www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We're attempting to install a course in Davison, MI. To make installation as convenient as possible for the all volunteer workers, we're considering rubber pads instead of concrete.

Has anyone played on a Fly 18 rubber mat? Are they any good? I've read other threads about tee pad alternatives (wood, berber, limestone, pee gravel) none of which sound as easy to install as laying down a piece of rubber.

What are Fly 18 Pads like?

Tags: pads, rubber, tee

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi AC

Does the installation of concrete pads have to be done by union workers? Or will the rubber mats be used for a convenience? I've played on a few rubber tee pads (I think goldenrod and one in royal oak) and didn't really like them that much. I prefer concrete pads myself. But, it's not my course or money.
I love rubber tee pads, long enough and very good traction...
We installed rubber tee pads at our local 9 hole in Carbondale, CO. That was about 3 years ago [I think]. We laid down small gravel, and installed the pads on top. They've held up pretty well, but there are some tears around the sides and corners. Overall, I would say they are holding up well and will last several more years.
They were easy to install.

I like playing on them, they work well. Considering the winters we have here, I think they're holding up really well. Because they are black, we just kick the snow off of them in the winter and they dry very quickly.
I just spoke at length with Reese Sweeny the owner of Fly18. Great guy. He DOES recommend laying down crushed limestone (some companies call it "crusher run" or "screening") prior to laying down the pads. He said you can get that delivered for around $50 for 750 lbs (sounds optimistic). You use about six 5 gal. buckets per pad. That's easier than trying to wheelbarrow sloshy concrete through a forest. Plus you don't have to box in the limestone.

That guy knew his stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968