www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Are the world champion if you just win the worlds tournament?

Or are you the worlds champion if you win like a bunch of tournaments on tour...

just kinda seems wrong to call the worlds champion someone who just wins one event?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you win the World Championship, you are the World Champion.

It is the same in nearly every sport.
Disc Golf World Championship!!! World!!! There are people here from Russia (met him yesterday), and I'm sitting here at Timber Ridge watching people practice putting and there's about 5 of them that are from Japan. I'm sure there are more from all over the world. So yes, i say if you win the World Championship you would be considered the World Champion!!!!!
It's not the same in nearly every sport.

Bill Bullington said:
If you win the World Championship, you are the World Champion.

It is the same in nearly every sport.
Thank you, in ball golf there are 4 world championships a year + they have the fedex cup and the best player of the year award. So to say your the "world champion" means something different in other sports.

So...

When Climo states hes the 12 time world champion, that only means he won a disc golf tournament 12 times right?
sure its just one tourney
but its one tourney where THE BEST OF THE BEST from all over the world come to play
so i dont think its wrong to call it world champion
Okay, apperently some didnt get my drift. i was just wondering if it indeed was a one tournament gig or a year long award.

thats all, it wasnt whether it was right or wrong really. I dont care if its a one tournamnet gig or a year long award.. I just think a year long award would be more fitting.

Plus to what you stated earlier..... super bowl, world series, etc...

yeah those accomplishments are based on a seasons worth of work, so there not 1 time gigs either.
Ok, I forgot to mention that this is by invitation. The PDGA has a points system or rating system. You earn points based on how many tourneys you play during the year and where you place in those tourneys. This determines your "Player rating". You then, depending on your rating get invited to play in the Disc Golf World Championship.

So I guess, in a sense you play many tournaments to get you to this point. And then if you win this tournament "The Worlds" you are consider the "World Champion". Ken Climo is the 12 time Pro World Champion.

Hope this helps!!
The world championships is a one tournament gig but you carry the title for the year. It's just like any world championship, aka baseball. You can't be knocked off until the next world championship aka like in boxing. If you think about it that makes sense as DG is like BG where it is easy to loose.

However, as in ball golf, a world championship of one event has little meaning. This event is used as much as anything as a hallmark of our status as a sport. It has (I believe) the biggest payout and the most attention. It's our showcase event. But there are many other more relevant measures of success in the sport.

Events won, money won, points earned etc. Perhaps what you're suggesting is that the PDGA should have a measure of world champion that goes beyond this one event. If so, I agree.
I can see USDGA or the Players Cup being bigger (maybe the Japan Open is close) but those were the only ones that came to mind.
Ball golf has no world championships to speak of. They have majors and a championship "race" in the Fed Ex cup, but no "world championship".

PDGA Worlds is basically a major championship (like the Masters or the British Open), but since it was the first and for a long time the only one in disc golf, it acquired the "world championship" moniker. Truly, it is more of a festival and a "family" reunion as much as it is a competition. It is where all of the disc golf world gathers together to celebrate the game. 900 people don't descend on USDGC or Players Cup and get to play. In that way, it's unique to most any sport...except maybe the World Series of Poker.

And as in any other sport, the winner of the "world" championship is not necessarily the best in the world, just the best on that particular day/week. The winner of the Super Bowl is called "World Champion" but they were just the best on that day. Ditto the World Series or the Stanley Cup or whatever else. Tiger Woods has never been golf's World Champion, just a 14 time Major champion (and 1 time FedEx Cup champion, and multi-time Player of the Year).

Donnie Reece said:
Thank you, in ball golf there are 4 world championships a year + they have the fedex cup and the best player of the year award. So to say your the "world champion" means something different in other sports.

So...

When Climo states hes the 12 time world champion, that only means he won a disc golf tournament 12 times right?
so i guess since ken climo has won it 12 times he just has lots of good days ;)
im gunna disagree with you on this one JC and in fact who ever wins the superbowl is the best team in the world they kicked @$$ all season thats the reason why they are in the superbowl
To each his own I guess. 18-1 is inferior to 14-6 simply based on when the one loss came for the 18-1 team. Ok. To be sure, winning 18 and losing the final game is a choke job, but I think 9 times out of 10 they probably win that game. It happened to be #10 on that night. Any given Sunday, as they say.

And please don't misconstrue what I said about PDGA Worlds as some kind of slight of anyone who's won it. It takes a very good golfer having a very good week to win that tournament. That's why there's never been what you could classify as a fluke to win it. But winning it doesn't automatically make one the best golfer in the world. A great golfer to be sure, but not automatically the best, especially for an entire year.

D.J, said:
so i guess since ken climo has won it 12 times he just has lots of good days ;)
im gunna disagree with you on this one JC and in fact who ever wins the superbowl is the best team in the world they kicked @$$ all season thats the reason why they are in the superbowl

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968