before you know it, you'll be able to get them to roll this way too. Anyways good luck and keep practicing.
thanx for the tips
I used to hurt my shoulder when throwing the hammer, however my friend told me to throw it like I was throwing a baseball from the outfield. Which totally worked because it totally makes me tilt my body to the left and I can come over the top and throw it. I use a 2 finger hammer. Hope this among all the other tips, help you figure it out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968