www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Im a rec player and when i play events i feel that i am pressured to get better from better players.

Is there anyting wrong with being a rec player? I mean, you could be the greatest rec player of all time.

I know the goal is to get better and believe me i constantly try, but sometimes I feel like I am just going to be a rec/intermediate player (depending on the field i can play intermediate im sort of on the fringe.

Who is the average player?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think they're worried about sandbaggers and they deserve to be (there are a lot of sandbaggers). If you are winning the rec division, they'll want you to move up. If you are middle-to-bottom of the rec division then you are clearly not sandbagging, just tell them you're casual-to-rec, like it that way and "bug off!"
nothing wrong with playing rec at all. at some recent tournaments in the Dallas area Ive seen a HUGE amount of rec and Int players, which is great because I'm a middle of the pack Int player and usually means a lot of newer players who one would expect to get better and move up.or just that there are a lot of players at those levels being involved with the sport, which is great also.
then again, I know there is probably an equal or higher number of players who would be at the rec/int lvl that don't, or haven't played in any tournaments also. so without taking some huge survey, I'd say we are all the average player :) like windsurf17 said, play your game and let others think what they want.
unless you are consistently wining rec,hehe.
If you are constantly winning rec or close to it it is a good idea to move to intermediate. It also helps your game to play with better players. It is fun to get your ass kicked at times :)
do you want the title of Greatest MA3 player? thats almost saying you were never good enough to go anywhere, which is most likely not true. I say Step Up! I was throwing alright in MA2 for years, and finally made myself practice to get at a MA1 level. Its possible buddy, have some determination!
I humbely accept the title as the greatest AVERAGE player of all time!

I started playng in 1979 - my average was +5 per round
In the 80's - my average was +5 per round
In the 90's - my average was +5 per round
and currently - my average IS +5 per round
(actually in some mathematical algorythm, statistically staying the same while aging 30 years could be considered an improvement!

I believe I also hold the record for most games without an ace. FOUR DECADES...NO ACE!!!
(again, in some mathimatecal equation is has to be close to impossible to throw something at a target at never even hit it on accident!!!) http://www.discgolfersr.us/group/acelesssupportgroup

:)
Who is the average player? I think the "average" player doesn't play tournaments or leagues. I don't know his or her name. He throws a wicked long forearm Monster when he has a enough real estate to work with. Then he throws three seemingly randomly aimed up shots at the basket and then smacks the chains with his Monster. He owns 3 discs. A blue Monster and a red Monster and a disc that he found in the river that is so river worn that you can't discern what kind of disc it is or what its original color might have been. He doesn't own a putter and thinks that people who own putters and carry bags are stupid.

That's my FBI profile of the average player.
haha we call those newbies were i come from and trust me there lots of them
the funny thing is in most cases those 2 monsters used to be mine and he found them and didnt call back

i would say the average player is someone who has been playing for 1 to 5 years and pretty much doesint plan on stepping up his game
he might have 20 discs in his bag and he might even be good enuf to play tourneys but he chooses not too just because he plays the game for fun not to compete just to have a good time there is nothing wrong with the average player
but really dont you thrive to be the next ken climo
even if you know it will nexer happen dont you just have the drive to be great?
idk how anyone couldnt

Jon Brakel said:
Who is the average player? I think the "average" player doesn't play tournaments or leagues. I don't know his or her name. He throws a wicked long forearm Monster when he has a enough real estate to work with. Then he throws three seemingly randomly aimed up shots at the basket and then smacks the chains with his Monster. He owns 3 discs. A blue Monster and a red Monster and a disc that he found in the river that is so river worn that you can't discern what kind of disc it is or what its original color might have been. He doesn't own a putter and thinks that people who own putters and carry bags are stupid.

That's my FBI profile of the average player.
Yep, that Avg. Player is ME! ;) At 53, with arthritis and other med problems and only starting to play DG a year ago, I seriously doubt I'll ever be "better" than a "Rec Level" player!! LOL, all the players my age are just old Pro's or AM1 players that have "stepped" down a notch and now are "BAGGERS" In Grandmaster! :O It's hard to get "up" to the idea that in a tournament I'd have to play against age 20 or younger players that put's me at total disadvantage from the start. Still I might just work up and try some touraments next year, I KNOW that I won't get beat up about being a "bagger" in Rec., LOL! ;)

Take care, have FUN, Throw Plastic!

B.J. (bogeyman) Ondo
Pikes Peak Flying Disc Club
Colorado Springs, CO.
Ya sound like someone who advocates for the am model!

This sport is full of pressures to do and be all kinds of things. The only pressure you should consider is from that guy you see in the mirror in the morning. If he likes playing rec and has fun being there, good on him!

BTW - the fastest way to an exit from this sport is to try and play over your head. Guys push to move up all the time and end up quiting.

Last point, Jon is correct, I see more guys that fit his definition than any other. They seem to be the guys having the most fun...
Well Donnie Reece, you are not average- you play tournaments! A tournament Rec player is far better and more motivated than the average casual player on the average course. If you want to be average you need to regress and forget about things like keeping score, following rules (especially courtesy and vandalism) and realizing how good some players become. You should also wipe out any hidden desires to practice and get better.

The average player plays with the same group of people and will never enter a tournament and will never get significantly better than their buddies. They have no need to and many have no real desire to. Which is fine. We are all average at some things and suck at others (with truly few exceptions like Dr Rick Voakes who is a Renaissance Man) Only when we find something that really clicks with us do we go to the effort to establish competance or greater.

An average, resonably athletic guy (or girl) should be able to eventually compete credibly at Am 1 level, if they have the motivation. The only hard part of disc golf is putting. Throwing with a modicom of power and control is not all that difficult. Eventually most players can become proficient at throwing. Putting is a whole different animal. But even the weakest putters can find a putting stroke and putting head with enough motivation.

So how good can a given player get? Motivation and talent are co-equal limiting factors.

I had no idea that Jon Brakel was even in the FBI. I need to be more careful. Does Jon realize his own brother is a terrorist? or an revolutionist? or one of those Ists?
i don't know your age but starting at 40 you'll have another division choice.
mark ellis said:
I had no idea that Jon Brakel was even in the FBI. I need to be more careful. Does Jon realize his own brother is a terrorist? or an revolutionist? or one of those Ists?

Ever since my sister took and passed the FBI's law enforcement hand gun qualification test, I have a tendancy to throw that FBI thing around. My sister isn't with the FBI either; she's a probation officer. So, I figure if she can take FBI qualifiying tests, I can write FBI profiles.

I know Bruce is a pain in the arseist and a yank-your-chainist, but a revolutionist? He might be the revolutionist of his own life, but he's not leading any revolutions that take place outside of his own head that I know of...although his head is freakishly large.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968