www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

For those of you who are interested, I've attached a scientific paper on The Physics of Frisbees. Note that this is a "regular" Frisbee's flight that is being described. Anyone out there able and willing to put this paper into ordinary English?

Tags: disc, flight, flying, frisbee, physics, spin, throw, trajctory

Views: 539

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't help with an english version, but I had a conversation recently with a non disc player who is a Phd. in aeronautical engineering. My question to him was, is an understable or overstable disc more efficient in flight? He was not able to give me a quick answer, and didn't give it another thought. Several weeks later, he tracked me down and told me that my question had been driving him crazy. He was able to understand the physics of propulsion and lift, as well as how variables would affect flight, but nobody could tell him how to design something with the intention of not flying straight. The best that he could come up with ( and he said that he wasn't the only Phd. working on this ) is to throw a stable disc with hyser or anhyser. My response to him that the trees on our local course made that impossible caused him to mumble something about a chainsaw. I guess that we have a natural sense of the proper if not the "best" way to get to where we need to be. I learned to play Frisbee Golf in the seventies with a Pro Model, and I haven't learned how to throw an overstable disc yet. Recalling something about old dogs and new tricks, I guess that it doesn't matter much to me, but I still want to know. If I find out anything else I'll be sure to post it.
That is such a great question. Especially for thouse understable discs that physically turn right at first even while turning clockwise. Maybe this question should be sent to those that actually make the discs, apparantly they know. Do you think the disc would act the same on the moon. Though its 30% gravity, wonder if the disc would still turn right then left again, then again there is no wind resistance, just gravity. So it may just go straight for a really long time.
"Flat Flip Flies Straight" . . . or so I've read.

Seriously, I look forward to the day when computer simulations can accurately render a disc golf throw, with all the inherent Real Life physics in play. Headwind, tailwind, crosswind; overstable, understable, stable; angle; pitch; amount of force. In short, a disc golf computer simulation on a par with the best of today's stick-and-ball golf computer games.
Here is another paper I found a few years ago.
http://www.odgc.ca/files/dg-flightphysics-mkIV.pdf
Here is another one with good photos of the air flow characteristics around the disc.

http://www.discwing.com/pdf/AIAA-2002-3150.pdf
I wonder if an anhyzer only provides a straighter line. If you measured total line the of the hyzer curve and compared it to the anhyzer line to get total distance traveled would you get a similar answer?

Cool question though, fun to ponder
Thats why I love this game
bump... lol
What's to know? ..You throw it...it goes for a while...then it comes down. Simple really? lol!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968