www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A young man had finally decided to move away from his families home. He had packed his only possession, a little dinner plate, and left without a word. After many days of wandering, he began to starve. Suddenly, his nose caught fire with the smell of food. He ran and ran until he found himself in a bazaar of sorts. People were everywhere. His hunger panged in his gut.
"Free food for the guys with the orange hats," the bearded man yelled into the crowd.
"Where can i get an Orange hat," asked the young man nervously.
"Oh, you cant have one; Sorry sir, no CHANCE at this food, now move along."
The younger man sulked at this let down. Why couldn't he sit down and eat the bountiful meal with the older bearded gentlemen. Our friend had nearly given up hope, and was about to leave, when from another side of the crowded fairground he heard a burley voice exclaim. "Free food for the guys with Blue hats," and again, "People with Blue hats, step right up." Our friend made his way through the crowd. He saw the man with the growling burley voice, and behind him, well, food for miles. "Can I help you," bellowed the man.
"Oh, well, hello sir, I am very hungry, where can i get a Blue hat?"
"All you have to do is ask my friend. No codes or restrictions here. "
"WOW, thats great. You mean they have all this food and i can just ask for a Blue hat and be part of it?"
"Thats right! We let anyone in to our feast."
The young mans face swiveled from side to side as he eyed through the crowd. Everything was wonderful, and then, suddenly he was stumped by what he saw. There were men with orange hats eating at the tables. Well, they had on Blue hats, but also orange ones!!! "Sir," the young shouted, "those men have on orange hats!!!"
"Oh thats OK my little friend," boomed the man, " We let all people who wish join us here." The Large man spread his arms wide to demonstrate that he meant the whole crowd. The younger man looked confused. "But sir, There is another area on the other side of the fairground, where..." he paused, " where the orange hats are eating!" Suddenly, a loud grumble came from the large man, it was followed by a deep, exhaustive laugh. It was so loud that many a person turned his head to see what was so funny. When he finished laughing, the large man took a deep breath " why young man, you must be new here," the young man nodded, "Well, it could mean many things. Maybe there are not a lot of orange hats around today, and these gentlemen didn't want to eat alone, or with just a small crowd," said the large man. As the young man listened he curiously eyed all the people eating, and nodded his head. "But thats not all," the large man said, "Maybe the Orange hats came and saw that the Blue hats in here had smaller plates. You see," the large man continued, and bent over to console the confused young man, "The Blue hats always have better food, but somedays, only blue hats with small plates show up. When an Orange hat sees that he has a chance at better food, AND with a bigger plate.... well my boy," he said " do you see where Im going?" The young man looked down at his shoes. After a moment he looked up. "But, how come they can eat here and when they see that it benefits them, or when they are just a few, but...... but, they wont let anyone else into their area?" At this, the large man pursed his lips and began to knuckle his forehead. "Well son, " said the large man, " I guess thats just the way it is. Some people have choices, they are free to move about the the fairground.... kind of like an all access pass." The young man quickly stammered in, "what about blue hats?" The large man shook his head and frowned. "The Blue hats have it rough here. Usually, there a lot of them around. Sometimes there are quite a few with large, gigantic plates. On these days, there just isn't enough food...." "but sir" the young man interrupted, " Where else can the blue hats go to get food?" The Large man took another deep breath, " its very difficult.. you see, once a blue had has eaten in the blue tent, he cant eat anywhere else, well, at least not for a long time. The Orange hats are free to go where the food is better, or the plates are smaller, but the Blue hat cannot. It is just the way it is."
The young mans eyes began to tear up and he said, "but i just got here, and i have only this tiny, tiny, plate to eat with. Where can I go?
"Well, my boy," said the Large man, "you can go into the Blue tent, but there is a chance your small plate wont get any food. But, you can also go where all the other very small plates go." The young mans eyes lit up with hope. "where is that, please tell me, Im so hungry"... "Well," The large man said, " you can go to a vender and he will give you vitamin pills. They are like food, but without the familiar smell, and texture."
He could not take anymore. It was all so confusing. How come some people could go where ever they wanted, and some were could not. The young man began to walk away, shoulders slumped. Behind him he heard words echoing from the large mans chest and mouth. "Be careful my boy, for one day, you will want real food and not those vitamin pills any longer. Make sure you are ready for real food. Bring a large plate back with you, because once you've tasted the Blue hats food, and receive your own blue hat.... you're stuck with them. Remember, a big plate...!"

Tags: Frizzak

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just gave a complete "service for 4" of Shamrock Fiesta Ware to a corner greasy spoon in Ann Arbor called the Cloverleaf. (Extra Christmas gifts and I like the owners.)

I'm kinda hoping I get some free cheeseburgers on those green plates. ;-)
So, what is your suggested solution to the 'orange hat/blue hat' problem. From your undertone I gather you are not happy with the way things currently are. Is there a better way?
If you play Masters, play Masters. Don't pick and choose depending on strength of field or cash pay out. Why is there added cash in a division that is only accessible to 40+ year old MEN. It is protected.
So when you are a pro master you no longer deserve any added cash? I don't get it. Why discriminate? There are gender protected divisions as well. People can't help that they age, or that they are born a woman/man. Should the women also see none of the cash?
I don't care who it is, the more players in the open field, the happier I am. I take it as a challenge. If a 1015 rated 44 year old decides to play open in an event when there are only three other pro masters and 18 Open men, I say bring him on. If I, at 33, can't beat a 44 year old, then I guess I have some practicing to do. I guarantee you when I get to be a Master, I will be more than happy to have a little added cash thrown my way, so I don't mind at all giving them their deserved portion. I don't get upset when a stud master enters the open field, I am happy to have a chance to play with and/or beat them. The way I see it is just another 25 year old 1015 rated player.

There are over 40 leagues in many sports that allow their players to play in leagues dominated by younger, more prime athletes. Disc golf is not beg enough to support an entire tour for only Masters, Women, Grandmasters etc. Until it is, I think the PDGA definitely has this one right.

I'm not a math guy, but I bet the percentage of Masters cashing in open divisions in tournaments is under 10%, probably closer to 5%. I think the majority of them have 'paid their dues' and have earned the right to play Open or Masters, depending on the situation. I know I will want that luxury when I'm a master.

Maybe a the PDGA could make it 45 or even 50 to be a master, that would make those pesky dominant masters think twice before they entered into the open field to try and steal some of our hard earned money.

I've heard Open players complain about this before. I, frankly, do not understand it at all. I did however, enjoy reading your Blue Hat/Orange Hat story, well written analogy.
Thanks for enjoying the story. In fairness, I don't mind when they play open either. I just hate the choice they have. A former incredible Open player, now 39, and still awesome, told me word for word. "Why would I play Open? I can just play masters, easily finish in the top 5 and get a good payday." That pissed me off. Because you know what, he won masters! Basically, what i ultimately wish for IS the higher age for masters. The line is so undefined as it stands. 30 to 40 is the same. I don t think a discgolfer's skills decline until after 45....It is clearly shown to be so in the worlds championship.
I agree about masters age needing to be moved up.... the PGA Champions Tour age is 50+... Tom Watson and many others are still VERY competitive with the younger players when he plays in the masters and other majors. 50+ should be the age for disc golf as well. At 50, you can start to actually SEE a difference in mobility, flexibility, strength, etc... in most people.

On that same note, I have also seen plenty of dgers in their 40's who looked like they were well into their 50s because of their 'habits'!!!!! Maybe 40 is actually 50 for a lot of DGers!!!

That last comment was typed while crossing my fingers..........takes talent.......
LSDiscs Bren said:
I agree about masters age needing to be moved up.... the PGA Champions Tour age is 50+... Tom Watson and many others are still VERY competitive with the younger players when he plays in the masters and other majors. 50+ should be the age for disc golf as well. At 50, you can start to actually SEE a difference in mobility, flexibility, strength, etc... in most people.

On that same note, I have also seen plenty of dgers in their 40's who looked like they were well into their 50s because of their 'habits'!!!!! Maybe 40 is actually 50 for a lot of DGers!!!

That last comment was typed while crossing my fingers..........takes talent.......
still old and kicking your ass
Similar things can be said about people in all divisions who should really move up and give the rest of the honest field a chance at cashing weather that be plastic or cash. I have seen plenty of guys that should move up to higher AM levels and even PRO but they know they will place in the tail end of the field instead of taking a bunch of plastic home. As far as the masters go, I know a few and they don't play like that, if they play open it is because there are not enough masters in the field and they would like some competition. I feel if they win in the open division then they deserve it. Us young guys have that option coming to us in the future also. Like some of our parents told us, "someday when your older, you can do that too". I always hated that! "it's not fairrrr"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968