www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What has the wizard got vs my star aviar? I'm really considering buying some new Gateway discs and I've heard wonders about the wizard.

Is it great for putting or just driving like I've been told by an..expert

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea you are, don't lie
well, better than my rating of nothing, so you're an expert to me
the wizard is almost the same mold i perfer the aviar it's more accurate
Kyle Jacob Smalling said:
well, better than my rating of nothing, so you're an expert to me
Yes the expert also said they have a bead
Now just so you know i have never used an avair. I started with the wizard and was in love with it for putting (didn't even occur to me to use for upshots). Then at the st louis open last year i got a warlock in the players pack. I threw it on and off. Some one suggested I play a round with putters only. I was hooked and hell bent on the warlock being the best ever for the straight line to the basket and the wizard if i need to do something floaty around a bend. I love the gateway putters (still do not have a gateway driver that i really like) so much that i thought i would try the magic. This is my within 30-40 foot disk and i am using the warlock and wizzard for upshots. My advice is to listen to the man about the bow and arrow philosophy. Get a putter that feels good to through, do not count on the disc to change your level of play. If buying online remember that gateway discs are a little firmer than they sound (my soft discs from them would be a medium or hard with other makers). Happy putting!!
in general a bead on the bottom of the rim will increase stability (ie. more low speed fade) therefore a wizard should fade more than your aviar in similar plastics.....star plastic doesn't beat up as fast though...... IMO if you like aviars you should probably try them in regular dx plastic for feel and grip.....

if you don't like a bead......the warlock is more like your aviar......or try a D plastic challenger
I am an old Aviar guy but when I started back playing I picked up a SSS Wizard cause back in the day there was no such thing as Gateway Golf Discs. I liked it for putting and used it for some time but eventually went back to my Aviars because that is what I feel comfortable using. I liked the bead on the wizard which gives it some more stability which helps for windy days and hyzer putting. I do not use a star aviar but use DX aviars. After using the wizard I went out and got some KC Aviars with a nice bead and have not used my SSS since. From my experience, changing putters usually in the short term, makes you concentrate a little more on your putting which can mean putting better but once the newness wears off its back to the same results. Try some out, one thing to remember is try to get 2 identical putters for practicing and having a backup.
Sorry to go OT here but what is "bead" mean? I read on a different site that it has something to do with the rim of putters & mid-range discs but I don't understand it. I have a few Aviars in DX plastic. How do I figure out their "bead"?

Thanks.
Wizard has a flatter dome and a bead. The Aviar is more domey and has no bead. What does this mean? The Wizard is more stable than the Aviar and has less glide. The Wizard also has less of a chance of skipping through chains because it transfers most of its energy into the chains while the Aviar maintains the energy in the disc allowing for more penetration and skip throughs. But the biggest difference is still definitely the bow like Mark said.

If you look at the bottom edge of the discs above, the white one has a bead on the bottom of the wing and the black one does not. Look where the disc meets the table.
Ah, I get the bead thing now. Thanks.
overall i like the feel of my aviar over wizards but really it's all what you like and what works for you not works for others try the different disc and figure out what you like and what works
Okay, from the sounds of this, I'll stay with my aviars

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968