www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A few ideas I want to see a discussion started about.

#1: Does/has anyone besides me ever thought what a good idea it'd be for the PDGA course directory to list whether Dogs are allowed? It would take time..asking people to go in and check the box for dog or no dog for their home courses until all were covered. There is room in the print guide..right next to "Tee signs, Facilities, Camping Nearby..." it'd fit their with small lettering and wouldn't have to change the layout or increase page count. Could easily be done by adding that check-box to the website. Since it'd take awhile to figure them all out, it could start by printing 'dogs' when dogs are definitely allowed and "no dog" for dogs not allowed. That way when no one has gone in and added to the website about dogs, nothing will get printed for that year (2009 directory, and so on). Nothing means "not sure" and it'll be just like old times, but basically saying 'yes' or 'no' to dogs would help those who want to take their dog and can't find out any other way, or at least not with such ease. I have heard from several that they'd really appreciate that in the guide. Worth contacting the PDGA about and trying to do? Will you be willing to find out for all the courses near you and add that info.?

#2: I'd like to ask everyone on this website to check the official pdga.com course directions and see how good (or just plain horrible) they are for their home course(s). If they don't think they could find the course coming from out-of-town or state having never been there before, they could go out and write new directions and put them on the website. If everyone who reads this does that it'd changed 100's of directions and make it so much easier for possibly 1000's of people in the future. We all know how inadequate and sometimes just completely wrong the directions can be. Me more than anyone. Who is willing/going to go do this? Even just one person and I'd appreciate it, so will others.

#3: Marking your home course. Basically the same idea here..anyone willing to start an initiative to go out and mark-up your local course(s) better so that someone new to the sport or that course can play it with ease? I have played maybe 25+ courses this year that I'd call impossible to navigate, either entirely or just wasn't able to play all 9 or 18 holes and properly, without help. That's just an insane amount. I imagine many others at those course have had that problem. Sometimes, it's an easy fix.

I know it's usually vandals and time that ruin it for most courses and nothing can be done about those factors.

Easy fixes:
1- Face the number plate/number on chastity belt (if they have one) toward the TEE. Many times it can just be rotated so that you can actually tell what hole it is from where you are throwing to it. One course I just played this month had baskets that can be set to face anywhere, they were baskets on wheels bolted to a cement square. The number on the chastity belt did not face the tee on any hole. This did not make any sense to me. Also, to paint the number back on if it's faded or vandalized. A Sharpie can write on a Disccatcher..
2- Next tee markers. I played a course today where the 11th tee was a 1/2 mile walk down an unmarked trail. Not one sign telling you to take that trail, in that way, and how far to go. The directory mentions it, but it'd be nice to know for sure where you are going if you're gonna walk that far and just hope you stumble across it. Little arrows hanging from the basket are awesome. Usually the ones on the pole get kicked and end up pointing the wrong way, which is worse than having none.
3- It'd be easy to spray-paint the hole # and even length on the cement tee. Someone did that at Kensington a long time ago after the signs got ruined. That was appreciated. Hasn't been re-done since though. Always get permission from parks service.
4- If someone JERK ruins a sign, but there's still a wooden post/metal backing, take a Sharpie to it and write the number and draw a curve showing the basic fairway shape.
5- Multiple pin placements. For a local they can make a course. Adds variety and fun. For an outsider, it can make a course so hard to figure out it's not even worth trying sometimes. If there are 7 basket positions (some have 7 I've seen it) and a Tee sign showing 7 placements, cool. The problem comes when it does not show WHICH position the basket is currently in, or sometimes there is a system but no one bothered to update it when they moved the basket. Some signs would allow for putting a bolt in the sign for where the basket is, and moving the bolt to the other position when you move the basket. Some courses have message boards. List the positions there, someone can copy them down and bring it with them, like on their digital camera with a picture I've done that before. The thing I don't get is what the locals who didn't move the basket do on blind holes. How do they know if it's been moved if they haven't played for say a month. If they don't even know where the basket is, how can anyone else.
6- Hiding baskets/tees. So often I come across a basket on an otherwise wide-open hole, that's tucked right behind a wide tree and can't be seen until you walk up to it, or way of to the side. That's just frustrating. That tree is just as much in the way if 3 inches of the pin can be seen around the side of it. I don't throw straight line drives at wide open holes, who does? Hiding tees up over hills out of sight, behind a line of woods, etc, just makes it hard to navigate, doesn't add difficulty to the course.

Anyways thanks if you read that. Hopefully someone will reply and not angrily.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some great and practical ideas to help people at courses. Nice thoughts
Only takes a minute to write useful info on a worn-out/ruined disc and nail it to a tree.
Thanks Bill, Murph. If anything rings true about your home course you know what to do. Much appreciated.
we just did a trip to california, oregon and washington state ..... before we left i went to pdga online looked at the google maps for each course, found closest crossroads and inputed into my portable map navigator ....... we wouldn't have found half the courses without this useful tool .... the prep work really paid off .......... got us right to the courses..... we also where possible printed off the disc course maps, without them many courses are totally not naviagatable ....... if u have a link on your state's or province's website send them some sort of map that can be printed out before going to the course ... as for the dog thing, loose grumpy dogs on a course are a bummer, even friendly ones seem to crowd a tee box, i love dogs but ,,,,,
Good idea on the planning ahead if you can, just wish it didn't have to be that way. I just got off the phone with a local who understand how Steilacoom gets bad reviews from having like 40 tees and 27 baskets and 14 different 18 hole layouts, but nothing marked. Sounds like it's gonna be a silly day of safari golf. Better that club put time into marking a course than making tons of unplayable ones, it sounds like.
True about dogs but people who want to bring them and are resposible (10% of them) should be able to figure out ahead of time if they can.
Too hard for this trip to do that much leg-work, and for many people just wanting to go play, especially beginners. Courses just need to be easier to follow. Only recently when I read a review of Hudson Mills did it even occur that that pay to play former world championship course with signs and maps is hard to navigate. Someone wrote about how they couldn't find #7 on monster, long walk left out of woods with no signs pointing to it. Lots of work to be done out there to make these courses better. Wouldn't it be nice to just take a trip and not have to do all that leg work?
I didn't bring a printer, but have taken pics with my digital cam of the maps online this week and carried with me. Half the problem out there is vandals, can't just wait til they all die horrible deaths cause more just keep popping up.
Boom Boom Dino said:
we just did a trip to california, oregon and washington state ..... before we left i went to pdga online looked at the google maps for each course, found closest crossroads and inputed into my portable map navigator ....... we wouldn't have found half the courses without this useful tool .... the prep work really paid off .......... got us right to the courses..... we also where possible printed off the disc course maps, without them many courses are totally not naviagatable ....... if u have a link on your state's or province's website send them some sort of map that can be printed out before going to the course ... as for the dog thing, loose grumpy dogs on a course are a bummer, even friendly ones seem to crowd a tee box, i love dogs but ,,,,,
Hi Ben, here's my 2 pennies.

I like dogs too, but I wouldn't let them roam free around strangers, bring them to a ball golf course or tie'em up by the basketball courts while I played. Most dogs I see at the courses are friendly/playful, yet some can be intimidating (pitbulls for example). And, if people leave trash on the ground, chances are they'll leave the dog poo there for you to step in too! Dogs are great friends, but not very good disc golfers. Take'm for a walk or play frisbee with them in an open field.

I agree with you about directions. It's on us to check on them to see if they're correct. Simple, updated directions that don't confuse the hell outta us is not to hard to do.

As for course signage, I'm experimenting on ways to deter those vandals once and for all. Most courses begin with decent signage, but after seeing all that time and effort go down the drain, who would want to replace them constantly? I'm sure we could find a way to solve this without spending a ton of cash.

Hang in there Ben! Gas prices are down a little back in MI, hopefully they're lower by you too. Safe travels to ya! Peace
Set up a text msg auto-responder. Every course in the directory would have a number, posted somewhere on the course, maybe on a mini nailed to the first tee or a course sign. Say West Guth in Corpus Christi would be number 12345. You can text email addresses (getting a text number is $$$), so you'd text 12345-16@courses.discgolfersr.us and it would auto-respond with directions from 15's pin to 16's tee, 16's layout and distance and a description of OB/hazards, mandatories, etc.

Technilogically, this is not hard (I've done an text auto-responder using email for a web site I run) but getting all the info for every hole on every course would be the difficultly. Of course, this also assumes everyone texts and has a phone, but they do, don't they? :-)
Bottomless pits that swallow everything around the sign when it senses a bump?
Spikes that swing down and stab through someone's heart when it senses it's being vandalized? I like those ideas myself.
Or more realistically post more warnings to vandals, local police department sponsored signs.

I played a course today that was well marked, dedicatedly so. With next tee markers everywhere, durable signs, numbered baskets..it was wonderful. Congrats to the WSDGA club.
We could cover the signs with the sticky-glue traps they use for rats. That way people could walk by all day and laugh at the ass who thought they would be cute and mess with the course!

I'm sure the punks come out there to play too. It's sad when you see a group of teens "hanging-out" at the course, and not one of them even has a disc. I wish they'd just leave the courses alone.
windsurf17 said:
Set up a text msg auto-responder. Every course in the directory would have a number, posted somewhere on the course, maybe on a mini nailed to the first tee or a course sign. Say West Guth in Corpus Christi would be number 12345. You can text email addresses (getting a text number is $$$), so you'd text 12345-16@courses.discgolfersr.us and it would auto-respond with directions from 15's pin to 16's tee, 16's layout and distance and a description of OB/hazards, mandatories, etc.

Technilogically, this is not hard (I've done an text auto-responder using email for a web site I run) but getting all the info for every hole on every course would be the difficultly. Of course, this also assumes everyone texts and has a phone, but they do, don't they? :-)

hopefully no one was stoned when they read that or they may be buggin out. good idea but if disc golfers can't even write proper directions on paper or online and send them to pdga, they'll never get that all figured out.
I don't carry my phone for fear it'll break, when i kick my bag!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968