www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This subject has me a bit irritated. I'm looking for a certain frisbee which was discontinued years ago. There is and hasn't been one like it. I understand they need new products to keep interest, but this was a highly regarded/ award winning frisbee. If there had been anything like it made in this time span, I'd be all over it. There hasn't so out of curiosity I contacted the company. Their reply was,
"We make so many better (farther, faster, easier to throw) discs, that people need to learn how to change with the times...."
As a customer, I was kind of shocked. I asked myself what newer disc truly appealed to me, and I really can't say there has been one for a good 4 years nows. Improvements in plastic have been awesome, but i think discs molds have gotten less predictable. I'm sure they get requests like mine all the time, and I'm sure it irritates them.
I replied, "Times do change, but a disc golfer's technique shouldn't have to change dramatically to get results ...."
I am a forehand thrower, and although unorthodox, I don't think I am in a small minority. I do feel shafted by the current product lines, and their lack of attention to this type of throw. Personally, I think manufacturers should reconsider the purpose behind discontinuing certain styles. It is probably sales driven, yet very user unfriendly.
I've tried some other discs over the years, and they were ok. I sort of laughed inside when I saw that a handful of those frisbees have also, now been discontinued.
What's going on here?!- I may just be crazy.ha.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish they would make the flx drone a regular production model! That disc is so awesome! It is an integral part of every round now. I have a few extras but. not nearly enough.
im sure they probably will make the the flx drone a regular run, since if im not misstaken they sold out of there production run in like no time, and agreed it is now my favorite short range overstable mid as well, still wish though they could make it in z plastic.
DC! yo man how you been? I think the "Z Drone" would be to skippy like the champ gator. The flx plastic absorbs alot of that skip energy at the end of the throw. plus I think the flx plastic is holding up better. my drone is showing no signs of mellowing out and I've thrown it a million times since Feb. Hope it always stays just as much an overstable pig as the day I first threw it. I pulled out my spare the other day (which is virtually new) and they both still fly identical! I do think the "Z Drone" would be a monster overstable middie tho!
Nibs......I am lovin' the FLX drone as stable middy for forehand approaches. Held up for nearly 7 months now without any stablity changes. I concur about the flx plastic absorbing some of the skip. The rim is pretty wide (would prefer it to be narrower) and takes some time to get used to.....but usually I am fanning out my fingers when I am throwing the drone so it doesn't bother me.

If you are looking to stockpile some more I believe their is a new worlds edition run out there with an even cooler worlds stamp (Bell's Brewery Oberon sun worlds).

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/drone-2008-world-championship...
ryan, i as well was a xclone fan, there was a earlier post as a matter of fact were we all debateed this perticular disc, its wild to have someone else feel the same way about this perticular disc, as i agree with you that for some reason for me as well the xclone for a forehand shot just seemed the perfect disc, i could and still can crank one of them just about as far forehand as anything else ive tried, emphasis on just about, the flash and the destroyer have replace it for me and are definately an improvement, although as i posted on an earlier discussion on this perticular disc, it sure would have been cool to have been able to get a z plastic exclone, closest they came out with was at the end they had a run of eltie x plastic ones, mark didnt remember them, but i had a few, lost them all in the local watering holes, as towards the end after i had swiched to the flash i was using them as sacrafitials since they were so predictable for me. i still wonder though if they ever did a special run of z plastic xclones, as a disc collector that is my holy grail disc !
I think for me the difference is, i can put the X-clone through a tire on a rope or on a nice long "s" curve. I've had a hard time achieving those results. I can throw a few discs straight, but they really vere off at the end of the flight (x-clone won't).
I had the most beautiful "s" curve on that disc for years, and somehow by trying other discs i learned how to throw a really tight straight shot. I went back to an old x-clone and just recently (by accident) i started to find the long "s" again. I can really rifle it in there, but when i need distance i have to loosen up and let it fly on its on.

The main point I was getting at is this- it seems like the "S" curve on any other disc i've used is really wide! Maybe im too accustom to the x-clone....

DC ( DISCFUNCTIONAL CHRIS ) said:
ryan, i as well was a xclone fan, there was a earlier post as a matter of fact were we all debateed this perticular disc, its wild to have someone else feel the same way about this perticular disc, as i agree with you that for some reason for me as well the xclone for a forehand shot just seemed the perfect disc, i could and still can crank one of them just about as far forehand as anything else ive tried, emphasis on just about, the flash and the destroyer have replace it for me and are definately an improvement, although as i posted on an earlier discussion on this perticular disc, it sure would have been cool to have been able to get a z plastic exclone, closest they came out with was at the end they had a run of eltie x plastic ones, mark didnt remember them, but i had a few, lost them all in the local watering holes, as towards the end after i had swiched to the flash i was using them as sacrafitials since they were so predictable for me. i still wonder though if they ever did a special run of z plastic xclones, as a disc collector that is my holy grail disc !
no shit. my elite-x is holding up well. I refuse to throw it. Stupid me just paid 20bones for an origanal xclone- unthrown. 1995 lol

Ryan Andersen said:
I think for me the difference is, i can put the X-clone through a tire on a rope or on a nice long "s" curve. I've had a hard time achieving those results. I can throw a few discs straight, but they really vere off at the end of the flight (x-clone won't).
I had the most beautiful "s" curve on that disc for years, and somehow by trying other discs i learned how to throw a really tight straight shot. I went back to an old x-clone and just recently (by accident) i started to find the long "s" again. I can really rifle it in there, but when i need distance i have to loosen up and let it fly on its on.

The main point I was getting at is this- it seems like the "S" curve on any other disc i've used is really wide! Maybe im too accustom to the x-clone....

DC ( DISCFUNCTIONAL CHRIS ) said:
yeh ryan i know what you mean about the xclones flight path, the xclone would go pretty strait or s out if you needed it to thats why i liked it as well, i think the same result can be acheived with dx or pro versions of the wraith or destroyer, i always find z or champion plastics tend to be more overstable and tend to cut hard at the end of there flight, which is why lately as i hate buying anything other than good plastic that i am starting to throw less stable discs for fairway forehand shots and anhyzering the heck out of overstable discs for distance on open shots, but once again agreed there was something about the way the exclone flew that was different than most discs i throw today, but alas i have moved on and i am personally having good success with what im throwing now, and im sure with as many new discs that discraft, innova, and all the other brands out there are coming out with that there is something out there that has a simular flight path that maybe we havent tried yet.
hey nibs !! ive been good, playing way to much discgolf ( if thats posssible LOL) so havent been on here as much lalety, i agree with what your saying about the flx plastic being less skippy, i guess im just a big z plastic fan, the flx plastic for me is just a wee little to floppy for me, specially on hot days. although in the winter its money !!

Nibs Carter said:
DC! yo man how you been? I think the "Z Drone" would be to skippy like the champ gator. The flx plastic absorbs alot of that skip energy at the end of the throw. plus I think the flx plastic is holding up better. my drone is showing no signs of mellowing out and I've thrown it a million times since Feb. Hope it always stays just as much an overstable pig as the day I first threw it. I pulled out my spare the other day (which is virtually new) and they both still fly identical! I do think the "Z Drone" would be a monster overstable middie tho!
Horde your fav disc's! I like that idea, haha.

There's tons of plastic on e-bay. Just make sure no one outbids ya at the last second.

Good advice everyone! We still have a lot to learn from ya.

peace out

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968