www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have two DIscraft Predators. One is an ESP Predator, and looks really similar to the flick, with a pretty flat rim. I also have an ELite X one that looks like a cereal Bowl. Why are they so different? DOes anything specific change with the domey-ness of a discs?

Tags: Predator, difference, mold

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When analyzing two different discs as far as plastics go, the top and the outer rim can be different. The contour or shape of the inside lip are almost always the same. The dominess and the tops are different run to run for some reason. Primary fore handers are very partial to flat tops. Domey tops are not as big of a deal to big back handers.. so I have heard.
Shawn,
Predators come from a mold. A mold is a metal form that melted plastic is injected into. Once the disc pops out of the mold, it cools and forms whatever shape it will take.

A skillet is a metal implement used to cook food. But we know that not all items prepared in that skillet will come out the same. Change the ingredients, the heat, the length of cooking, etc and the results will vary.

Change the plastic, the heat, atmospheric conditions, etc and the results will vary as your two Predators demonstrate.

Dominess will alter flight characteristics. But you cannot say as an absolute rule that flat top discs are more stable than domey discs. It depends on the disc, the plastic and the degree of dominess. At one time Discraft made discs called the Cyclone(still in production) and the X-clone (out of production). These two discs had the same bottom and different tops (the two pieces of the mold). But generally the most overstable X-clones were the flat tops and the most overstable Cyclones were domey.

With the new wide rim drivers even tiny changes affect how stable they are. I'm not sure anyone can look at a disc and tell with certainty how stable it will fly. Even a few thousandths of an inch of variance in the nose angle will affect the flight. The nose angle is affected by how a disc dries after it leaves the mold. As the flight plate pops up (becomes more domey) it pushes the nose angle down.

So if you want to know how a disc will fly, the safest answer is to throw it. If you find a disc you love, try to get more from the same run and color. Or don't worry about it and just buy candy plastic. Whatever the disc does will stay the same for a long, long time. Figure out what it does and adjust your throw to it.

The manufacturers could control the variables to a greater degree and therefore create more predictable results but to do so would cost a lot of money. This would mean your costs for a new disc would skyrocket. Do you really want your next disc to cost big bucks? I am happy letting the ball golfers pay hundreds for their next driver while mine will retail for about $20.
My brother just forked over $50 on e-bay for an early run CE Firebird (his original was stolen from his house). He lost his other early run CE Valkarie years ago (they're going for even more $$$ on e-bay). He bought these on the course many years ago for $20 from a generous pro player.

IMO, those early run CE's were the SH*T. The more recent champion's are good, but not as good as those 1st run versions.

Mark, does this fall into that same category as you explained? Why don't they fly the same? I assumed a champion was as good as a champion edition. Did Innova change the type of plastic they used on the older CE's or did they want to use the STAR versions as their premier disc?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968