www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Me and my group of disc golf buddies are going to make a trip over to S.C. to watch the US Open.

i have some questions?

What should a spectator do and not do towards the players?
~ Autographs okay? Are they thought of a lame?

~ Can we look forward to anything else entertaining at Rock Hill?

~ How should we treat the pros after the tourney? if we see them at dinner or something... is it okay to say hi? or better left alone?

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Went last year for the first time (frankly, it rocks) but you should know:

1. Bring water, it's hot. I filled a 2L hydration back pack and had people asking me for some.

2. Autographs are more than cool. Pictures too, but be wary of pros coming into the clubhouse after a sh*tty round. Let them get to the off-limits-to-spectators camper for official scoring then give them the movie star treatment. As a bonus, they love signing discs from their own series (Team Star, Barry's Beasts, and KC Pro stuff for Ken, etc)

3. Rock HIll has nothing entertaining to offer except alcohol. Drive north to Charlotte or south to Columbia for any real partying, and if its a group outing go to Five Points area of Columbia near the USC campus.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday after driving in from Greenville, and hopefully on Sunday for a spectator round. Drop me an email when you head out.-- Bill
How do you sign up for the spectator round?

That is the main reason we are going and we want to make sure that we are going to get to play. Id imagine it would be busy. How many people are there? How many people play the spectator rounds...

I figured they would have refreshments with a ton of stuff to buy during the tournament.

Any idea how much it cost to play?
I didn't get to play a spectator round last year, still finding out more info on that. I played a tourny last weekend with a guy who is a volunteer there and he said he just gets a round in at 7am before they start the regular spectator rounds at 8.

I can find out pretty easily tho once I get hold of a local guy who plays a Sunday round every year. As far as refreshments, they are available at the club house but it is a major walk around the campus to get to it from anywhere but the first or last couple of holes. Last year it was well into the 90s.

Save your pennies for the pro shop, they have every Innova disc in all kinds of weights, as well as some sweet equipment/clothing and the USDGC Rocs go on sale at 10am Saturday, line starts about 8:30.

The spectator round is free I believe, I know one guy who went around 3 times last year.
well any additional info would help out.
definately thought this would be a bigger topic.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
usually on the USDGC website is the sign up for the spectator round. just keep checking the site out cause the earlier you sign up the better the chances of getting the start time you want.
Good to hear more spectators are planning the trip to the USDGC this year - I'm sure with this being the 10th one, JP is gonna come up with something really special for the players and spectators alike.

Including a link from the USDGC website (http://www.usdgc.com/usdgc-policies) with info regarding autographs, etc..... Water is a must - lightweight chairs are a good idea if you'd like to "camp out" at a particular spot to watch how different groups make the same shot...

Can't wait for this year's show!
I cant wait either.

My first time out and this is a great first timers event, couldnt ask for anything better. Im actually skipping a tournament to go watch this one.
YES! I cannot wait!!!!!!! leaving saturday morning from MI and will be camping sat, sun, mon. any recommendations on campsite options? any college bars and/or brewpubs in the area? other recommendations from locals as far as fun stuff to do?
i just spent 10 mins trying to find a schedule for the tournament. it does not appear to exist. also sunday spectator rounds are $5.
Not fully sure how much of this is readily found on USDGC.com - pulling from past years and other message boards (Charlotte's club site www.charlottedgc.com -- and I'm sure we'll have more info on our board as the time gets closer rhdgc.yuku.com)

Saturday / Sunday - September 27-28 is the US Doubles Championship - which will be played at Hornet's Nest/ Renaissance (Saturday) and Winthrop Championship layout on Sunday morning 24 teams of pros, 24 teams of Ams -

Monday - September 29 - last chance qualifier - top scores earn entry into the USDGC (up to 5 in the past)
Monday / Tuesday - Sept 29/30 - practice rounds for the competitors

Wednesday - Oct. 1 - first tee - this was at 8:00 AM last year -- but has been earlier - groups teed off every 8 minutes until 1:36 last year. -- 1 rounds takes about 4 hours...

Thursday / Friday - see above.

Saturday - Field is cut - First tee was 8:00 AM - teeing off every 10 minutes until 12:40... then 20 minutes before the 2nd card at 1:00... and another 30 minutes before the lead card at 1:30...

After the last putt - the distance "showcase" is set up - which is simply awesome
Then the awards ceremony

Unfortunately - for the other two questions - I have no details (don't drink, don't camp)
I'm going with you WHOOO!!
alright thanks! i figured first round was wednesday, but i just found it funny that there was no schedule available for the best event in the US. no doubles for me, i need all the practice time i can get on the course. good thing the rope will be up when i play it for the first time on sunday. don't drink i understand but you don't CAMP?? : )
see you down there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968