www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have hurt my throwing shoulder and have decided to play lefty for drives and baby my arm with lite weight up shots. I have 3 tourneys this month and I am itching to play. How do you feel about me playing down a division? Any suggestions for get the most out of a lefty drive? I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Keep in mind I have only drove lefty one other time. Thanks for your thoughts!

Update! I shot a 60 on the temp course and a 64 on the other with 8 total mulligans (it was for charity). I played in my division (advanced) and ending up getting the 23 tag. I appreciate all the advice. I am a righty batter and I did practice driving with the bat swing in mind with minimal wrist position modification. I used the ROC allot. The wind was variable and 15mph. I just made sure that my second shot was close to the pin. I am looking forward to the challenge again next weekend at the month end. Shoot well everybody!

Tags: Injured, advice!, needs, player

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aloha Jamie,

I have had a similar problem for the last few months, except I am a lefty, and my injury is a tennis elbow problem.

So, I have had to play righty now for about the last month and a half. I have a monthly tournament this weekend, and a hugh PDGA event next weekend. From my perspective, I have noticed that as I play throwing right handed, and after playing several rounds my distance and accuracy seems to be improving by leaps and bounds. In terms of playing in a tournament, I don't think there should be any problem playing down. I normally play in the Open Masters division, but, with the injury, will probably play in the AM2 division for both tournaments. I think we have an advantage being that we know the game and the mechanics of how to throw, so throwing with your other hand feels a bit strange I admit at first, and i'm sure that throwing off the tee feels very odd at first too, but you'll start to get use to it and get into a rhythm soon. What I learned is that you need to just keep working on your form, rather than trying to throw real hard, just like we tell beginners, right. The distance will come and funny enough, the hardest part for me was, having to think like a righty would when throwing, because being a natural lefty, when I am ready to take my next shot, or even off the tee my mind is naturally thinking about angles and areas to throw to from a lefty perspective. However, now I have had to actually change the way I think about each shot more carefully from a righty perspective. Also, forget the run up tee shot, just try to simply walk up and throw, trying to keep your arm straight. Seems to work for me.
I feel for you my brotha.I have a broken pinky on my throwing hand and it hurts to fling my wrist man. I have a tourney on the 9th and get my cast off on the 1st, but I dont thing it is healing correctly.Play down a division.You have a "handycap".You may try to tomahawk if you can.Thats the only way I can throw hard drives as a lefty.Anyway hope you heal up and good luck at those tourneys.Travis
Thanks for all the replies. I will try the walk up nd I will need to do some rehab for sure. I am however excited about the challenge of lefty. I can putt righty and throw a putter for an 80 foot up shot but that is the limit. Thanks for all the advice. Shoot well in your respective tourneys.
Jamie,

I did a SEVERE number on my rotator cuff when I was 17 (20 years ago) that sometimes acts up when it starts to get cold/damp or I've been playing a lot of rounds...so I've forced myself to learn to at least be "decent" with my right hand (I'm a leftie, like Allen). The thing that has helped me a LOT right-handed is a simple three-step X-step. I don't get the power/distance off the tee that I would with my dominant hand! However, I've been able to get a lot better about my accuracy (with the distance steadily improving) if I just stick to my guns. Step-step-step-release! I think developing a consistency of motion and release points/angles is incredibly important...especially when you're talking about your "other" hand.

Not sure if that helps at all, but I wish you the very best of luck!
If you ever played Baseball it is kind of like batting right handed. same arm motion from back to front only you dont turn your wrist over as much.
Join Disc Golf Safety and Injury Reports Club ... great place for threads like this so other injured players can follow how this goes for you.
All the posts here would be helpful for others to read, that's why we started the club, so the information can be shared.
I did that a few years back...just make sure you friends are at least 70 degrees back from lateral and a good 20 feet of fthe box LOL-ask me how I know!
I just started a project to track disc golfer's playing time and injuries to assess the safety of the sport. All players need to do is register for the site and log their playing time each week. You can participate for 1 week, all 21 weeks, or any time in between. Also, if you have an injury, please fill out the injury log.
http://www.sportsdc.net/DGStudy
Please add this site to your local message boards so we can get a lot of people involved. I think the information would be helpful to players, course designers, park departments, and manufacturers. I also hope to have the data published in a journal.
Thanks for your help.
Dr. Doug Maxeiner

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968